Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 13:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default How much fiber?

I use a fiber supplement advised by my dr. in my protein shakes or just in flavored "zero" water, but I still can't get my fiber up to the 30g recommended. Today I am at 12 and it's almost supper time. I have some problems in this area so this is a big deal. What is you workable percentage of fiber and what do you suggest I do to get things moving along? Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 133/124/112 Female 58ins
BF:
Progress:

Fibre is in all vegetables, but more in some than others... Here's a list....

How you incorporate these items is naturally, up to you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 23:07
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Doctors always suggest fibre because they are scared of fat. Seriously. I personally have a gut condition that is actually exacerbated by eating too much fibre, yet still some doctors persist in asking me have I tried adding more. Grr.

How much fat are you eating, and are you getting enough water? Sometimes adding fibre when not drinking more water can make the problem worse.

Magnesium can be a lifesaver for many with constipation. I think that is a far better and healthier option than fibre,

You might also be interested in what research says about fibre:

Bottom line on high fibre
Dr. Mike on fiber
Study finds dietary fibre is more likely to be cause of, rather than a cure for, constipation and other bowel symptoms
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 03:28
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 133/124/112 Female 58ins
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Doctors always suggest fibre because they are scared of fat. Seriously. I personally have a gut condition that is actually exacerbated by eating too much fibre, yet still some doctors persist in asking me have I tried adding more. Grr.

How much fat are you eating, and are you getting enough water? Sometimes adding fibre when not drinking more water can make the problem worse.

Magnesium can be a lifesaver for many with constipation. I think that is a far better and healthier option than fibre....

Very good points, ~Rosebud, thanks.... Am also passing on this info (including links) to my daughter, who was asking me about this very topic, actually...!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 06:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud

Magnesium can be a lifesaver for many with constipation. I think that is a far better and healthier option than fibre,

You might also be interested in what research says about fibre:

Bottom line on high fibre
Dr. Mike on fiber
Study finds dietary fibre is more likely to be cause of, rather than a cure for, constipation and other bowel symptoms

Thank you. I will check up on magnesium. I was trying Fiber One for a while and thought I would die, it was so much worse.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 09:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Here is another vote for magnesium and water

Also, hot coffee on an empty stomach

Getting regular exercise

On average, I get about 15-20g per day and do just fine

My favorite sources are avos and flaxseed- the rest varies in source but comes from veggies and nuts or seeds

Tiger nuts (actually a tuber not a nut) are higher carb 9 net per serving but they really are amazing for this. They are a prebiotic, and I find them at whole foods in the section with kale chips and dehydrated fruit and those types of snacky things.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 11:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Fiber supplements, flaxseeds and that 25-30g/day fibre guideline just stopped me up. What works for me:

- water throughout the day & 250-500 mg magnesium before bed (helps with sleep, mood & bones too)
- hot coffee on an empty stomach
- 80-120g of fat a day from meat, poultry, fish, nuts, OO & CO
- only 6g fiber/day on average
- 2 bigger meals per day & no snacks (except for nuts to tide me over a couple of times a week; stomach stretching activates digestion/elimination).

Make sure you start with a lower dose of magnesium (200-250 mg) at first to avoid the runs. Look for chelated forms of Mg (will end in "-ate"). A little Mg oxide in the mix is OK, but all Mg oxide is hard on the gut.

And if you haven't been using coconut oil, start with 1/2 to 1 Tbsp and build up.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 06:18

BF:

Wow, I can't wait to try these ideas...one at a time!