Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-14, 10:06

Plan: Ketosis / low carb
Stats: 235/160/160 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Will my muscles get bigger -- I'm low carb, low calorie?

My goal is a complete body transformation. I know very little about health, and when I started a diet I only considered few things: Is it low on carbs/sugar? Do I like the taste/eating it on a daily basis? That's kinda my major rule of thumb right now.

I just finished my 2nd weight training workout ever. After my second session I feel GREAT.. a little sore/achy/tender but not in pain and I have lot of energy.

I've read you have to give your body enough fuel to see results... so..

And since I can't afford a fitness trainer, I'd like someone to look over my plan, and tell me if I'm probably going to gain muscle this way?

My diet mostly consist of things I enjoy, but isn't too high on sugar/carbs... such as vegetables (cucumbers, kayle, spinach, turnip greens, tomatoes, avocados), meat (chicken, beef, sausage, bacon), cheese/cream cheese and eggs, and sometimes lowest carb yogurt I can find, and I'll wrap my meat in a low carb torilla. I drink mostly water, coffe (with sugarfree creamer) and unsweetened almond milk to make shakes with, and for supplements I take whey protein shortly before my workouts. Sometimes, but not often, I'll have a low-carb fruit like raspberries or strawberries. I try to make my meals small and spread them out... 3-6 meals a day. I use LARD to cook with. Condiments include mustard, chili powder, hot sauce, anything that's low on carb is acceptable.

My weekly routine will be to weight lift either 3 times a week or every other day.. depending on how my muscle feels. During a typical gym visit, I do two sets of 15 reps on each machine, working all my muscle groups. Before I get started, I do 10 minutes of cardio. On off days I will sometimes do fat burning/cardio on the elliptical, step climber, exercise bike, and treadmill.

I definitely have enough energy so far, and I'm losing weight.. but will I see muscle results?

I'm very active throughout the day, and I imagine my calories/carb intake is not that high.. (though technically I don't count it, I just eat when I start to get hungry or after too much time has lapsed) I'm hoping since I am overweight, that my body will use some of my fat as fuel as well, to help with muscle recovery/growth? Not sure if it works that way.

Thank you for any feedback, criticism, or advice you can give me. I would love to stay on my current diet, because it tastes great, and I feel great.. but if I can't transform my body I'll have to look into changing my foods again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 06:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/245/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I am not an expert, but most of what I have read would say that sets of 15 are not ideal for building muscle size or strength. The lower the rep count, the more strength building the exercise will be and a mid rep count between 6 and 12 is supposed to encourage muscle growth.

As a beginner, you may be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Most long term weight lifters alternate between them.

Many people lift weights while eating low carb now.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 17:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Your program description sounds pretty good to me. There's no way to predict results however. You'll just have to see how it goes for you and revise accordingly.

I do question the "low calorie" part. You'll need to fuel those workouts with something--preferably protein and fat. Figuring out your percentages is part of the experiment. Use a tracker. If moderate low-carb, consider 60-65% fat, 35-40% protein, 10% carbohydrate. if you feel hungry a lot, up the fat.

Low-carb and weight training work well together, as long as you get the fuel from fat. That might mean higher calories.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 17:15

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

would you only gain muscle if you eat at a surplus? If you are still in a deficit then the muscle you will see is what you currently have but is now visible from losing the fat via weightloss. Still learning myself so not sure.