Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 10:59
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Summary for The GI Diet

Plans name: The G.I. Diet (2002).

Books:
The G.I. Diet, published 2002, by Rick Gallop.
Living the G.I. Diet, published 2003 by Rick Gallop and Emily Richards.
Living the G.I. Diet (Revised) by Rick Gallop available Jan. 2006.
The Family G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop and Dr. Ruth Gallop available Jan. 2006.

About the Authors:
Rick Gallop is the past president of The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario.
Emily Richards is a professional home economist with a B.Sc. in food and nutrition.
Dr. Ruth Gallop, Rick's wife, is Professor Emeritus at the University of Toronto with a particular interest in women's emotional health and well-being.

Basic Philosophy:
Rick Gallop has developed a diet that addresses the three main reasons many dieters fail and re-gain their weight.
1. They feel hungry or deprived.
2. Diets are too complex with measuring and counting of calories, grams, blocks, quotas etc.
3. They do not feel healthy.
Measuring and listing the G.I. (glycemic index) of foods was developed by Dr. David Jenkins, a professor of nutrition at the University of Toronto, the G.I. measures the speed at which foods are broken down by the body to form glucose, the body's source of energy. He discovered that high G.I. foods break down quickly and leave you looking for the next food fix. Low G.I. foods break down more slowly and leave you feeling fuller, longer. It is these low G.I. foods that form the core of the diet.
The G.I. Diet encourages eating carbohydrates such as fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans and low fat dairy, while saturated fat is virtually eliminated. If there is one thing that all the health, medical and nutritional authorities agree upon it is that a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, lean meat/fish and whole grains is essential for long-term good health. The G.I. Diet in a nutshell.
Rick Gallop developed the "traffic light" idea in this diet, which makes all the calculations for you by listing all foods in three traffic light color categories: red light foods which you avoid if you want to lose weight; yellow light listings are foods that are to be used occasionally; and green light foods that you can eat as much as you like.
Finaly the G.I. Diet will not let you go hungry or feel deprived, and will actually reduce your risk from heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and many cancers.

By the numbers:
Eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Never go hungry. No counting of calories, blocks, fats or carbohydrates . Eat from the green light list of foods until you feel full but not stuffed.
Method:
Phase 1 - Weight loss.
Phase 2 - Maintenance.
Phase 1:
Eat exclusively green light foods (low glycemic).
Eat three principle meals per day plus three snacks.
Control portions to 1/4 plate low g.i. carbs, 1/4 plate protein, 1/2 plate vegetables or fruit.

Typical menu:
Breakfast
Cereal & fruit
1/2 cup cooked old fashioned or steel cut oats with skim milk and sliced almonds or fruit.
or
1/2 cup fiber one topped with skim milk. Add a piece of chopped fruit.
Morning snack
A small handful of nuts.
Lunch
Toasted ham, cheese & tomato sandwich
Make an open faced sandwich with a low GI grainy bread, shaved lean ham, tomato slices and a slice of low fat cheese. Season and toast under the grill. Add a cup of lentil & barley soup
Afternoon snack
Low fat no added sugar yogurt.
Dinner
Quick and easy pork & apple slices
Cook thin pieces of pork loin steak (allowing 100g uncooked per person), in pan sprayed with cooking spray, set aside keeping warm. Peel, core and slice a granny smith apple, and cook in a little olive oil. Combine apple and pork slices with baby spinach leaves, sliced red onion, and steamed baby new potatoes (3 per person).
Evening snack
A piece of fruit.
Phase 2:
Increase serving sizes.
Include yellow light foods, such as: juice, bananas, new potatoes, corn on the cob, red wine.
Eat yellow light and the occasional red light food in moderation.
Continue to monitor weight to find your gain/lose balance point.

Unique Features:
It is the combination of three attributes that makes The G.I. Diet unique. These are:
1. There is no need to go hungry or feel deprived on this diet. The diet is a balanced combination of proteins carbohydrates and good fats all of which are necessary for the maintenance of good health.
2. The diet is extremely simple to follow. All foods are color-coded, on a traffic light basis: red light, yellow light and green light. There is no need to weigh measure or count grams calories or blocks. Simply follow the traffic lights.
3. The diet is very beneficial to health. Health and nutritional authorities agree that a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, lean meat/fish and low fat dairy is ideal for maintaining bodily health. For those who have health problems such as hypertension, cholesterol or type two diabetes, The G.I. Diet has shown remarkable impact on them, resulting in reduction in medication and in some cases removing medication entirely.

Homepage: http://www.gidiet.com
Summarized by: Quincy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 00:30
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

ok..it's going on top...we are so happy!
The Gi Group
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 08:49
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

*************Bump*******************
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 12:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Is this the latest version of the summary?

Wa'il