Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 08:37
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

nicoleb - 2 1/2 hours of aerobic activity! Holy cow! I was told that over 20 and one starts burning muscle. That sounds quite extreme to me but I bow to the experts.

I did buy some rice cakes, it looks like I can have 2! (50 cals, 14 carbs each) Might have to throw a thin layer of sf peanut butter on top - rice cakes are a bit, how shall I say, FLAVORLESS? Even the flavored are lacking, in my opinion.

But I was presently suprised at yesterday's results, too. No big obsession with eating, no HUNGER - I had to go out of my way to make that protein shake after dinner, I wasn't feeling deprived at all. And no carb cravings! Woo hoo - back in the saddle!

Oh, and I ate a banana the first day for the cu then a pear this morning. Thinking I will alternate between fruit, rice cakes and instant oatmeal. I have a ton of instant 'bananas and cream' oatmeal that my daughter won't touch. I usually wait for a food drive to donate them (what?! they're still good!) but I guess they are mine, now. You did say instant oatmeal, didn't you? I generally make mine from scratch but instant will be faster and easier.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 09:15

Plan: CKD/modified atkins & protein power
Stats: 117/112/108
BF:15%
Progress: 56%
Thumbs up yippy-ki-yay!

By George I think we're on to something here!

Yes, IowaGirl - instant oatmeal is very high GI. check the label for total carbs a they do add a TON of sugar.

Just my input - the fat in the peanut butter will slow down the 'spike' of the carbs & if you can buy the flavored rice cakes so you can get them down I do feel they would be a better choice. Lets see what our beloved Guru Lisa has to say

Have a GREAT day!

Sindee
(we need a smile-y thing that does the happy dance!)
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 09:20
empress of fashion

BF:

Would reduced fat peanut butter be better? I bought strawberry rice cakes - I can pretend I'm having pb and j! ( I do miss those - isn't that silly? You'd think I was 6 years old)

By the way, are you taking supplements? Ever tried the thermogenics? (dancing or just having a fit?)
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 10:53

Plan: CKD/modified atkins & protein power
Stats: 117/112/108
BF:15%
Progress: 56%

Looks like the 'happy dance! to me - thank you! Its one of my themes in life as I believe everyone needs a happy dance when its time to celebrate.

I think any kind of peanut butter will affect the spike. I admire your strength to be able to keep it in your house. I quit after the last time I got my hand stuck in the jar! j/k Seriously, I know no bounds when it comes to peanut butter and my mouth watered when I read 'peanut butter & jelly sandwiches'

For supps I take - Universal Liver tabs, glutamine, BCAA, daily fiber, sometimes spirulina. And yes, I do the thermogenic thing - stack a bunch of stuff in diffferent combinations - yohimbine, caff, ECA, yerba mate (tea). Come from more of a body builder background and at 39 have been at this for awhile! The nutrition all became important after a near-fatal car accident 8 years ago. Gosh, I'm rambling.

Later -

SL (actually my sig for 'friends')
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 11:10
empress of fashion

BF:

sniff sniff - don't make me give up my peanut butter! Maybe if I just opened the jar and smelled it before I took a bite of the strawberry rice cake I would still get the you-know-what effect!

Sorry to hear about your car accident. Scary stuff.

My supps are as follows....multi vit, calcium/mag/zinc, fish oil, potassium, selenium, b complex, kelp, E, C, chromium. I took a week off from the thermogenic, I understand one should go on 4 and off 1. I take xenadrine without the ephedrine. Tried formulas with it and it nearly killed me - cramps, headache, it wasn't pretty. The one I take seems to work pretty well, I do like the 'wake up' it gives me in the morning. Unfortunately I have to remind myself to ease up on the coffee on those mornings (I don't take it on Saturdays - I don't wo on Saturday). Sometimes I forget and the combination turns me into a total spazz. Kind of like this guy....
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/BFL
Stats: 133/117/115
BF:30/17/14
Progress: 89%

Hey Girls,

We've got to do a thread for us women. It's great to have someone to talk to. My friends think I'm nuts eating LC much less doing TKD. I wouldn't even attempt to explain it to them.

From what I understand the CU should be LF and it sounds like zero fat would be better.

Sorry Iowagirl After you're on TKD for a few weeks and you know how your body handles the CU you could try it. The way I'm doing it is to do a free day after several weeks. You might do your favorite foods on a free day.

Sindee- I just started the Yohimbine gel. Have you had any results with it? I want to shower in that stuff if it will help my hips and thighs! Just kidding. What what I've read it seems that TKD isn't to good for using the stuff since you don't want to eat when you use it and either Dan or Lyle said to put it on 1 hour before your WO. I read that it doesn't work with insulin present. I figured I'd give it a shot and use the mornings when I'm not doing a CU. I use Hydroxycut, 3, before a WO. I also take liquid flax seed oil in the am, multivitamin, omega 3 fishoil, c, e, & CLA.

Nicolb- You need to be careful and make sure you get enough calories for your cardio. You'll have to talk to Jalilah, she is a dancer, and had problems going too low in calories with all the exercise she did. You probably would want to start at about 16 cals/lb/day.

I'm off to do the room mother thing! Have a great TKD day and catch you later.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 12:21
empress of fashion

BF:

I forgot, I take acidophilus, too. Just started that one. Kind of concerned about all the cheese I was eating.

I know what you mean - my friends don't understand lc at all. I don't even discuss the exercise, let alone TKD. They'll ask me about my eating habits every now and then but their eyes quickly glaze when I start to explain. It is unfortunate when you have no one to share this with. (but now we do!)

So does the yohimbine work? I remember reading Trainer Dan's thread on it some time ago. I don't remember why I dismissed it. I think I heard it was quite expensive. Maybe I could have some type of yohimbine girdle made. That is the fat fort my body is holding strong. The rest of me I'm pretty ok with.

I'm thinking my 'free day' might just coincide with Turkey day!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/Protein Power
Stats: 142/136.2/120?
BF:27%/26%/14%
Progress: 17%

Lisa-

Be careful with the hyroxycut+ yohimbe. I think I read someplace that combining them causes adverse reactions in some people. Just a thought.

I have a question for the ladies (and the men who know something about this ) following CKD/TKD. I'm eating around 12X my body weight and after about 2-3 days of this I get SOOOOOOOO hungry and end up eating 200-300 extra calories. Still, every calculator in the world (including the CKD calculator) says this is how many calories I should be eating. I'm worried about slowing my weight loss if I increase. Also, if I do increase the calories, should I increase my fat, or protein, or both? Last night I was SO hungry I ate a bunch of stuff that wasn't "bad" per se, just not on my "plan" (turkey pepperoni, cream cheese, LC Tortilla with peanut butter). Any suggestions would be useful.

Sabrina
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 16:53
Registered Member

Sabrina- Yeah I don't get to use the Yohimbine too much since I do the Hydroxycut. Are your cravings the week before TOM? I get terrible cravings the week before and the first two days of TOM. If that's not it are you in ketosis? Are you eating all the fat that the parameters say?

Iowagirl- We'll just have to wait the get the scoop from Sindee about the Yohimbine. I've only used it a handful of times. Hopefully she'll say her thighs and butt totally shrunk up!! I've got the pear body too. I laughed when you mentioned your friends glazed eyes. That describes it perfectly!

I'm going to do Thanksgiving as a free day too and try to be in total control. I don't want my kids to get screwed up eating habits seeing a mother eat funny on such a special holiday. Live needs to be lived and enjoyed.

I want to get an opinion on Hydroxycut. I only take 3 capsuls once a day. Do I need to cycle off the stuff if I'm not taking the full dose?

Lisa
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/Protein Power
Stats: 142/136.2/120?
BF:27%/26%/14%
Progress: 17%

It is not anywhere near my TOM, and I'm on birth control so I don't get very bad PMS type symptoms anyway. Also, I'm not craving carbs-- I'm just HUNGRY. And yes, I'm eating as many fat grams and everything else recommended.

As for the hydroxycut, the problem with cycling it is that then you have to readapt to the side-effects.

Sabrina
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:30
Registered Member

Are you in ketosis?
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 21:06
empress of fashion

BF:

Lisa,
Interesting what you said about your kids seeing you eating 'normally' on Thanksgiving. Kind of strange when you think about it - normal for that holiday is stuffing oneself (pardon the pun), then laying down on the couch. Or is that just MY family's version?

I do agree, however, one should celebrate it as intended - a feast. That doesn't mean making ourselves sick, of course, but enjoying a bit more on that day - of food, family and friends.

How old are your kids? I have two girls, 7 and 3. My oldest told me one time, "You're not going to get old like grandma because you exercise." Funny she would come to that conclusion. I try to let my kids see me exercising and I don't talk about weight loss in front of them. My hope is that they grow up thinking this is simply something you do to take care of yourself, like brushing your teeth.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 21:52
Registered Member

Iowagirl- My son will be 10 on Tues and my daughter is 11. I too don't talk about dieting infront of the kids. They would say mom doesn't eat rice because she's on a diet. I'd try to tell them that it's not a "diet to lose weight" but how I choose to eat to be healthier.

Today my daughter held up a piece of candy and said it's Friday, you can eat this. I'll have to explain to her about TKD! Just kidding. I passed the candy up. TOM is coming next week and this has been a tough week for me.

Today wasn't a good day bodywise. My neck has been hurting and then today my lower back. I went to the chiro and he said to stop lifting so heavy. That at my age (40) I don't need to be upping my weights so high. WHAT?? Something about getting older and joint or something not being as lubricated. He adjusted me and I don't feel any better. Thankfully no WO's for a few days to heal and I'll see how I feel in the am for spinning class. I am going to pay better attention to my form.

On Thanksgiving if I can just stay away from the appetizers I'll be OK!

Have you noticed how the men have stayed away? Where's Sindee? I'm anxious to get the Yohimbine scoop.

Later-
Lisa
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:04
empress of fashion

BF:

Lisa-
The boys are scared of us! ha ha Maybe it was the stuff about their driving.

I see a chiro, too. I think you should cut out pictures of older women lifting weights and show him. My husband buys me "Muscle and Fitness" magazine from time to time. There was an article once, showing women lifters in their 20's.30's, 40's and 50's. The woman in her 50's was goregous. Maybe your chiro is a little out of touch on this topic.

And while I'm thinking of it, your chiro might be familiar with this area. We have the Palmer College of Chiropractic here where most of the chiros are churned out.

I feel for you re: TOM. It is so difficult!! I've heard that taking large doses of glutamine help but I didn't see that it did. I just figure I'm going to put on a pound or two at that time and shed it later. But those cravings are killer. Maybe THAT'S why it's called a curse!

Are you cooking Thanksgiving yourself? I'm thinking appetizers might be the best thing - cheese, meat, deviled eggs, those pickles rolled up in cream cheese and ham.....
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 16:25
Registered Member

Iowagirl-

So how did your day go? So far so go for me. I even survived making Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies and I love cookie dough!

I took a spinning class this morning and my eating has been on track. When I'm on SKD days I drop weight very quickly. After I stopped CKD I did a several day refeed and then Halloween put a kink in my eating. I'm commited again. (I've been saying that a bit too much lately.) When I did the CKD I did it for 5 weeks and didn't cheat a bit. But everytime I got back down to my low weight it would be time for a carbup.

I'm going to my niece's in-laws for Thanksgiving. My mother is invited too. We're so blessed to have a wonderful extended family. My father died in a plane crash June '01 and the holidays aren't the same. His wife flies for Delta and with the airline situation she'll have to work. We used to have my mother and her ex-husband plus my dad and his wife and about 15 others. Everyone got along great. My mom was married to each of her husbands for 16 years! My father's wife is only 35 and 5 years younger than me! She's great and even after my dad's death my mom and I get together with her when she's in town. Enough of my crazy family!

Sounds like you'rer doing Thanksgiving at your house? Do you have many people over?

Gotta go to church service. It's amazing when the kids want to leave early to get to church.

Lisa (Hey Iowagirl- got a name?)