Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 18:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Spending years and years in a glucose metabolism the foods that I grew to love most where the foods that would quickly get my blood sugar back up. Cravings were driven by blood sugar swings. Hunger is an indescribable state of existence. Most all of my favorite foods became those things that would provide quick relieve - making me feel better (for a while, anyway). That, for me, made my favorite foods very addictive over time. I put in the time. I ate the good stuff regularly.

So - answer your question - I see the issue of cravings as two fold. Eating low carb stabilizes your blood sugar. That immediate need to feed regularly fades away quickly. You learn to sense real hunger. You find that you can have long periods of satiety between meals. In other words, the near consent hunger goes away. You will find that the desire to munch on something regularly is now more of a habit than a need. In time most of us take on the task of curbing that habit and eventually end up eating much less often than we use to.

However, the longing for those old carb and sugar loaded favorites is a real experience and I think it is more intense for some of us than in is for others. For me this was the biggest road-block to success. This type of craving actually intensified over time. I'd be fine for the first few weeks of the diet, but then I'd just start feeling more and more deprived. Low carb food does not provide that same WOW FACTOR that my old go-to treats did. My brain missed that in my food and steered me towards them with increasing intensity as the weeks went by. That, my dear, is the addictive nature of those foods. In the past I would always cheat and give in to these cravings eventually. I didn't do that this time and I found that these cravings too will pass. It just takes a little longer. For me it was a few months, but I imagine that this varies from one person to another. After 4 or 5 months of stick exclusively to on-plan food, I was overjoyed to learn that the pull and power that those junky foods had over me was fading away. I felt less deprived. I could be in sight, in arms reach of candy, donuts, bread, French fries, and fresh, hot pizza and not feel that intense desire to dive in and get my share. I hadn't forgotten that those foods taste good. I just didn't feel a need for them anymore and I knew that indulging in them would just resurrect that need. So I stayed out of them. They have become foods that I don't eat. It was awesome to finally be free from them. That freedom is what made it possible for me to finally reach my goal.

Wow. Thank you SO much for sharing.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 18:18

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess
What are franken-foods?

Anything artificial that folks eat that aren't in the original Atkins guidelines; you know, stuff like protein shakes, meal replacement shakes, meal replacement bars, low carb pasta, low carb this low carb that...

I found that those things caused cravings no matter what. The more I ate of them the worse it got, they didn't make things better for me.

Cravings pass, that's a fact.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 18:48

Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
Anything artificial that folks eat that aren't in the original Atkins guidelines; you know, stuff like protein shakes, meal replacement shakes, meal replacement bars, low carb pasta, low carb this low carb that...

I found that those things caused cravings no matter what. The more I ate of them the worse it got, they didn't make things better for me.

Cravings pass, that's a fact.

Ah. I haven't had any Atkins products in about 3 weeks. I've been drinking Advant Edge shakes from time to time for breakfast because they are so convenient and I don't like eating much in the morning.