Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 05:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227.2/199.2/140 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile 2 less pills per day

I have lost about 12 lbs in 7 weeks. It is not much. But the milestone for me is that instead of 5 diabetes pills , now I am taking 3. My blood sugar has been in normal range average of 84. Thanks for all of your support.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 05:25

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Congratulations!! That is a huge milestone. One big pat on the back Im thinking.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 05:25
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb(my own)Pregnant
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

That is awesome!! Keep up the great work in no time you will be at your goal
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 16:25

Stats: 308/308/200 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

that is outstanding !

i know you feel really great about that !
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/118/105 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

Hang in there you sugar levels and diabetes will be under control pretty soon.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 22:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/209/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 48%
Exclamation

That's so wonderful! Good for you!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein, formerl Atkins
Stats: 375/237/222 Male 71 inches
BF:BMI 51/33/31
Progress: 90%

Shami.
You're right, about the pill story being the real success story, if you're an obesity induced Type 2 diabetic as I am.

When I started LC'ing over 5 years ago, on Atkins at my doctor's suggestion, it was to lose weight. I should have been concerned that my FBG's were +/- 155 and I was maxed out on 2 oral diabetes meds and starting on a third, but that was not my primary motivation. I was, and for 16 years basically had been, in denial about my diabetes and was doing nothing about it except popping pills. In retrospect, I didn't realize how close I was to injecting insulin for the rest of my life. I was progressing in the traditional course of the disease, which the entire medical establishement including the physicians, the ADA, the certified diabetes educators, etc. all follow, which is that Type 2 is a progressive disease. They are wrong!

I was surprised when I found out, by going to weigh myself on a commercial scale at the Fulton Fish market when it was in downtown Manhattan (because my doctor's scale only went to 350), that I weighed 375, I was motivated, finally.

But, the surprising benefit was that as soon as I started LC'ing, that is before I even lost much weight, that my BS's were dropping precipitously. I dropped the Avandia that I was just starting, soon thereafter cut the Micronase and Glucophage in half (to 10mg and 1,000mg/day, respectively), and then cut them in half again. I lost 60 lbs. on Atkins in a year, and kept it off for 3 years. Then, in the summer and early fall of 2006 I gained back 12 lbs. so I read The Diabetes Diet, by Richard K. Bernstein, MD, a type 1 himself, and started on it religiously. It is remarkably like Atkins, allows 30 carbs a day (6-12-12), and, to lose weight, limits protein as well.

Over 50 weeks on this diet I lost 96 lbs, getting me down from 327 to 231 (from 375 originally). On 9/24/07 we then went on a 3 week vacation and I ate and drank a lot, so now I am 10 lbs heavier and working to lose that now. My next goal is 225 by the end of the year. That's 2 lbs a week and will mark 150 lbs since I started LC'ing.

But, back to your theme, with which I agree. The real news is that my FBG is now now almost normal. When I was at 231 and sticking to diet, my FBG's were in the low 90's. Now, while I am slipping sometimes, trying to get back in the groove, my FBG's average a little over 100, but that is still much better than where I started (at 155) and failing on orals, and on my way to insuling, or these day's Byetta. There benefits of LC'ing only show up in lab tests, or in the absence of neuropathy or other symptoms of this disease that, once started, will have compromised my health and made me more likely to develop other outcomes of the metabolic syndrome, like putting me at much higher risk of stroke and heart attack.

Congratulations on seeing how LC'ing is working for you in this most important way.

Last edited by danbrown : Mon, Nov-05-07 at 08:20.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 12:22

Stats: 227.2/199.2/140 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thank you for replying. Stories like yours keep me motivated. from jan of 2007 to jun I lost 12 lbs on low fat low cal diet. Even when I ate 1300 cal a day my fbs hardly stayed in normal range. I have lost 25lb on Atkins and I totally cut out my Actos(used to take 3 15mg tabs). I know it works and I am loving it.