Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Bacon-Flavoured Coffee

View Article Article tools
  #16   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 16:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

I'm sticking this before and after pic in here too - it's in my journal as well.

This is to serve as an inspiration to everybody who visits here. All you newbies, and die-hard low carbers this WOE works (AND it's healthy!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: gif threepics.gif (70.2 KB, 216 views)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 21:37

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default YOU GO GIRL!

LC,
You just look like an entirely different person! You're a peach to stay on the boards and continue to encourge us like this. I'm so happy for you! You've got to be feeling so great each time you see those before and after shots! WTG
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 22:13
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Smile

LC i love reading your stories

I'll be so glad when i'm feathers and not lead butt
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 22:20

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Lead Butt Your too funny!! Your on your way to the new you, Linda.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 21:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 135/110/110
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Hair loss

Hi LC Sponge:

I am dying to know how you grew your hair back. I've been on the LC diet for over a year now recently had ulcers that bled and became very anemic and lost 10 lbs. Then most of my hair fell out. I never really associated it with the diet but now I'm wondering. Can you please tell me which supplements you used to help grow back your hair. I'm desperate and depressed about this.

you can e-mail me privately too:

soulmining2001~yahoo.com

thanks in advance
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 06:01

Hi - Biotin was my number one choice for hair help.

.A certain amount of hair loss on a daily basis is normal even if you have NOT changed your diet. Hair loss that occurs from a drastic change in diet, is normal hair loss that is happening at an excellerated rate. That is, hair that was destined to fall out ANYWAY, is just falling out EARLY.

When a hair falls out, there is a period of dormancy in the hair follicle before regrowth begins. Regrowth as it starts, is very fine hair and so your overall volume feels like less. Pull your hair back tightly with your hand from your hairline - you will see short, fine hairs that are new hairs coming in.

The fact is that Biotin (a B vitamin -water soluble so you can't overdose on it) is a nutrient for hair, skin and nails. I started taking it when I began freaking out about my hair loss. At a dose of about 1000 units a day. (Now I take about 300) I didn't notice that it STOPPED the hair loss. The fact was that process was going to happen regardless, because of the drastic change from low-fat eating.

But as my hair began growing back, it grew back better than before. I also cut it to a short style to *weather* the storm, and actually have never grown it long again. It's as nice as it was before and probably healthier. My nails are amazing too.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 07:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 135/110/110
BF:
Progress:
Default Biotin and hair loss

Hi LC:

Thanks so much for replying.

I feel more hopeful now.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

A friend of mine said she also lost hair when on the Atkins diet. Is it due to the lack of carbs and B vitamins? do we know why low carb causes hair loss?

I believe my extreme loss was due to a severe blood loss over a couple of weeks. I was transfused 3 weeks ago and hope the hair loss will stop soon. I am going to try the biotin tomorrow. I was also eating a very low fat version of Atkins and maybe 30 carbs a day. I'm an Atkins bar addict too. I was eating up to 8 a day (yikes, I know) and as soon as I cut back to 2 a day my hair started falling out.

I see that eggs contain biotin but I only eat egg whites. do you know if the biotin is in the yolk or the white?

thanks for your help!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 11:36

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 210/208/180
BF:
Progress:

LCSponge,

You said you stalled for 5 months in your story. How much did you lose prior to the stall? Did you lose at all during the stall? Did you go back to induction?

Thanks,
Lagwagon
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:56

Hey lagwagon - the reason we are told to write our daily/weekly weight down is so that we can produce a graph - like the one I have posted below.

This graph covers from my beginning weight at 184 (Feb 2000) to January 1 of 2001. You can see where the wooshes are and where there are times of bouncing back up. Notice at induction the dramatic weight loss and then the tapering off. Then a series of whooshes and plateaus...

I have roughly circled an area that represents the time frame August 2000 - December 2000. Throughout that time period I was sure I was not losing - I would lose and then gain it back. It looks a bit more dramatic on the graph... which shows an overall loss of 3 pounds during that 5 month period. (Start 155 - end 152)

It's only thru graphing that this reveals itself. Living it was horrible. Yes I went back to induction several times, tried the fat fast and reversal diet.

At Dec 31 2000 I weighted 152 . This morning I was 142 .
Attached Images
File Type: gif scale.gif (16.0 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by LC Sponge : Sat, Nov-17-01 at 15:01.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 11:58

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 210/208/180
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up Just passing by....

Just happened by your posts LC. All I can say is WTG!!!!!! Can't say it loud enough!

You look great! What a motivation builder you are, seeing the before and after pic's.

Again, just a fantasic job!

John
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:32
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thank for sharing your story. It has given me hope. I went to goal once before and gain some back. But after reading these success stories. I know I can make it.
Thanks.
Donna
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 14:08

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

LC Sponge,
I just found these success stories today. I had not noticed them before. So when I saw your name up there, I had to read your story. You are truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing your before and after shots. I look forward to wearing shorts once again. You look so healthy and fit!!! And thank you for sharing your graph. It's so easy to get discouraged during slow losing times. But you kept plugging away and you did it! And continue to keep it off. That's just as important. I appreciate all your posts on the forum and your fun sense of humor. You are truly an asset here. Victoria
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 17:25

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%

LC just wanted to let you kown what an inspiring story you have. The before and after pics are great. Thanks for all the information especially about the hair loss, I never even thought about that. Thanks Again.... Joan

Article tools