Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default Severe Obesity Rates Surging In Rural America

"No matter where people live, the key to preventing and reducing obesity comes down to healthy eating and regular exercise, said Ashlesha Datar, a researcher at the University of Southern California..."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-idUSKBN1JF2ID
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 09:55

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I agree with her about healthy eating, but I doubt she was thinking of low carb.

But she didn't mention the role poverty has in obesity. Many of us in rural areas get food from food banks & also have EBT cards. You can buy a lot more food if you're eating cheap foods such as macaroni, rice, potatoes, bread, & so on. And if both parents are working, convenience foods play a big part in the diet because no one has the time to cook from scratch.

When I get our boxes of food from Rural Resources, I keep the cans of tuna & chicken, the cartons of milk, and anything else they put in the box that's healthy. I also keep the macaroni, rice, breakfast cereal & bread, but I feed it to the chickens. The fruit juice (2 gallons/month!) & canned fruit & vegetables get re-donated to the food bank.

I have a garden, but it takes time to grow & process home-grown vegetables. Many people I know haven't the time or energy (many are my age or older) to do that.

I think it's telling that for a small town like ours (5k in town, about the same number in the surrounding area), there are multiple fast food places, including about 5 pizza places. And like so much of the US, people are eating & drinking almost constantly during the day. I'm always amazed by the amount of food at our Franciscan gatherings. We meet at 9 & there is food. An hour & a half later we break for an early lunch. Then at the end of the meeting people are eating more - I suppose so they don't faint from hunger on the way home. I've sometimes mentioned that our founder, St. Francis, didn't eat like we do. No one seems to get it.

My fellow diabetics eat tons of carby foods & cover with meds or insulin. One lady I talked with said she didn't eat carbs, but I think she was thinking of sugar & candy - her plate was loaded with pastries.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 15:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

In my experience, food banks have low quality foods. I have needed to acces a number in a wide area around me. The best was run out of the basement of a church. 90% was fresh produce, or was compared to the canned goods. Usually even that was marginal, and even moldy at times. Certainly limp, etc. But it was fresh.

It is sad that people do not garden as much as they used to.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 15:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
In my experience, food banks have low quality foods. I have needed to acces a number in a wide area around me. The best was run out of the basement of a church. 90% was fresh produce, or was compared to the canned goods. Usually even that was marginal, and even moldy at times. Certainly limp, etc. But it was fresh.

Our food bank has outdated but still sort-of fresh vegetables & fruit whenever the stores donate it. Instead of doling it out inside, they put it outside & anyone can come & get some. As far as freshness goes, it's a crap shoot, but it's better than dumpster diving.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 07:52

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I’m guessing that food banks operating out of, say, churches dispense what they get from random donations. Canned veggies, tuna, Mac and cheese, rice, and other boxed carbs. Not much to choose from, and spotty at that.

A local Catholic Worker House we support obtains food for its meal programs from local grocery store discards mostly. They work at sourcing, and have excellent contacts. It takes special handling: large fridge and freezer storage for one thing, also achieved by scrounging. They do receive an astonishing supply of wonderful food, including fruits and vegetables, but it takes labor to store and process it without waste. They give away great quantities to the neighborhood (bread especially) and make creative plans for cooking: soups, casseroles, salads, etc. And they have chickens. Chickens eat everything!! The eggs taste good, too.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 08:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Chickens eat everything!! The eggs taste good, too.

I love chickens for that - they're almost as good of garbage disposals as pigs.

One time a garlic grower gave me a huge bucket of scapes. We ate some, but there was way too much to eat. So I gave them to the chickens. The coop smelled heavenly of garlic for days!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 09:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I’m guessing that food banks operating out of, say, churches dispense what they get from random donations. Canned veggies, tuna, Mac and cheese, rice, and other boxed carbs. Not much to choose from, and spotty at that.

A local Catholic Worker House we support obtains food for its meal programs from local grocery store discards mostly. They work at sourcing, and have excellent contacts. It takes special handling: large fridge and freezer storage for one thing, also achieved by scrounging. They do receive an astonishing supply of wonderful food, including fruits and vegetables, but it takes labor to store and process it without waste. They give away great quantities to the neighborhood (bread especially) and make creative plans for cooking: soups, casseroles, salads, etc. And they have chickens. Chickens eat everything!! The eggs taste good, too.

Barbara , the BEST one was the church, as the ladies running it reached out to local grocery stores to get their "left overs" , the stuff that wont sell next to the fresher, newly arrived produce. They got tired of makeing the food runs.

When I talked to a local grocery in hopes of getting those items directly, I was told they send it all to the nearest city for that food bank.30 minutes away, when there are plenty of people with in 10 minutes.....