Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy constipation and protein and having to increase carbs?

Hey all,

Wondered if anyone has any tips or answers relating to my bowels! I've posted a few times about my constipation so it's really a massive ongoing problem. I found that by reducing my protein to 60-70g per day that I become more regular - research shows that protein slows the digestive tract and I know that it is slow motility that is causing my constipation.

I used probiotics for a while but they don't work any longer. Fibre just bulks things up and bungs me up even more. Protein is definitely a key.

So I've been reducing protein levels, but in order to reduce protein I've had to increase carbs to provide enough to keep me full, which is making me feel rubbish, and I don't really want to increase carbs. I wondered if anyone knows of any reason why protein has such an increased effect in me of slowing my digestive track - am I missing something else? My fat levels are 50% of diet (g not calories). Is there something else I can do to help myself while eating more protein? Any ideas welcome. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-12, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/263/170 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I know its been a few months since this was posted but I'm sure there are other people out there that experience this issue. I've never really had trouble with constipation, until I started the induction phase of atkins. BUT, I was also eating most of my carbs in Dairy like cheese and sour cream. 2 weeks in I learned that I had a sensitivity to fermented items. I dropped the cheese, aged dairy and meats and added in the fat as suggested by the atkins books and my bowels are running like a well oiled machine.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 07:25
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

coconut oil is great for keeping things regular, and is a good healthy fat. Best eaten as coconut bark (on the recipe section).

Lee
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 15:44

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

60-70g of protein per day is too low, IMO. I would find other ways to regulate things. It could be you're not eating enough fat. try upping it from 50% to 70% and see how things go. Are you drinking enough water? Some people swear by magnesium. There's also fiber. But if you eat more fiber you have to drink a lot of water or you'll make your problem worse.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 21:58

Stats: 200/147/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Decrease protein, increase fat. If you are doing Atkins, it is a high fat diet, not a high protein diet. Fat will keep you feeling full without all of the problems caused by carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-12, 04:45
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 205.2/198/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidadund
Decrease protein, increase fat. If you are doing Atkins, it is a high fat diet, not a high protein diet. Fat will keep you feeling full without all of the problems caused by carbs.

I'm just seconding this opinion, as it reflects with mine to a t.