Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 02:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From BBC News Online
11 February, 2009

Quote:
Time to 'reclaim the night' for sleep

VIEWPOINT
By Neil Stanley
Sleep researcher, University of East Anglia

We all know the health risks of smoking, drinking and eating too much. But sleep expert Neil Stanley says we don't pay attention to the risks of having too little sleep.

In this week's Scrubbing Up health column, he warns it is time to "reclaim the night".

Good sleep is vital for good physical mental and emotional health - but unfortunately we seem to live in a society that has forgotten this fact.

In terms of healthy living, sleep is as important as good diet and exercise.

Poor or inadequate sleep can have serious consequences on overall health and wellbeing and has been shown to lead to lower immunity, poor performance and mood changes.

In the longer term, inadequate sleep is associated with a greater risk of a number of diseases, such as heart disease, depression and diabetes.

There are also important consequences of poor or inadequate sleep which negatively affect the way we feel and perform during the day.

Round the clock

We are living in an increasingly "tired" society. Think about how you feel at the moment with one as very tired and 10 as feeling wide awake.

I reckon very few of you are a seven, let alone a 10. Why do we go through life feeling this tired?

One reason is the increasing extension of the daytime activities into the night.

When I was growing up in the 1970s, Tomorrow's World each week promised us a future where, due to advances in technology, there would be so much leisure time that we would have to come up with new ways of amusing ourselves.

Unfortunately what was created by all this new technology was the 24/7 society.

Technology never sleeps, and thus people can work around the clock - whether they are in the office or at home.

The long hours, information overload and stresses associated with 21st Century living negatively affect our sleep which, in turn, is detrimental to our health, work performance and even our relationships.

Convenience brings risks

As a society we need to give much more serious consideration to our work/life balance particularly with regards to sleep.

For example it has been estimated that in future a third of the workforce will be working shifts, mainly in the service sector.

However there is a large body of evidence which shows that working shifts is bad for health and increases accidents at work.

So, whilst it is of course important for some workers to work around the clock, does the convenience of paying a bill at 2am really outweigh the health risks of having so many people doing shifts?

It has been reported that tired drivers now cause more deaths on European roads than drunk drivers, and yet whilst it has become socially unacceptable to be drunk behind the wheel or in the workplace it is almost a matter of pride that we believe we can function properly when tired.

Yet you would not want a drunken surgeon operating on you or a drunken train driver taking you to work, so why would you accept a tired one?

The problem of poor sleep is perhaps even more important in children as it has been linked with increased risk of - amongst other things - obesity, diabetes, poor academic performance and behavioural problems.

You only have to watch an episode of Supernanny to see how profound the positive effect of a good night's sleep can be on the behaviour of children.

Over the past decade there has been an increasing body of evidence that shows that sleep plays an important role in regulating weight and controlling appetite, and so I find it surprising that when earlier this year the government started its Change 4 Life healthy living campaign there is no mention of the importance of good sleep.

Isn't it about time we reclaimed the night for sleep?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7880583.stm
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 14:57

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Thanks for bumping this - I'd never seen it before.

Of course I'm up until midnight most nights on this forum! Reminds me of Wendell Berry in his article "Why I will not buy a computer" - he says he doesn't use much artificial light. He works (and writes) during the day and goes to bed when it gets dark.
  #348   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 07:26

BF:

From The Guardian
12 July, 2009

Quote:
Sleepless? Stressed? Anxious? Exhausted?

Relentless consumption, spiralling debt, information overload. Is modern life making you ill? William Leith discovers the hidden problems with living in a 24-hour world

On a Sunday morning in early June, Kate, a 36-year-old counsellor, was sitting on a sofa, drinking a cup of tea, and saying she didn't think she could go on any more. "I can't see a way out," she said. "I look at my life and I don't see any possibility of hope." She dipped her head and put a thumb up to her eye to brush away a tear. "I know I've said it before. But this time... I've come to the end."

Kate said: "I don't know what to do. God, I could just give up. Yesterday I had this feeling that I could just give up my responsibilities. I could become derelict and hopeless. But that's not the way to go, is it? I have a child. I have my job. Something's got to give. I don't know what, but something's got to give, because I'm at breaking point."

I was talking to Kate about exhaustion. I should say, first of all, that Kate is not her real name - she does not want me to use her real name. What if her boss knew the state she was in? For one thing, she is responsible for the wellbeing of other people - people who are supposed to be more vulnerable than her. Although sometimes, these days, she's not so sure.

What state is Kate in, exactly? She is drained beyond belief. Her facial expression reminds you of one of those young combat veterans you see in war photography; she has a "thousand-yard stare". Her facial muscles are somehow bunched up. Her body, she says, aches all over. She is often dizzy and nauseous. She describes her mental state as "foggy" and "fuzzy". On top of this, she has persistent bacterial and viral infections - this month she has had a cough; last month she had aches and fevers. She has just finished two courses of antibiotics; her cough, she says, is dying down. But when one thing dies down, another always springs up to take its place.

Once or twice a day, while she's working, Kate feels as if she's going to faint. It's as if her entire system is shutting down. "Something descends," she says. "I feel draped in it. It's like a curtain coming down." What's the explanation? Kate does very little physical labour. She does not run, or cycle, or walk long distances, or carry heavy loads. Her exhaustion may feel physical, but it is coming from somewhere outside the physical realm. "It's weird," says Kate.

But there's nothing weird or abnormal about Kate. She is one of an enormous number of people with a similar constellation of symptoms - millions of people at the end of their physical, and spiritual, tether. Frank Lipman, a South African doctor working in New York, has identified the condition in hundreds of his patients - he has a word for it: "spent". Lipman says that feeling spent is an understandable response to the 21st century. If you put a human being in a modern city, and add computers, mobile phones, credit cards, neon lights and 24-hour shopping, he says, what do you expect?

An important thing about Kate's situation is this: every night she spends seven hours in bed. It's just that she does not spend all of this time asleep. If she goes to bed at 11.30, it's sometimes an hour before she loses consciousness. Then she wakes up in the middle of the night for another hour or two - or, worse, at 5am, which means lying awake, increasingly desperate, and possibly falling into a doze just before her alarm rings at seven.

"Then I press the snooze button," she says. "Then the alarm rings again - that noise! Oh! And I press the snooze button again. I do this maybe four times. And I just... can't... move. I feel as if I'm glued to the bed. I feel paralysed. And really, really desperate. It's another day - another day of being late for everything, which just compounds the problem, another day of feeling worse than I did the day before. Because it is getting worse. I don't know what to do about it. And I can't imagine what's going to happen next."

I can tell Kate what's likely to happen next. Two years ago I had very similar symptoms. Like Kate, I went through several stages - feeling out of sorts, then exhausted, then drained beyond anything I'd known. And like Kate, my exhaustion was not primarily a physical thing. My work was sedentary, and I took moderate exercise. I worked from home and spent seven or eight hours in bed every night. But like Kate, something - something demonic and inexplicable - was making me wake up in the middle of the night. Like Kate, I would wake in the small hours, at two or three o'clock, and spend the next three or four hours in a state of increasing desperation. And then, when the morning arrived, I didn't wake up properly - instead, I felt as if the possibility of being asleep was gradually being removed, bit by bit, until it was time to admit defeat and get out of bed.

Then I started going beyond Kate's symptoms. I was hit by infections - wave after wave of viral bouts. Sometimes I could feel the exact moment of a virus hitting me. I'd feel flushed, and weak, and my back would ache. After a few months I had attacks that overlapped. I'd feel achy and flushed, and then develop a chest infection, and then blocked sinuses, sore ears, a painful throat, splitting headaches. At some point during this time I stopped being able to work. I couldn't concentrate. I lay on my bed. I was, in Frank Lipman's words, spent. Lying down was my new job, and it was surprisingly hard. Every day I lay there, looking up at the ceiling, wondering how long this was going to last, wondering what might happen next.

During this time I met Greg, who told me what might happen next. Like Kate, Greg would only agree to be interviewed for this article under a pseudonym. Being exhausted is not something you want to advertise. And like Kate, there was no obvious reason for his symptoms. At first, he remembers finding it hard to get out of bed. "I had no energy at all.

I ached. I had flu-like symptoms. That's what I thought it was - flu. But it seemed to be going on for an awfully long time."

Greg says: "I was living with my girlfriend, and she began to notice things. I couldn't do anything beyond work. All I could do was sit on the sofa and watch TV, or maybe read. I had no interest in going out. Moving about felt like a big effort. A half-mile walk felt like five miles. I was crushed with tiredness. Eventually I had to admit it: I couldn't work. Luckily I had medical insurance, and an understanding employer. I took six months off work on full pay."

But the medical establishment couldn't find anything wrong with Greg. He had batteries of tests. His organs all functioned well. He did not have cancer, heart disease, or even high blood pressure. Eventually, Ben Turner, a consultant at London Bridge Hospital, put him on a low dose of an antidepressant similar to Prozac. Greg says, "He said: 'Well, you may not be feeling depressed psychologically, but I can bet you that your body is chemically depressed.' He couldn't identify what was doing this to me. He said the antidepressant would act as some kind of trigger to my metabolism, to bring it back to life. And it worked. For a while, at least."

Greg gradually got better, over a period of six months. The veil of exhaustion lifted; he started functioning again. He was fine for several months. Then it happened again - the aches, the fevers, the inability to get out of bed. The zombie-like sessions in front of the TV. And what had Greg been doing? Just working in an office. "There's got to be something we're not seeing," he says. "Look at what happened to me - I felt half-dead, and the thing that brought me back to life was an anti-depressant. So this thing is partly psychological. It's generated by nothing more than normal life - a lifetime of hitting deadlines in offices, of your constantly beeping BlackBerry; But it's more than that. I would find myself in the supermarket, surrounded by bright fluorescent lighting and rivers of people, all these people arguing about what to buy. And all that stuff on the shelves. Thousands of products. And sometimes I'd look at all these people on the go, moving about, all the aggression and urgency, and I would feel completely alienated from all of it. Like I didn't want to belong at all."

One day in spring 2007 I was walking along a path beside a stream at the edge of a park. I remember looking at the path and wondering whether to cross the park or walk along beside the stream. I stopped and looked around me. I felt an ache in my back, around my shoulder blades, and a sense of unwellness creeping through me. It was familiar - I'd had two or three mild illnesses in the past couple of months.

I remember thinking: "Here we go again." I was 46.

I also remember thinking how strange it was for me to keep getting ill. For years I'd been proud of my strong constitution. Until the age of 40 I was one of those people who was "never" ill. I can clearly remember, at the age of 40, boasting that I had never been ill enough to take a day off work. At the age of 42 I had a bout of salmonella which gave me fevers and hallucinations, and this was followed by a month of other illness - bad cold, bad throat, bad cough, bad sinuses. Then I shook it off. Then I was fine for four more years.

And then came the year of the viral attacks. They were weird - not the usual 24-hour fever. More like the series of attacks I'd had after the food poisoning. There would be a fever with splitting headaches, or a fever with gastric complications. One seemed to combine everything: fever, aching muscles, splitting headache, and a sense that my bowels were about to explode - agonising abdominal pain.

Each time, I shook the virus off. But these viruses - they were closing in on me. The attacks were getting worse, and more frequent. And then, in spring 2007, as I was walking along a path, a feeling of unwellness spread through my back. "Here we go again," I thought. "I really, really could do without this." I was trying to write a book. I was behind with my work. The last thing I needed was to be out of action for a week. A week - that's what I thought it would be. The notion that it would be several months never crossed my mind.

I can look back at my life and trace the lines of what was happening to me. For years I didn't sleep enough. That was the problem. My routines were shaped by late nights, alarm clocks, coffee and alcohol. For a period in my 30s I snorted a lot of cocaine. I watched late-night TV. I watched breakfast TV. In between I fitted in five or six hours of sleep. Sometimes seven. Sometimes 10. Not a healthy routine, it turns out.

I drank in bars that didn't shut until the middle of the night. If I stayed out late one night, I would compensate the next night - by working late. Sometimes, during the day, I'd take an ice cube from the freezer and rub it around the back of my neck. That seemed to work. My coffee intake increased - from one teaspoon, to two teaspoons, to three teaspoons. I became familiar with the nauseous, anxious feeling you get when you are being poisoned by too much caffeine.

I was always doing something to wake myself up, or to keep myself awake. I would often find myself talking to somebody in the dark, in the night, not knowing who this person was. Then I'd realise that I was in bed, and after this, that the person I was talking to was a telephone operator. I always had big bills for alarm calls. During this period I could never quite trust myself around a snooze button.

When I was in my 30s, I travelled a lot. Two hundred flights in five years. I was often jet-lagged. I would land and merge into a 34-hour day, or else find that the day had already disappeared. I would usually wake myself up with a few jolts of alcohol on arrival. Sometimes on these trips I was so desperate for sleep I would find somewhere to hide from the people I was with - under a table, say, or in some shrubbery - and lie down for a few blissful moments.

In his remarkable book about sleep Counting Sheep: The Science and Pleasures of Sleep and Dreams, the science writer Paul Martin tells us what happens when we don't sleep enough. You become anxious. Your body temperature goes up. You have higher levels of adrenaline and cortisol - the stress hormones. You are more likely to develop digestive disorders - the protective protein that repairs intestinal inflammation is released while you sleep. If you don't sleep enough, you get holes in your gut.

And these things tend to be self-reinforcing. Not sleeping enough might give you stomach pain, and stomach pain, in turn, will stop you from sleeping. Sleep, says Martin, is an active state. You may not think you're doing anything when you sleep, but your brain is actually doing an awful lot. It's dreaming, for a start. If you get enough sleep, you will experience five sleep cycles, including five sessions of REM sleep - those times when your eyes flicker about and you experience surreal dreams. Each REM cycle has a slightly different function; the final one, just before you wake up, is thought to help with anxiety and depression.

So if you miss out on your morning dreams, you might become more anxious and depressed. And if you're anxious and depressed, you might find it harder to get to sleep. Lack of sleep, in turn, as Martin says, "can impair the body's immune defences and thereby make us more susceptible to infection by bacteria, viruses, and parasites". In experiments, sleep-deprived mice succumb to the flu virus even when they have been vaccinated against it. Sleep-deprived rats have bacteria in their lymph system. And something similar happens to humans. One night's loss of sleep, Martin tells us, depresses the number of white blood cells - which kill cells that have been infected by viruses - by 28%. Losing sleep also reduces the body's production of a substance called interleukin-2, a chemical messenger that keeps our immune system in shape. And then there's that pesky stress hormone, cortisol - one night's sleep loss, Martin tells us, can raise cortisol levels in the body by as much as 45%. And guess what? Cortisol suppresses immunity.

"The thing that drives chronic fatigue," Dr Ben Turner tells me, "is immunological. Your immune system misfires. I wouldn't say that it exactly breaks down, because with a lot of people it eventually gets better. In any case, the fatigue usually starts with an infection - say, a streptococcal infection of the throat, or a sub-clinical infection, something you don't even notice you've got. But if your immune system is at a sub-optimal level, that's why you get the fatigue. You get so tired because your immune system is working so hard."

Now I can see exactly what happened to me. I'm a human being living in an information-based society. Like all predators, humans tend to sleep when their prey is asleep. But information never sleeps. As a hunter of information,

I deprived myself of sleep for years. But my immune system was good, and I fought off attacks ruthlessly - until I didn't.

And then I got ill, and then the attacks became more frequent, and then, one day, I was walking along the edge of a park and felt the familiar achy feeling that signals the start of a viral infection, and for several months the viral infection did not go away. Lack of sleep had made me ill; illness interfered with my sleep. I became anxious and mildly depressed. It was self-reinforcing - chronic fatigue feeds off itself.

I lay on my bed, thinking about my immune system. It occurred to me that, until I was 40, my immune system was like the Germans on Omaha Beach, as depicted in Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan. In the movie you see the landing craft bouncing through the water. The soldiers in the craft are shaking with fear, and praying, and vomiting. One guy vomits in a way that tells you exactly how terrified he is. He squirts it out, in two jerky spasms. That's how viruses used to feel when they tried to attack me.

But then what happens? The American attack is relentless. Something has to give. Tom Hanks and his little crew of men knock out a machine-gun post, and for a moment, they have "defilade" - an undefended channel they can run into. And after that, the house of cards collapses. Each virus weakens you and clears a path for more viruses to attack you.

This is what happened to me. This is what's happening to more and more people in the developed world. Everything around us - the phones and the clocks and the computers and the hand-held emailing devices - makes us busier. After a certain point we become overloaded.

"A person's total load," writes Dr Frank Lipman, "is the total amount of physical, psychological and environmental stress on his or her body. In the past 30 years this total load on the human body has quadrupled.

"My philosophy," Lipman tells me, "is that we are out of sync with our body rhythms." By "we" he means people in the developed world, which has been ruled by clocks and artificial light for more than 100 years. Human beings, he believes, evolved to sleep when it was dark and wake up when it was light. "We're also overfed and undernourished with food, and undernourished when it comes to light."

Lipman, who has written a book on exhaustion entitled Spent, is a South African who studied medicine in Johannesburg. He worked for a time in KwaNdebele, a rural area north of the city. His patients were poor, certainly - "but," he writes, "they didn't present symptoms of depression, insomnia, or anxiety." In fact, for poor people they were surprisingly healthy - "they did not suffer from fatigue, headaches, digestive problems, or the general aches and pains that my more sophisticated urban patients did."

One thing Lipman realised was that his poor patients did not have electric light - "they were forced to live with the rhythms of nature." And darkness is important, he says - in the dark, your body secretes the sleep hormone melatonin, and this in turn causes the release of other sleep-inducing hormones. Lipman himself tries to go to bed at 10 o'clock every night, in a room with no phone, TV or radio set - and, of course, no alarm clock.

"We get spent," writes Lipman, "because our modern lifestyle has removed us from nature and we have become divorced from its rhythms and cycles." And what is our modern lifestyle? Lipman is very clear on this. "We are slaves

to the corporate model," he says. "I think it is going to get worse and worse - and I don't see any improvement in the near future until we reach some kind of tipping point and wake up."

Speaking on a mobile phone from a beach in Cape Town, Lipman tells me why the modern lifestyle makes us exhausted. We're all chasing money. That's one thing.

And because we're all in debt, we have to chase more money this year than we did the last. If, say, we work in the food industry, we are forced to look at ways of producing food that costs less and that people want more - food, in other words, that is cheap and addictive... If we don't, our profits won't grow, and we'll go bust. If we do, we'll pump our customers full of processed carbohydrates and sugar, which will make their blood sugar spike and crash, exhausting them. And when they're exhausted, what will they want? More sugar and starch.

It's a snowball. An indebted economy must work harder all the time just to stay ahead of the creditors. It must spew up endless new products. More and more choice for the consumer - 50 brands of cooking oil, 200 brands of beer, 500 TV channels, tens of thousands of websites. The American sociologist Barry Schwartz has studied product proliferation, and he believes that, after a certain point, too much choice overloads our brains. "Increased choice," he writes in his book The Paradox of Choice, "may actually contribute to the recent epidemic of clinical depression affecting much of the western world." Schwartz checked out his local supermarket to see how much choice he was being offered. "There were 16 varieties of instant mashed potatoes," he writes.

In his book Faster, the science writer James Gleick makes a similar argument. "The more telephone lines you have," he writes, "the more you need... The more cookbooks you buy or browse, the more you feel the need to serve your guests something new... the more cookbooks you need. The complications beget choice; the choices inspire technology; the technologies create complication."

The modern world, then, makes us work too hard and sleep too little. It's also full of advertising, which is designed to make us feel needy and incomplete. It makes us into predatory producers and hungry consumers. It promotes individualism. It erodes community spirit. It exhausts us. That's what Lipman, Gleick and Schwartz are saying.

And there does not seem to be a way out. Madeleine Bunting, the author of Willing Slaves, a brilliant analysis of our culture of overwork, puts it simply. We live in a world, she tells me, where "nothing is enough". Driven by debt, we need to work harder all the time. Crushed by overwork, our relationships begin to break down. Robbed of the healing balm of relationships, we become more and more insecure and exhausted. More and more exhausted, we become less efficient at our jobs, which makes us more insecure, and so on. In our heads, we are always thinking about what's just ahead rather than what's happening now. "We are out of the now," Bunting tells me, "which is an exhausting place to be."

It's hard to know how many people are becoming ill with exhaustion. But it has been estimated that 100,000 Britons suffer from chronic fatigue - the worst kind. Many more feel wiped out, or spent, or so physically and mentally demoralised they can't get up in the morning. Paul Martin has collected information on how tired people are, and people in developed countries are much more tired than they should be. A poll of Americans found that 22% were "so sleepy during the day that it interfered with their activities".

In my case, tiredness became illness, which turned into a sort of malignant tiredness, which in turn prevented me from sleeping. I spent my days lying down. I did not drink, smoke or take drugs. I ate lots of fruit and vegetables, very little wheat, and no cakes and biscuits. I went on walks - at first short, and then, gradually, longer. At first the walks made me tireder. My headaches got worse. And then one day, a few months after my viral attack in the park, I walked up a hill, and afterwards I felt something novel - I felt refreshed. And I wrote my book. It's about what it's like to be middle-aged and exhausted. It's called Bits of Me Are Falling Apart.

I was lucky. Some people spiral downwards for years. As Dr Ben Turner puts it: "Some people's immune systems correct themselves, and some people's don't." Mine did. I'll be careful in the future. Early nights. No smoking. Definitely no drugs. Lots of walking. And there might be good news for all of us, in a way we never expected. "In the hectic, active world of capitalism, people pushed themselves hard towards their goals," says Ben Turner. "And now, with the recession, they might not do that quite so much."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandst...ess-modern-life
  #349   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 02:20

BF:

From The New Scientist

Quote:
Hacking body with light could speed jet lag recovery

14 July 2009 by Ewen Callaway

Every regular flier has their favourite trick for kicking jet leg, from naps to caffeine. Now a computer program could take much of the guesswork out of these countermeasures, recommending precisely timed light treatments to reset the body's circadian clock.

The circadian clock acts like a pendulum. Over the space of 24 hours or so, the pendulum swings back and forth to complete a cycle. After an abrupt time change this cycle ends up out-of-whack relative to the new time zone. The circadian clock relies on light to recalibrate itself each day. But a poorly timed nap or cup of coffee has the potential to make things worse by pushing the pendulum further out of sync.

To determine when and how to nudge the circadian clock into a new time zone, Dennis Dean and Elizabeth KIerman at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston developed a series of mathematical equations connecting circadian cycle, sleep schedules, mental performance, and light exposure.

Light relief

Other researchers have previously modelled the circadian clock using maths, but no one had approached the task with the goal of hacking the clock with extra light. "Because we have a model that has light stimuli as an input to the circadian system, we can use the model to develop a countermeasure using light," Klerman explains.

Their model also used data collected from hundreds of people involved in sleep studies, which sometimes last more than two months.

Such experiments take place in a specially designed hospital unit staffed 24 hours a day, 350 days per year. Researchers record all vital signs, while tinkering with their sleep schedules and testing their performance on a series of mental tasks. None of the rooms have windows and clocks and calendars are forbidden. "We want them to tell us how they feel without knowing what day it is," Klerman says.

Fantasy flight

To demonstrate their model, the researchers simulated the effects of their targeted light therapy for people on an imaginary trip from New York to Hong Kong – a 12-hour time difference.

Without light therapy, the traveller's circadian clock slowly inched back into sync with the new time zone, but was still off schedule after 12 days. As a result, the traveller is in peak mental form for only a few waking hours a day. However, a traveller who received a six-hour light session at progressively later times each day was back on schedule after just eight days. They were also alert for most of the day.

Dean and Klerman also found that their model was able to predict the circadian responses of laboratory volunteers that had experienced changes mimicking jet lag.

A beta version of the computer program is already available for download. Klerman and Dean hope to license their program to a software company who will create a more user-friendly version. "The whole idea with this program was to be able to just click on one button," says Dean.

In practice, users will need to know the approximate length of their own circadian clocks, as well as the brightness of the light they're using to jog their clocks, Klerman says.

Journal reference: PLoS Computational Biology (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000418)
  #350   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 05:39

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default New treatment for SAD/light and sleep

An old thread update.

I have lifelong SAD and have used full-spectrum light boxes, light bulbs, and desk lamps in blue and green spectrums and full spectrum, upped my vitamin D, followed Paleo diet, blacked out light exposure in two bedrooms and two bathrooms to insure very dark bedroom (Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival)----all with improvements in sleep but something still missing, so on reading an article on CNN yesterday, I followed the link to the following site (purchased some glasses, computer and TV screen, and some lightbulbs)...

https://www.lowbluelights.com/index.asp?

Will post back when I find out if these items work.
  #351   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 10:00

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 6'0"
BF:8%
Progress:

Phenomenal book; I recently gave (grudgingly) the copy that was lent to me back to the owner.

Question for those with a copy: I'm looking for the scientific reference that backs up the statement that the author makes regarding the advice to avoid supplemental melatonin, as it down-regulates our natural secretion.

I realize this may require a bit of digging, but it would be much appreciated.
  #352   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 10:14

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Well, it's always a bonus to have a scientific reference, but this is my general principle:

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.
  #353   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-09, 01:55

BF:

Quote:
The Telegraph
London, UK
23 October, 2009

Bright lights at night 'making us more depressed'

Too much light at night could be making us more depressed, a study has warned.

For many, the harsh, bright glare of fluorescent street lights or office blocks which remain lit overnight has led to sleepless nights and subsequent bad moods.

But now psychologists from Ohio State University in the US, say that being unable to escape to the dark can affect personality, a person's health and could lead to depression.

"The ability to escape light seemed to quell the depressive effects," said Laura Fonken, the study's lead author.

"But constant light with no chance of escape increased depressive symptoms."

Miss Fonken said the results provide additional evidence that the use of artificial light at night may have harmful effects on health.

"This is important for people who work night shifts, and for children and others who watch TV late into the night, disrupting their usual light-dark cycle," she said.

The researchers also said many hospital wards are brightly lit all night, which may add to the problem of in-patients.

Co-author Prof Randy Nelson, a neuroscience expert, said the results suggested more attention needed to be focused on how artificial lighting affects emotional health in people.

He said: "The increasing rate of depressive disorders in humans corresponds with the increasing use of light at night in modern society.

"Many people are now exposed to unnatural light cycles, and that may have real consequences for our health.

The study, published in the journal Behavioural Brain Research, involved tests on 24 male laboratory mice, where it found those kept in a lighted room 24 hours a day showed more depressive symptoms than those that had a normal light-dark cycle.

But mice that lived in constant light, but could escape into a dark opaque tube when they wanted showed less evidence of depressive symptoms than did mice that had 24-hour light, but only a clear tube in their housing.

Half were housed in light for 16 hours a day and darkness for eight hours, while the other half had 24 hours of light.

Half of each group had dark tubes in their units that let them escape the light when they chose. The other half had similar tubes that were clear and let light in.

After three weeks, the mice began a series of tests that are used to measure depression and anxiety in animals.

Several of these tests are the same ones used by pharmaceutical companies to test anti-depressive and anti-anxiety drugs in animals before they are used in humans.

One depression test measured how much sugar water the mice drank. Mice generally like the drink, but those with depressive-like symptoms will not drink as much, as they do not get as much pleasure from activities they usually enjoy.

In all the tests, mice housed in constant light with no chance to escape showed more depressive-like symptoms than those mice with normal light-dark cycles.

In some tests, mice that had tubes where they could escape the constant light showed no more depressive-like symptoms than did mice housed in normal light-dark cycles.

Unexpectedly, the results showed that, compared to the other mice, those that were housed in constant light actually showed lower levels of anxiety and lower levels of corticosterone, a stress hormone linked to symptoms of anxiety.

That was unexpected because anxiety and symptoms of depression often go together in humans.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-depressed.html
  #354   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-09, 01:59

BF:

Quote:
The Independent
London, UK
23 October, 2009

Health campaigners: 'Children should learn the art of a good night's sleep'

National Curriculum should include subject to boost learning, say experts

By Richard Garner, Education Editor

Children should be taught about the importance of a good night's sleep as part of the national curriculum, health campaigners say.

Sleep experts say it is just as important as a healthy diet and exercise in ensuring children get the best out of their schooling. They add that children would be less likely to nod off during lessons.

Lack of sleep, they argue, can lead to an inability to concentrate in lessons – and, of course, falling asleep in the classroom instead of in bed at home. It can also make children irritable, causing behavioural problems.

A survey of more than 2,000 parents by the Sleep Council published today reveals that nearly half did not realise that their children needed 12 hours' sleep a night at the age of three. And fewer than four out of 10 were aware that teenagers need between eight and nine hours' sleep a night.

As a result of the survey, a petition has been launched on the Downing Street website calling for sleep education to become part of the national curriculum.

Chris Idzikowski, of the Edinburgh Sleep Centre, said: "Our education system must take this subject on board in a serious and structured way.

"We teach children about nutrition and ensure regular exercise is part of their weekly activities but the third critical ingredient of a healthy lifestyle – sleep – is barely touched upon."

The survey showed two-thirds of parents (67 per cent) admitted to worrying about the amount or quantity of sleep their children got and 96 per cent agreed lack of sleep or poor quality sleep is damaging to the health and wellbeing of children.

It also showed that 80 per cent of parents interviewed recognised how important sleep was for a child to do well at school.

Regular bedtimes followed by a comfortable bed were said to be the most important factors in getting a good night's sleep. Other factors were a dark room, no gadgets, exercise and a nutritious diet.

Nick Stanley, an independent sleep consultant, said: "Sleep is a basic and fundamental human requirement and is vitally important for good physical, mental and emotional health.

"It's crucial for memory, learning and growth which means it is necessary for children to get enough sleep."

The Sleep Council points out there is no mention of the word "sleep" in national curriculum guidelines while there are several mentions of the necessity to ensure a healthy diet and that children should take exercise.

Jessica Alexander, its spokeswoman, said: "The lack of education about sleep and the factors critical to achieving the necessary quantity and quality must be addressed in schools as well as home if today's children are to take the subject seriously."

Taking the subject seriously and instilling healthy sleeping habits into children could help a school improve its exam and test score results.

Meanwhile new research out today from the Independent Schools Council shows the average cost of state education is more than £8,000 a year – rather than the £6,000 figure cited by the Departmental for Children, Schools and Families. The ISC argues the increased cost underlines the importance of its sector in saving the state the cost of educating its pupils.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...ep-1807636.html
  #355   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 04:38

BF:

Quote:
Disruption Of Circadian Rhythms Affects Both Brain And Body, Mouse Study Finds

ScienceDaily (Oct. 28, 2009) — A new study has found that chronic disruption of one of the most basic circadian (daily) rhythms -- the day/night cycle -- leads to weight gain, impulsivity, slower thinking, and other physiological and behavioral changes in mice, similar to those observed in people who experience shift work or jet lag.

The research, presented at Neuroscience 2009, the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience and the world's largest source of emerging news about brain science and health, is helping scientists better understand the neurobiological mechanisms behind circadian disruptions.

"Our findings have implications for humans," said lead author Ilia Karatsoreos, PhD, of Rockefeller University. "In our modern industrialized society, the disruption of our individual circadian rhythms has become commonplace, from shift work and jet lag to the constant presence of electric lighting. These disruptions are not only a nuisance, they can also lead to serious health and safety problems," he said.

Karatsoreos and his colleagues housed the animals in a day/night cycle of 20 hours (10 hours of light and 10 hours of dark), rather than the roughly 24-hour cycle to which the animals' internal brain and body clocks are normally set. After six to eight weeks, the mice exhibited numerous physiological changes not seen in a control group. These included greater weight gain, changes in body temperature rhythms, and alterations in metabolic hormones such as insulin and leptin (a key regulator of appetite). The mice with the disrupted rhythms also demonstrated behavioral changes -- specifically, increased impulsivity and decreased cognitive flexibility (the ability to adapt new strategies to new situations).

"We also found that the animals' brains displayed neural changes in the medial prefrontal cortex, an area important for regulating impulsivity and cognitive flexibility," Karatsoreos said. "Those changes may help explain some of the behavioral effects of circadian disruptions."

Research was supported by Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the National Institute of Mental Health, and Sepracor.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...91026225744.htm
  #356   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Pure Carnivore (+salt :-)
Stats: 289/240/00 Male 5'9"
BF:35?%/?%/10%?
Progress: 17%

Does anyone know if wearing a blindfold would help with the effects of light? I like having some light in the bedroom in case it's dark when I get up, and it seems easier to wear a mask, since I could take that off if I need to get up.

Similarly, I've worn ear plugs a few times and that seems to help with sleep, so am wondering if anyone's experimented with covering the eyes?

joe
  #357   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-09, 07:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB2
Does anyone know if wearing a blindfold would help with the effects of light? I like having some light in the bedroom in case it's dark when I get up, and it seems easier to wear a mask, since I could take that off if I need to get up.

Similarly, I've worn ear plugs a few times and that seems to help with sleep, so am wondering if anyone's experimented with covering the eyes?

joe
I asked the exact same question quite early on in the thread (post # 193), and was given quite an interesting answer by TS Wiley's husband (post # 213)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
post # 193
However, my thought is this ~ wouldn't moonlight/starlight have meant that it wasn't totally dark at night for our ancestors either??
(I can't remember if this point has already been touched on here, so apologies if I'm repeating it).

Which leads me on to why we should need to sleep in total darkness now (as well as making sure that we do not expose any part of our skin)? - I'm just wondering if something as simple as wearing a sleep mask would be sufficient for the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraden
post # 213
Ask yourself this question: How do blind people's bodies know when it's night or day? The answer is that light enters your body from your skin, not just your eyes. There was a study at U of Chicago where they had two groups in total darkness. One group had a small fiber optic light shining on the backside of one knee. The control group didn't. The group with the light had significantly higher insulin levels than the control group.
  #358   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 07:26

BF:

From Dr Briffa's blog:

Quote:
Early to bed…

Posted By Dr John Briffa On January 4, 2010

I believe that sleep is a much under-rated past-time. Two years ago, I wrote a blog post which punted getting more sleep as a worthwhile New Year resolution. And my recent post of 10 potential New Year resolutions also included one on getting adequate sleep. So, I was interested to see a recent study getting some attention which found that, in adolescents, setting of bedtimes by parents of midnight or later was associated with an increased risk of depression and ‘suicidal ideation’ compared to bedtimes of 10.00 pm or earlier [1]. Such ‘epidemiological’ studies cannot be used to conclude that going to bed late causes low mood and suicidal tendencies. However, it is certainly one line of evidence which suggests that getting an early night might have benefits for us.

One reason for this is that individuals going to bed earlier might simply be more likely to get adequate amounts of sleep. For most of us, especially during the working/school week, the start time for the day is relatively fixed. It’s fixed by things like getting to school, ferrying the kids to school, getting to meetings, missing the rush hour traffic etc. Because of this, most of us do not have many options to extend sleep by staying in bed. If we want to get more (and perhaps adequate levels of) sleep, going to bed earlier is the only sensible tactic for the majority of us, the majority of the time.

Some people have theorised that going to bed earlier also reaps dividends in that ‘an hour of sleep before midnight is worth two after’. Part of the reason this might be is relates to the fact that, for a given amount of sleep, going to bed earlier can mean longer spent in deeper, more restorative (non-REM) sleep. I can’t find any definitive work on this, but what I do know from my experience in practice is that individuals who shift their sleep forward a bit (so that even if they are not sleeping longer, they are sleeping earlier) almost always feel better in time for doing this. Higher levels of energy in the morning, and right throughout the day, is not an uncommon finding.

There is, in my view, another reason for going to bed earlier – it means that we find it easier (perhaps even easy) to get up earlier too. And the benefit here? Well, individuals who get up early tend to find something useful to do with the time they have created, such as taking exercise, having or at least preparing (to eat later) breakfast, or clearing emails and other distractions to enable the day to be started with a ‘clean slate’.

Compare these useful activities with, perhaps, the activity time you may have ‘stolen’ from the late evening the day before. Because, to be frank, for many of us this will be taken up watching or drifting in and out of consciousness in front of rubbish TV, doing some mindless internet surfing or engaging in some other not very enriching activity.

If you would like to shift your sleep cycle to an earlier time, then one big tip I have for you is to start by getting up earlier than you ordinarily do now. So, if you get up at 7.30, start getting up at, say, 6.00. In a day or two you’ll likely push yourself into such extreme sleep deprivation that you’ll be forced to go to bed earlier than usual. Often, within a week or two, individuals will find themselves settling into this earlier routine and reaping the dividends that usually come with it.

In the long term, the odd late night will not hurt. However, to avoid slipping back into old habits it’s important to be quite disciplined regarding your earlier bed time. Here are a few habits that can help:

1. Set a time when you’re going to commit to turn off the TV by (e.g.
10.00 pm)

2. If that’s too draconian for your partner and/or family, set a time by which you remove yourself from any room in which the TV is on

3. Perhaps better still, don’t turn on the TV in the first place

4. Set a time by which you will close down your computer, or at the very least cease on-line activity

5. Set a time by which you will stop any checking of email on a smartphone or similar device

6. Spend a few minutes planning the next day, in terms of the most important things you want to get done, and how and when you’re going to do them so that you are more likely to ‘rest in peace’.

Another habit worth getting into is to be quite disciplined in work and social situations. I was reminded of the importance of this recently during a conversation with a friend and colleague. He is an ‘early to bed’ type, who was telling me that he has quite specific strategies for dealing with evening events that are usually work-related. For example, if it’s a dinner, he sets an early start time. No ‘let’s meet at 7.30 for 8.00’ for this man. Meet times will typically be 6.30 pm. He will eat, discuss what needs to be discussed, and then has the conviction at a relatively early hour (e.g. 8.30 or 9.00 pm) to say, in effect: “Thanks very much, that’s been a very useful/enjoyable/enlightening evening – I’m going now.” I know he’s true to his word on this, because I’ve witnessed him doing it several times in real life.

The result of this is that my friend rarely gets into bed later than he really wants too. But as he pointed out to me also recently, it can mean that maybe other people don’t stay up later than they want to either. Because, it’s not uncommonly the case that the reason events go on late into the evening is because no-one wants to be the first person to leave. My friend doesn’t have any inhibition about this, and because of this can ‘liberate’ his friends and colleagues earlier than they otherwise would be.

So, when in such situations yourself, you might like to do yourself (and your friends and colleagues) a big favour by meeting early, and leaving at a sociable hour too.

References:

1. Gangwisch JE, et al. Parental bedtimes and adolescent depression. Sleep 2009;33(01):97-106

http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2010/01/04/early-to-bed/
  #359   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 04:27

BF:

Quote:
From BBC News
January 14, 2020

Melatonin production falls if the lights are on

Having the lights on before bedtime could result in a worse night's sleep, according to a study to be published in the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism.

The research shows that the body produces less of the sleep hormone melatonin when exposed to light.

Sleep patterns have been linked to some types of cancer, blood pressure and diabetes.

The US researchers also found lower melatonin levels in shift workers.

Lifestyles may have moved on from a day/night rhythm, but it seems the human body has not.

The pineal gland produces melatonin through the night and starts when darkness falls.

Researchers have shown that switching on lights in the home switches off the hormone's production.

Less melatonin

In the study, 116 people spent five days in room where the amount of light and sleep was controlled. They were awake for 16 hours and asleep for eight hours each day.

Initially the patients were exposed to 16 hours of room light during their waking hours. They were then moved onto eight hours of room light in the morning and eight hours of dim light in the evening.

The researchers found that electrical light between dusk and bedtime strongly suppressed melatonin levels. With dim light, melatonin was produced for 90 minutes more a day.

Dr Joshua Gooley, lead author from Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, said: "Our study shows that this exposure to indoor light has a strong suppressive effect on the hormone melatonin.

"This could, in turn, have effects on sleep quality and the body's ability to regulate body temperature, blood pressure and glucose levels."

Keeping the lights on through the night also reduced the amount of melatonin produced.

Dr Gooley said: "Given that chronic light suppression of melatonin has been hypothesised to increase relative risk for some types of cancer and that melatonin receptor genes have been linked to type 2 diabetes, our findings could have important health implications for shift workers."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12181853

Quote:
Room Light Before Bedtime May Impact Sleep Quality, Blood Pressure and Diabetes Risk

ScienceDaily (Jan. 13, 2011) — According to a recent study accepted for publication in The Endocrine Society's Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (JCEM), exposure to electrical light between dusk and bedtime strongly suppresses melatonin levels and may impact physiologic processes regulated by melatonin signaling, such as sleepiness, thermoregulation, blood pressure and glucose homeostasis.

Melatonin is a hormone produced at night by the pineal gland in the brain. In addition to its role in regulating the sleep-wake cycle, melatonin has been shown to lower blood pressure and body temperature and has also been explored as a treatment option for insomnia, hypertension and cancer. In modern society, people are routinely exposed to electrical lighting during evening hours to partake in work, recreational and social activities. This study sought to understand whether exposure to room light in the late evening may inhibit melatonin production.

"On a daily basis, millions of people choose to keep the lights on prior to bedtime and during the usual hours of sleep," said Joshua Gooley, PhD, of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, Mass. and lead author of the study. "Our study shows that this exposure to indoor light has a strong suppressive effect on the hormone melatonin. This could, in turn, have effects on sleep quality and the body's ability to regulate body temperature, blood pressure and glucose levels."

In this study, researchers evaluated 116 healthy volunteers aged 18-30 years who were exposed to room light or dim light in the eight hours preceding bedtime for five consecutive days. An intravenous catheter was inserted into the forearms of study participants for continuous collection of blood plasma every 30-60 minutes for melatonin measurements. Results showed exposure to room light before bedtime shortened melatonin duration by about 90 minutes when compared to dim light exposure. Furthermore, exposure to room light during the usual hours of sleep suppressed melatonin by greater than 50 percent.

"Given that chronic light suppression of melatonin has been hypothesized to increase relative risk for some types of cancer and that melatonin receptor genes have been linked to type 2 diabetes, our findings could have important health implications for shift workers who are exposed to indoor light at night over the course of many years," said Gooley. "Further research is still needed to both substantiate melatonin suppression as a significant risk factor for breast cancer and determine the mechanisms by which melatonin regulates glucose metabolism."

Other researchers working on the study include: Kyle Chamberlain of the University of Surrey in the United Kingdom; and Kurt Smith, Sat Bir Khalsa, Shantha Rajaratnam, Eliza Van Reen, Jamie Zeitzer, Charles Czeisler and Steven Lockley of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, Mass.

Journal Reference:

Joshua Gooley et al. Exposure to room light prior to bedtime suppresses melatonin onset and shortens melatonin duration in humans. JCEM, March 2011
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...10113082716.htm
  #360   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 05:37
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB2

joe

I can sleep until it's really light with a sleepmask. My sleepmask is black and lets in no light at all. Ok we do absorb light through our skin aswell, but this makes a dramatic difference to my sleep. Using a sleepmask will reduce the amount of light that might disturb your sleep.

I tend to sleepwalk if it's pitchblack, something to do with not waking up properly from dreams, so I have experimented with light in the room etc. The only light that doesn't adversely affect my sleep is a dim nightlight in the hall where a tiny amount of that light seeps under the closed door, enough to orient me if I wake at night.
Hope that helps. Go for it. Yes to the earplugs aswell - give yourself as much help as possible to not be disturbed in your sleep.

Remember, before we were more civilised we used to sleep in caves and have always slept under shelter which would probably have reduced the effects of starlight etc.