Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 12:11

Plan: South Beach .. later keto
Stats: 203/189/165 Male 71 inches
BF:31% (Dexascan)
Progress: 37%
Default Overcoming Inertia

Hello !

As the title of my post implies i joined this site looking for ideas, inspiration, and to meet some pleasant fellow pilgrims making their way to a healthier lifestyle. OK .. and in the interest of accuracy I need someone to ask me every now and again if I've overcome my sedentary habits or if the couch still has an indentation in it that matches the general outline of my behind.

Starting weight 195 (measured) .. meaning I started eating low carb and exercising a few weeks ago .. but only stepped on the scale yesterday. i could tell by the way my clothes fit .. and which clothes fit .. that I was under a certain weight and could safely step on a scale without having to be talked off a window edge shortly after that.

I picked South Beach as my diet .. I've used it before with great success (whats wrong with THAT picture?). Between healthy eating and exercise I went from 227# to my goal weight .. long ago and in a galaxy far away. Fast forward about 8 or 9 years .. and some of it crept back on. I could go on and on about how life gets busy but we all recognize that line of reasoning for what it is.

Started changing my eating habits a few weeks ago and getting my body in motion once again. Changing my eating habits has been easier than changing my exercise habits. In my first "low carb rodeo", it was my experience that the exercise had a more profound effect on weight loss (the right kind of weight loss anyway) than my eating habits did (eating habits were never awful).

OK .. so like I said I picked South Beach because I know it .. and I can grow to like the foods available to me on it. My family Dr. gave me a clean bill of health to start working out again (I'm at the age where I ask about those kinds of things :-). I'm open to other ideas .. I'm reading all I can on the forum and may decide to wander off in another direction at some point .. possibly something ketogenic.

No known major health issues. I'm insulin resistant at any weight with no risk factors for diabetes that we've been able ot identify (outside of packing around extra weight right now .. but my glucose levels are borderline even at my goal weight and low carb eating. Family Dr. sent me ot an endocrinologist to talk about my thyroid and and male hormone levels. Started taking levothyroxine for the thyroid and exploring options my insurance iwll cover for t replacement. Endocrinologist said both of those could effect my weight. Endo doc and I are both fans of personal responsibility so I don't blame my weight gain over the last few years on low levels of something.

Started a journal .. just to help with this whole overcoming inertia thing. It's called "A Pirate Looks at 50 .. something". Stop by and say hello if you're browsing the forums from your phone .. stuck in the auto repair shop waiting to find out what that funny noise is that your transmission is making.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-12-17, 03:25

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum and best wishes.