Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 07:27

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%
Default Vitamin B6 and zinc

So I have found what is my holy grail of supplements - zinc and B6. Not even the co-enzyme B6, but the bogstandard pyridoxine.

I discovered I am probably pyroluric with a long history of anxiety, tension, insomnia, addictions - the list goes on. I have been through 2 eating disorders that I managed to recover from through supplementation (zinc) and getting rid of intolerant foods (wheat/gluten mostly).

I have taken a lot of supplements since I turned 20-odd (when onset of severe symptoms started), noticing that some made me better and some worse.

Only recently though, did I notice that taking B6 on it's own, away from other vitamins made a big difference. I have always taken B complex- but would notice that sometimes it didn't sort me out enough with the anxiety. I also discovered taking zinc separately also helped. The two together have been a final blessing. I do take a multivitamin apart, and also calcium/magnesium - because these help me with sleep. But anxiety/depression wise, apart from diet, these two things have helped me the most.

I possibly will also add in extra manganese, as this is supposed to help with pyroluria. According to Pfeiffer, about 11% of the population have this disorder, and that is just the normal people. About half of schizophrenics have it, and a large percentage of alcoholics do too.

I can finally remember my dreams. Lack of dream-recall is a symptom of B6 deficiency.

It is important not to overdose on the stuff. The zinc especially - which must be balanced with other vitamins. I seem to need a very small amount of copper - which I had avoided for a long time whilst dosing with zinc. This is ok to start with, but soon the balanced needs to be addressed.

Other issues I have had clear up with extra zinc/B6 are acne and eczema. The eczema improved on no gluten of course, but really didn't clear up 100% until I was taking more zinc. Magnesium also helped with that too.

Just in case that helps anybody out there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 12:45

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Great post, Loops!

amanda