Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 19:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default confused on glutamine amounts

I just bought the powder glutamine. It says to take one tsp a day [4500 mgs] So how many tsp. should I be taking to be effective? Is one a day enough? And when is the best time? with meals or on an empty stomach? B 4 or after a workout?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 19:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The formula is .3g per KG of LBM - 10-15g a day usually does the trick, Gale. It's best taken after your workout in the morning to help prevent muscle wasting and in the evening before bed. Most of us take our dose and divide it into 2 or 3 servings and have them in our shakes. If you've got a good quality glutamine you can disolve it in about a litre of water and not notice it.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 07:56

BF:

Thanks for your help. Now another question. Do U take the same amount on days you aren't working out?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 09:34

BF:

Yes, Gale, I do. It's such a vital supplement that I take it even when I'm not training (such as this week). In the event you do not get sufficient protein in, it can help prevent muscle being used as fuel. It's great for boosting the immune system and it helps to promote the release of human growth hormone while sleeping.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 09:42

BF:

Thanks again. I had done some research on here and found it interesting about HGH. It is presumed that people with FM are deficient in HGH [this i knew a long time ago but didnt know how to replace it] so I can see a real benefit taking this especially B 4 bed. You said U R taking a week off from training? Is this done on purpose after a period of time to give yourself a rest? BTW I really enjoy doing the weights..LOL but Im telling ya I am such a wimp so far. I realize it will take some time to gain strength tho.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 09:59

BF:

Gale, I burned out - I did two challenges without enough rest inbetween and I crashed. Intense workouts require time off. Our bodies can only handle so much. So I took a good week (closer to 10 days) off. I slept and I ate and I slept and I feel sooooo much better It's a good idea to follow the advice that after your 12 week challenge you really take that week off and rest up.

As for your strength - that's the beauty of it. What's hard now will get easier as you build. I go back and look at what I was curling or pressing the first few weeks of BFL and compare it to now and I'm awed. It's all about personal bests - not about comparisons between people. Seeing your progress is usually all the motivation you'll need. You'll see !

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 10:23

BF:

Its great that U were able to realize your were buring out B 4 U did any damage. Too many people push them selves way to hard for a few months then drop doing exercise altogether. I had been doing aerobics about 5 days a week for a year. I dont regret it for a bit...it did make me feel good and Im sure was a good part of my weight loss...BUT I also know the last couple month my aerobics werent aiding me anymore, my body was at a stand-still. Weights will be a wonderful alternative and Im sure will help to rev up my metabolism. I still will do my old way of aerobics from time to time [old habits die hard..lol] But now I have a new challenge. Thanks for all your advice. I know I can find most of the info I am looking for searchiong on here but I really like personal opinions.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 19:25

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by gwilson38
Im telling ya I am such a wimp so far. I realize it will take some time to gain strength tho.

Hi there Gale....

Congrats on doing BFL. I'm sure that you will see success with your goals, doing it! I just wanted to stop in and tell you.....No one who does lifting is a "wimp". LOL....the wimps don't even try it!

I'm looking forward to following your progress!

Marlaine
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 09:03

BF:
Default hey Marlaine--- Nat

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Im actually following the guidelines of lifting weights more from a book by Brad King called "Fat Wars" I believe he is in Victoria. I really like the info he provides in his book. It is very much like BFL but I use Brad's workout because I am limited to what I can accomplish. What I mean is I dont have a bench or bar bell. I just have the free weights that I have to screw on everytime I want to go to a different weight. Makes BFL a little harder especialy because of the time factor and the fact I dont have too many weights to choose from right now. So I will see how it goes. My main goal is too raise my metabolism because I am a non-smoker now. So since I have your attention..LOL and hopefully Nat's too I have a question. When U start lifting weights is it common to put on a couple pounds and if so why? I really do feel the muscle when I am lifting so thats a good sign and BTW the glutamine really does help.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:47

BF:

Gale, I had typed this up for you and then *poof* I lost this site again.

Bascially here's whats happening when you lift weights to failure: You stress the muscle to the point that it actually tears. Microtears in the muscle are what are rebuilt making the muscle bigger and stronger. While it is torn is it inflammed and swollen, and you feel heavier.

This is why it's vital you rest up between workouts - it is during rest and recovery that muscle growth occurs. Working a sore muscle is working a muscle that has not properly healed. It does not benefit you - it actually hinders your progress.

HTH
Nat
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 09:07

BF:
Default thanks Nat

Could U do me a favor and since you know your body fat, go to this site and see what it comes up with for U. [also anyone else ]www.biofitness.com/bodyfat.html I realize that determining your body fat ratio on line wont be terribly accurate. I have done several and I range from 27% to 21% I did the one Dan posted in general exercise forum and came up with 26.8 and yet the one i did from the site I just posted I came up with 22.6. The problem with my body is that I have a thicker waist. I do have fairly good muscle tone, my legs, arms, and back areall well toned however because I had 2 kids [which I carried really high] by C-section I have a thicker waist so that when I do these BFR tests I know they are a little off. Thats why the site I just posted seems for me to be more accurate. Anyway.....Im not a happer camper today, my weight keeps going up...138 now, I was maintaining 132 for several months. I have been a non-smoker now for 5 weeks or 37 days, that is going real well. Yesterday I went down to level 2 and will stay there 3 weeks. Im just concerned my weight will continue to climb. I am doing everything right. I am eating enough but not to much, I am drinking at least 4 liters of water a day, I am taking all my vitamins. I am getting enough rest, I am exercising. { and its not because of TOM] The only changes I have made is doing weights 3 days a weeks and low-bounce aerobics 2 days a week, instead of strickly aerobics and I have added the glutamine. If this is cause my muscles are swollen how long does it take B 4 your body becomes used to it and when will I see a downward trend.?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 09:11

BF:

I posted that body fat ratio site in the general exercise forum under how do U determine body fat, for some reason U cant just click on it here. www.biofitness.com/bodyfat.html
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 09:16

BF:

Gale, do not let the BF% calculators get you down. They are only an indication of overal BF and should be taken with a grain of salt. They can be off by as much as 3-4%. They should be used over time to look for general trends. That particular site seems to estimate low - It gave me "Body fat percentage: 21.8%" - there is no way I'm 21.8% BF. But I know the last time I used it I was around 24%BF according to them. So the downward trend continues. That is what matters.

The rise in your weight could be from the weight lifting, or it could be a combination of many things. You are doing everything right, my advice is to ride it out. Cutting back on food would not be a good idea, you know that. Going back to smoking wouldnt be a good idea either! Quitting tends to cause a drop in metabolism, roughly 10%, but it's temporary. Increasing lean mass will help raise metabolism, but it doesnt happen over night. It generally takes 6 weeks to 'grow' new muscle.

HTH
Nat
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 12:19

BF:
Default thanks Nat

Yes dear one i know U R right. Interestingly enough its not the BFR that has me down. Im fairly certain I would be in a good zone for that too [if I could ever have it done properly] Its the damn scale!! I know, I know I need to stay off it. It really effects my mood. Two days from now I will look in the mirror and think, "I dont look any bigger and my clothes dont seem much tighter" LOL I have just been spoiled because low-carbing and the weight loss part was sooooo easy for me. I see so many people in the forum struggle and I guess now its my turn! Heres hoping that by the end of summer I am back to where I want to be. Cheers! Thanks for all your advice.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 12:25

BF:

Hang in there Gale. Remember all those sage words you have given to others in this same position. Water weight leaves the same way it shows up, overnight. Weight training changed the amount of my daily/weekly fluctuations something in the neighbourhood of 3 extra lbs (it went from 4ish to 7ish) It will settle down eventually.

Hang tight,
Nat