Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 21:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%
Unhappy *RANT* Why don't people search the forum?

Hey everybody.....don't take offense this is mearly my opinon....

I am just taking a few moments to RANT...I love this forum and there is TONS of great information out there...what I find really frusterating is all the repetitive threads...I often instead of cluttering the board with random questions will search the forum for information that others have posted.....

when I did a search for "WATER" in the titles of posts there were TONS posts with the very similar titles such as "how much water do you drink?" and "how much is too much"

This forum has been around a long time and chances are someone (or MANY) people have had the same questions in the past as we all might be asking...why not take a few minutes to do a search in the forum and chances are your going to find lots of information from a variety of sources...and more information then you were looking for aswell!!

Anyways I have said my peice...not that it means much but its just a suggestion!

Thanks for listening
Carleen aka...Saweetie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 21:38
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I agree, Carleen.
However, most of these multiple threads are started by eager newbies, who haven't acclimatized (sp?) with the board yet, and probably don't know about the search function. I do try to make a point directing them to it sometimes, but there will always be others following, giving the same answers again and - voila! - another long thread about the same issue.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 22:20

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I can tell you that when I first joined this forum, I found it very confusing. I was not an "expert" at message boards and have only been on a few, so it seemed a bit overwhelming and I never knew where to post things. If it looks like something I don't want to read I don't read it.

Alli
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 22:42

Stats: 286/263/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Alas, this suggestion will have faded from the board by the time someone comes along to ask that question. Those who are well versed in usenet and have been searching through google for years would probably search 1st; however, many people new to LC are also new to message boards.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 23:14

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

The best I have ever seen is 'I know there is another thread about this lower down already, but I thought I'd ask anyway...'.. I mean, why??

That said, message boards like this basicly survive on repitition.. there isn't really much else to talk about with the exception maybe of the low carb articles board!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 23:53

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Come on, guys...we were all newbies at one time and the vast amount of info on this board can make it pretty mind boggling at first. With almost 40,000 members, it's no wonder there are "repeat" threads. For some people it's just a way to start getting acquainted. This forum wouldn't be what it is if there was just one thread for each subject.

judy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 00:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/156/145 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I've used the search feature to great advantage, but our collective knowledge improves over time, with trial-and-error and new data. As a result, it often makes sense to cover an issue again that was discussed months ago. And to echo an earlier comment on this thread, not only do such "repeats" allow us to provide fresh information, it provides a social value. That's my sense of it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 02:38
Registered Member

Stats: 215/158/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I totally agree jag.. What's the harm? Updated info is good for everyone..
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 06:11

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Sometimes people just don't think about it. I've done it myself, on occasion.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 06:16

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hey Jude, Hey that would make a good song.hahahaI agree with you that we were all new once.When I started last May there were maybe almost 300 pages and I tried to read them all but got frustrated and stopped.Everyday there were more and it seemed like an impossible task.This forum had helped me so much and if I can help someone else I will no matter how many times the same thing is said or asked.Everyone on this forum rocks.Keep up the good work.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 06:17

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Awww...come on it's no big deal. Babies are sleeping in the cold tonight, now that is important.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 08:20
Contributing Member

Stats: 230/209/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Teach me how and I will

Okay, So someone teach me how and I will. I am not gifted or even slightly good at the computer and I don't know all the ways of working this site. I would like to know, so would someone clue me in? Thanks for your help.
Debbie
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 08:28
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Here's a sticky well worth reading:

Effective Use of the Search Function

It gives tips on how to get better hits when you search, than what the search engine delivers as default.

Last edited by gilibel : Sun, Feb-01-04 at 08:31.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 08:29

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

If you scroll to the top of the thread, you'll see a row of green buttons that say home, profile, calendar, members, faq, search, logout and gallery. Choose the "search" button, and you'll be re-directed to a page where you can type in a keyword.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 09:42

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I think it makes perfect sense. People come here for conversation and support and using the "search" feature merely brings you to the archives. When I have a question, I would like it to be more "live" in order to chat with people who are still on this forum. If I just wanted the information, I would read the books instead of being on the forum.

It is the human contact people are often interested in, not the archived information. Sometimes, the best way to "chat" is to read and respond to questions that have, in fact, been asked 100 times before.

I only read topics that interest me but when I have the time, I enjoy responding to, and welcoming newcomers. Every question is important to the one asking it.......

Orchid