Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Pre Maint
Stats: 232/181.9/175 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Stores ready cooked chickens.

Hi all
Having trouble finding the carbs and other info on the ready cooked chickens at the main supermarkets. Morrisons 5 for £1.50 thighs and drumsticks have been a mainstay of my woe, Tesco hot and spicy now and again (not so sure about these).
The reason I ask is that went into Sainsburys yesterday had what they said was a plain whole chicken (all they had left,wanted the garlic and herb) and either my taste buds have totaly changed or it was loaded with sugar?

Hopefully someone can help me out? ....Please

All the best Martin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 17:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 411/347/170 Female 5.9
BF:
Progress: 27%

Yeah the coating they use on the cooked chickens does contain sugar - it's like almost all the marinades (even the dry ones) that you buy from the supermarket - the second ingredient is almost always sugar. That's what gives it a BBQ carmalised taste. I love chicken wings, especially the seriously burned ones from morrisons, but I know they have sugar on them, but I don't have them that often so I don't have a problem with them stalling me or anything like that. The only way you can be sure that it's sugar free is to make it yourself, which is easier said than done when you can buy it already cooked and ready to eat from the supermarket.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 17:43
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Nanefy

Yeh 100% agree with you on the BBQ flavour wouldn't dare touch em (miss them so much..sigh) but I am fairly sure that the drumsticks and thighs at morrisons are very low.
As for the cooking them at home do that as well its just that im a builder and I do tend to find they make a good hot lunch on the go.

Good talking with you Martin.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 18:02

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Here in the US I found out that grocery store roasted and rotisseried chickens are brined in sugar and salt, then also injected with a solution of modified food starch (probably corn starch). They cause me to stall, so I don't eat them anymore.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-10, 10:28

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woeisme
Hi all
Having trouble finding the carbs and other info on the ready cooked chickens at the main supermarkets. Morrisons 5 for £1.50 thighs and drumsticks have been a mainstay of my woe, Tesco hot and spicy now and again (not so sure about these).
The reason I ask is that went into Sainsburys yesterday had what they said was a plain whole chicken (all they had left,wanted the garlic and herb) and either my taste buds have totaly changed or it was loaded with sugar?

Hopefully someone can help me out? ....Please

All the best Martin
Does it not have a label with nutrition info and ingredients list so you can see if they have used sugar in the processing?
The only ready cooked chicken I have as a custom food on my fitday account lists per 100 gram has 12.5g fat, 0g carbs and 27.1 g protein. It is from Lidl and was chicken thighs with the skin on.

Last edited by Elizellen : Thu, Sep-02-10 at 10:34.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-10, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Does it not have a label with nutrition info and ingredients list so you can see if they have used sugar in the processing?
The only ready cooked chicken I have as a custom food on my fitday account lists per 100 gram has 12.5g fat, 0g carbs and 27.1 g protein. It is from Lidl and was chicken thighs with the skin on.

No i'm on about the hot chickens at the deli counter.

Do eat the tescos thighs and drumsticks (pe-packed) although they are I think 0.3 per 100 grams.

It cant be that much of a trade secret...can it??
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 04:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woeisme
No i'm on about the hot chickens at the deli counter.

Do eat the tescos thighs and drumsticks (pe-packed) although they are I think 0.3 per 100 grams.

It cant be that much of a trade secret...can it??

I am sure that all they do is open a box of ready prepared chickens and put them in the rotisserie to cook, so it might be worth asking to see the package that they take them out of.
If they start with untreated raw chicken they ought to be able to tell you the ingredients of any marinades and rubs they coat them with.
I have had success in persuading serving staff at deli counters letting me read their label info. Just tell them you have some food intolerances and might be made ill if there are any ingredients that affect you.
I also say that I log my food intake to keep an eye on my nutrients so need to know the numbers from the nutrition panel. So far the only reaction I have had is one of interest rather than non co-operation.

Last edited by Elizellen : Fri, Sep-03-10 at 04:13.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 04:16

BF:

If the staff in the branch are not willing/able to give you the information you need then contact the head office customer service department. Many companies have an online form you can send them a question on if the branch resists giving you a phone number.