Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 09:03

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Struggling...

Hi everyone,

my job and school work are stressing me out. Way to many high carb days lately. This is the biggest crisis I've experienced since going low carb about a year ago.

This is what I've planned to get back on track so far:

1. Log all food in My Plan
2. Go back to Atkins induction
3. Hang out on forum for moral support and listen to LCHF podcasts

Any other suggestions. I'm not sure if I should just consider fasting for a few days? This should all be nearly over by Friday. Any tips, suggestions and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 11:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
Hi everyone,

my job and school work are stressing me out. Way to many high carb days lately. This is the biggest crisis I've experienced since going low carb about a year ago.

This is what I've planned to get back on track so far:

1. Log all food in My Plan
2. Go back to Atkins induction
3. Hang out on forum for moral support and listen to LCHF podcasts

Any other suggestions. I'm not sure if I should just consider fasting for a few days? This should all be nearly over by Friday. Any tips, suggestions and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I certainly am not one to preach, but what really helps is to be prepared...
I have fresh veg like mini cukes and celery on hand at all times, cook up some hard boiled eggs, and I love fish, so got myself a whole bunch of kippered snacks, cheap and easy, and don't let yourself get too hungry so not sure doing the fast thing right away is the way to go.
and for me, like any other addiction, walk away, when I quit smoking I had to not go to bars and to stay away from my smoker friends, you need to make the tough decisions. We constantly have doughnuts, and cupcakes and muffins and pizza ...you name it, you just have to have that resolve, slow but sure and we will get there.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 12:43

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

^^
What Robyn said!

Fill up on HFLC foods and you won;t have room or as much desire for old carby favs...

You CAN do it!!!

jams
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 12:43
Registered Member

Stats: 133/124/112 Female 58ins
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
.....Any other suggestions. I'm not sure if I should just consider fasting for a few days? This should all be nearly over by Friday. Any tips, suggestions and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What I did, when my hubby and I decided that this was our way to go, was to clear away every single trace of carbs in our food cupboard.

I got rid of an awful lot of stuff; some things I took to work to let others eat if they chose (packet soups, noodles-in-a-cup, biscuits, crisps, snack-treats) and other stuff, I gave away to a local homeless kitchen, to prepare for others....

I have no more high-carb foods. no more rice, pasta, potatoes or bread, no more flour, nothing.

It really does help to move temptation out of reach....

And of course, I've replaced everything with what we now eat.... I'm going to need a bigger fridge though.....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 13:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
I certainly am not one to preach, but what really helps is to be prepared...
I have fresh veg like mini cukes and celery on hand at all times, cook up some hard boiled eggs, and I love fish, so got myself a whole bunch of kippered snacks, cheap and easy, and don't let yourself get too hungry so not sure doing the fast thing right away is the way to go.
and for me, like any other addiction, walk away, when I quit smoking I had to not go to bars and to stay away from my smoker friends, you need to make the tough decisions. We constantly have doughnuts, and cupcakes and muffins and pizza ...you name it, you just have to have that resolve, slow but sure and we will get there.

Those are all great ideas! Your probably right about not fasting right now too. I've gotta stay strong!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 17:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

During times of stress, low carb eating keeps me calmer, more grounded, sleeping better. So it's self-care! Fasting might make me too impulsive and grumpy and irritable?
What I do is make double and triple portions when I cook, so I have lots of snacks available. Cooked bacon in fridge, boiled eggs, cold chicken ready to be mixed with mayo and Dijon, sausages, etc. I loves olives and pickles i so stock up on those. I keep a bag of unsalted Brazil nuts or macadamia nuts (unsalted seems to be ok for me) in my PURSE because I'm terrified of being hungry / hangry and collapsing into some stupid carby snack because that's all that's available. Plus, under stress, don't worry about quantity....just stay with on-plan foods. Good luck! You can do this!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 17:47

BF:

I'm happy to report back on plan!! I took everyone's suggestions. Made lots of low carb snacks, foods and treats. Have tried and been successful in keeping carbs less than 30 grams. Cravings and urge to eat carbs are gradually going away.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 21:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
I'm happy to report back on plan!! I took everyone's suggestions. Made lots of low carb snacks, foods and treats. Have tried and been successful in keeping carbs less than 30 grams. Cravings and urge to eat carbs are gradually going away.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

Good for you, you've got this. Never let yourself get hungry, don't eat if you're not hungry...
Celery with cream cheese is good for the crunch, topped with olives is delish, goat cheese and Kalamata olives or bacon...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 03:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Stephanie, Glad to hear you are back on plan. I listen to many LC nutrition podcasts while walking and driving. They are linked in my mind now...I can't hear the new interview with Dr whoever unless walking. And DietDoctor gives access to hundreds of video interviews to stream when in house, so I find some chore to do at the same time. This forum, videos and podcasts are great reinforcement.
Agree with all the good advice above that this is not a time to fast, it is much easier when you are fully fat adapted and at the point that sometimes you "just aren't hungry" during the day. That will happen if you stick to Induction and eliminate any trigger foods like nuts and wine. When you are ready, there are videos and articles by Dr Fung explaining how to fast on DietDoctor, and he has been interviewed on many other podcasts. Megan Ramos who runs the IDM patient program is also good.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-25-17 at 03:46.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 04:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 213/205.4/130 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 9%

Treat yourself to a good steak or something you can eat on plan, but wouldn't eat every day... lobster, steak, crab bisque. I find that incorporating a treat meal in the beginning of a re-start really helps reinforce the fun indulgence side of lchf and show that we are by no means depriving ourselves, just making better choices.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 13:33

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Good for you, you've got this. Never let yourself get hungry, don't eat if you're not hungry...
Celery with cream cheese is good for the crunch, topped with olives is delish, goat cheese and Kalamata olives or bacon...

This advice is PERFECT!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 05:14

BF:

Yum!! Another great low carb snack. Thanks. I just bought some celery!! Will give this recipe a try

Quote:
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 05:16

BF:

Thanks for the great advice!! I never would have thought of that. Lobster coming up with lots of butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCarber
Treat yourself to a good steak or something you can eat on plan, but wouldn't eat every day... lobster, steak, crab bisque. I find that incorporating a treat meal in the beginning of a re-start really helps reinforce the fun indulgence side of lchf and show that we are by no means depriving ourselves, just making better choices.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 05:18

BF:

Thanks!! I do listen to Keto talk, Jimmy Moore and Dr. Fung podcasts regularly. Does Diet Doctor have stuff you can download and listen to on your phone? Like to listen while taking walks or driving into work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Stephanie, Glad to hear you are back on plan. I listen to many LC nutrition podcasts while walking and driving. They are linked in my mind now...I can't hear the new interview with Dr whoever unless walking. And DietDoctor gives access to hundreds of video interviews to stream when in house, so I find some chore to do at the same time. This forum, videos and podcasts are great reinforcement.
Agree with all the good advice above that this is not a time to fast, it is much easier when you are fully fat adapted and at the point that sometimes you "just aren't hungry" during the day. That will happen if you stick to Induction and eliminate any trigger foods like nuts and wine. When you are ready, there are videos and articles by Dr Fung explaining how to fast on DietDoctor, and he has been interviewed on many other podcasts. Megan Ramos who runs the IDM patient program is also good.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 05:19

BF:

What are kippered snacks? Curious..