Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-12, 23:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/227/160 Female 66 in
BF:44.6%/ ? / 20%
Progress: 39%
Default best time to work out?

I'm starting a new fitness regime on the first. My goal is to walk/jog/run 2013 miles in 2013. I've never really been much for working out especially not on a regular basis. I really want to get the most out of it. My biggest question and worry is when is the best time to work out? Should I work out first thing in the morning or in the afternoon or evening before bed? If I work out first thing in the morning should I eat a full meal before hand, a snack, or nothing at all? any other advice for a beginner would also be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 08:17

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I like working out in the late afternoon because it is my typical low energy time and the time I'm most likely to reach for a snack. I've heard that morning workouts can be best for revving up your metabolism for the day but they don't fit into my schedule so well and I tend to be stiffer and more prone to injury in the morning.

I think the difference between regular exercise and no exercise is so much greater than any incremental differences in time of day. The body is a complex organism and it is debatable whether exercise aids in weight loss. No doubt about it, exercise will improve your health, but I prefer to think of it as a way to get my energy up, rather than a way of losing more weight.

One other thing, if your body is going through keto-adaptation, you may be low on energy. I found it helpful when beginning to concentrate on getting my diet under control. Once my full energy returned, I began exercising more vigorously. Walking, mile for mile, is just a beneficial as running, with much less risk of injury.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 14:12

Stats: 270/227/160 Female 66 in
BF:44.6%/ ? / 20%
Progress: 39%

I've done atkins several times before so I've got a pretty good handle on the diet. My plan is to start out walking 3 miles a day every day in january then 3.5 in february and so on hoping to be eventually be able to run a mile without stop by december and jogging 3 miles without stopping by december. I'm hoping focusing on getting healthy and fit rather than just on losing weight will help me stay on track and starting the habit of exercising every day will help me maintain and stay healthy. I'm also a nanny and would love to have more energy and stamina to actually run around and play with the kids instead of always just watching.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 07:46

Plan: not sure?
Stats: 132/120/110 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Best time to exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanfordian
I'm starting a new fitness regime on the first. My goal is to walk/jog/run 2013 miles in 2013. I've never really been much for working out especially not on a regular basis. I really want to get the most out of it. My biggest question and worry is when is the best time to work out? Should I work out first thing in the morning or in the afternoon or evening before bed? If I work out first thing in the morning should I eat a full meal before hand, a snack, or nothing at all? any other advice for a beginner would also be greatly appreciated!

Hi. it doesnt really matter when to work out, it depends on whatever it suits you really. I go to an aerobics class at 7:30am, i dont eat anything before that. what i do is drink 4 glasses of water as soon as i wake up then i have gatorade and water during breaks, after aerobics, i drink fresh coconut juice. i dont feel hungry until 11am.

when i go to my yoga class in the evening, i try not to eat 2 hours before the yoga. in the evening, i dont eat a lot as your body doesnt really need it. i will only have vegetable soup with bread then drink hot herbal tea.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/145/130 Male 170
BF:
Progress: 25%

when is the best time to work out? It depends on us, depends on our comfort zone, we can do workout anytime we want or during our free time or when we are bored. I do exercise and workout usually at the morning before I eat my breakfast and do some personal necessities. Sometimes, I do it before the sun sets.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-13, 21:20
Registered Member

Stats: 307/286/168 Male 67
BF:
Progress:

Morning may realy be the best time for 2 reasons. First I believe
a lot of studies point out that people follow through with an exercise plan if it is done first thing in the morning. Then there
are a number of studies showing exercising in the fasted state
is a lot better for burning fat and reducing insulin resistance. Personaly if I don't do it before breakfast I almost always find
some reason to postpone to later in the day and end up just
not doing it.