Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 14:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/Feathers
Hi All, I find this thread very interesting, because I too was trying to figure out what the real differences are between the two programs and which is better for me -- I did SBD Phase 1 for two weeks and then entered Phase 2 where I started having fruit and nonfat plain yogurt (4oz) for breakfast the first week, my loss slowed but I still lost, then the second week of phase two I added in a second fruit some days with peanut butter. I stopped losing weight for about three weeks, having snooped around on the Atkins threads, I decided to cut out the yogurt and use a tablespoon of cream instead of the 2oz of milk I was using in my 3-4 cups of coffee a day -- I also tried limiting my fruits and nuts, and in a week I dropped three pounds. I realize this could just be coincidental but it seems like it was enough to break my stall. I also felt less hungry and with less cravings. Since, I've added back a fruit and the nuts so I will see if they are the real culprit, but I'm keeping an eye on dairy and will see what happens over the next few weeks. I don't eat too much cheese, as without a hunk of french bread, how much can you eat!
So, I too am pulling from SBD and Atkins and trying to find what works for my body. I will try the yogurt again in a week or two to see if I have the same reaction, as I realize there are a lot of different things that can affect weight loss. I may not eat it in the morning as I seemed to be hungrier during the day when I did. I have also learned that cashews make me feel like I want to nibble on something all day! I also want to thank Judy for suggesting adding in carbs based on Atkins owl ladder and to introduce them slowly to see how your body reacts to each one -- very good advice!

Here is the phase I meal plan guide.

SBD Meal Plan Chart
How To Adapt Your Meal Plan- Phase I

The South Beach Diet? is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.

Fruit: None

Starch: None

Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)

Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

LUNCH
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

DINNER
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables:Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

DESSERT / EVENING SNACK
Desserts are optional. Enjoy some of your Sweet Treat allowance, a dessert, or any of the snack choices.

SWEET TREATS
Sweet Treats are products that contain sugar alcohols. You can enjoy them throughout the day to satisfy your sweet tooth ? just limit yourself to roughly 75 calories worth per day to avoid any GI distress.
See a list of Sweet Treat options here

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 21:09

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi!

Not trying to disagree with any of the good advice people have been kind enough to post. My experience has led me to a bit of a different spin on it. And it's working out well for me. But that is only because I learned from my mistakes.

For some people it is very important to have a "plan" and stick to it strictly by the rules. I have no argument with anyone who has experienced success with this. But I think it should be posted that some people don't do well with very rigid plans that call for a a great amount of "counting". I'm one of them. In fact, not being on some diet dr's "program" was a big factor in successfully losing weight! Forty pounds ago, I started with a low fat diet. I lost 17 pounds fairly fast. But I felt AWEFUL.

I inevitably came across the LC approach. I started out with Atkins, purely because it seemed like they were the biggest player (bad pun). But after a month or so I was really struggling with the whole thing. I read Protein Power, and began following the Eades' approach. In various versions of their books, they offer very detailed programs, for those who want to follow it. Personally, I go for their more flexible, laid back approach. Switching to a LC WOE - less than 35 per day, generally - really brought it home to me that this was NOT a temporary thing. That it was a valid WL strategy and healthy way of living.

I'm currently in the "last ten pounds". I've switched to backing off the unlimited fats and eating way more veggies. I'm not avoiding fats, I am simply not able to gorge on them anymore. I don't count calories, but I do believe they count. At least when you get to this point.

For the most part, I eat like Judy. It has helped me break a stall.

You might be one of those YMMV /non-plan-y girls . Nothing wrong with that!

My schedule is di
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 21:41
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks for sharing your experience Shannone!