Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 11:52

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Eating and exercise

I am curious to see what other people on this thread are doing for exercise.

I just started back this month on Atkins and I have been hesitant to exercise to much because it makes me hungry...

Just been walking between 1 and 2 miles a day..

What do you do for exercise and how do you find it affects your appetite?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 12:50

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Jeanette!

I'm like you-if I exercise too intensley, my appetite goes WAY up!

I got a gym membership in the fall, and promptly over did it. SO, I have only been a few times...When I go, I try to get in 20-30 min of cardio (walk/jog/row/steps machine...) and then I pick a muscle group and burn it out (reps: 12-10-8-6-12-12) going up in heaviness each time, until the last; that one is at lightest.

I got that basic plan for weights from Body for Life. It is the only thing I've ever done that let me see definition in my arms! I need to be more consistent with my work outs.

Also, sometimes, it seems like exercise doesn't play a role at all in weight loss. We just got back from a 5 day trip to California- we walked 10 miles, 6 miles and 10 miles on the three days we were in the park. That is WAY more walking than I usually do (and TWICE the 10,000 recommended steps/day!) but I lost NOTHING! It WILL come off... but I think we've been mislead as far as teh impact exercise can make.

I do exercise now becasue I think it's good to move, and stretch, and I miss my muscles of my youth... as far as helping to lose weight... not sure.

I think you walking every day is excellent.

I need to be more consistent.

Have a great Sunday!
jams
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 17:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have to confess I'm not an exerciser.
My plan is (was) to go low carb for about a year before I expected myself to add exercise in this long-term journey to better health. But after three months I have found I've got more energy and my body naturally wants to move more. So I've started very relaxed stationary biking, and walking when I can. It's not a lot, not cardio.

I have been more hungry this month...maybe that's why, I never thought of that!

Still, I think the balance of movement and healthy food will work itself out over long term. Our bodies need both.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 21:43
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

When I was young, exercise was not part of my way of life. The exercise I got on my job was pretty strenuous, but exercising at the gym just never happened.

Now that I'm old, exercise is an essential part of every day of my life.

I use a Fitbit to monitor my miles. Started over 3 years ago and do at least 2 miles every morning before anything else.

Mild yoga is also essential to keep the moving parts actually moving.

Recently, I hired a trainer at the gym and have been working out there.

I noticed the day after my session, I lose a few ounces. (At this point, ounces of weight loss are the most I can hope for.)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 04:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Fung has a good explanation why exercise does work for weight loss. His website has many other articles on CICO, and his book excellent, but this one focused on Total Energy Expenditure:

https://intensivedietarymanagement....gy-expenditure/

And Half of the article is about Compensation "First, caloric intake increases in response to exercise—we just eat more following a vigorous workout. (They don’t call it “working up an appetite” for nothing.)". The first link to the BMJ article also a good explanation.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 05:10
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I haven't found that exercising increases my appetite. But then Imma not doing like really intensive exercising either.

I just exercise to improve my overall good health which keeps my joints, bones and muscles etc, healthy. I figure every little bit helps at my age!

I don't like to sit idle so I generally do a stationary bike for several hours every morning (pedalin' at 3.25-3.5 mph) where I do all my computer stuff and I walk 5 miles or more a day.

Every other day I do planks, push-ups and wall sits and on alternate days, I do 20 mins of weight training...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 05:16
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Fung has a good explanation why exercise does work for weight loss. His website has many other articles on CICO, and his book excellent, but this one focused on Total Energy Expenditure:

https://intensivedietarymanagement....gy-expenditure/

And Half of the article is about Compensation "First, caloric intake increases in response to exercise—we just eat more following a vigorous workout. (They don’t call it “working up an appetite” for nothing.)". The first link to the BMJ article also a good explanation.
Thanks for sharing that article, Janet!

I already knew some of the information but it was so nice to have it explained so well, IMHO!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 05:21

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi jeanette, I'm doing some body weight exersize now that I hope will enhance my "play" - Play is the only way that I've found to maintain physical fitness for myself. I find it difficult both mentally and physically to go to a gym or club wen the great outdoors is sitting there waiting for you to live it in. Thus I think your walking is a great thing - stay off the treadmill As for hunger, I usually don't notice much difference because if I'm hungry I eat but don't pay too much attention to the amount that I eat, just the content of what I eat as far as carbs go (currently between 20-30)

Go PLAY is my advice to you and eat to fuel that play!

My recently retired friend and I out monkying around with a new kite for kiteboarding this season

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2017misc/couldClip2.m4v

#9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 06:28
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

For me, exercise is an appetite suppressant.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 07:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I exercise a lot most folks would say.
For my normal routine (5 days a week of around 90 minutes of activity- including walking), I find it suppresses appetite.......or more, I'm not grazing if I'm busy.

When I do very prolonged exercise (I do 6-12 hour trail races) I have no appetite at ALL, but e next day I'm ravenous.

For just normAl exercise though, I would say it helps me.

And exercise is critical not just for its relationship with weight- it is for your bone density, your range of motion, to keep electrical impulses firing, to keep your heart strong, to prevent Dementia, to keep blood sugar low, etc, etc, etc.....
As mentioned above by others, you don't need a gym. But you do need exercise.
I'd start simple with something enjoyable like walking with a friend or spouse in a pretty place like a park.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 07:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Thud- haha, have fun! I went windsurfing a few times ago and really liked it once I got the hang of it
Kite boarding looked fun!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Play is the only way that I've found to maintain physical fitness for myself.

Yes!!! I have not been exercising for several reasons, or excuses, whatever you like to call it. It's so booooring! I want to get active outside now that we have nice weather. I have so much that I can do on my property including getting rid of 2 fallen trees. I was going to hire someone to do it for me, and stressing about the money, but after reading your post it clicked. I can do it myself and it will benefit me in more ways than one.

I'm afraid of chainsaws thought. Lol
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 17:56

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

I eat less when I exercise. Helps me deal with stress!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 07:37

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks everyone for sharing!

I am certainly envious of those where exercise acts as an appetite suppressant! Lucky you
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

[QUOTE

I do exercise now becasue I think it's good to move, and stretch, and I miss my muscles of my youth... as far as helping to lose weight... not sure.

Have a great Sunday!
jams[/QUOTE]

So what weighs more Fat or Muscle? More muscle burns more fat -fact
Atkins says you will start to be more active naturally once you feel better, he also says to eat when you're hungry... I know I would rather muscle than fat...