Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 23:12

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Signed as soon as I saw Janet's post.

Prof Noakes' Banting programme is how I got started with LCHF. Without him, I would be as fat and as sick as I ever was, assuming I'd still be alive at all. I owe him so much.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 00:32
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Another petition at Change.org

Sarah HALLBERG needs your help with “Health Professions Council of South Africa: Support Dr. Tim Noakes”.

Support the science in the hearing of Professor Tim Noakes

https://www.change.org/p/health-pro...t-dr-tim-noakes

That's absolutely ridiculous! They're appealing their own decision? Everyday there's more coming out, including Virta studies.

I signed it but what does it do exactly? I ask because I really don't know. I can see it as a good way of getting the word out, of course. But, does it influence anything else? Are signatories considered legitimate witnesses?
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 04:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another wild update from Foodmed about why and how the HPSCA can appeal their own decision. The Noakes team is finally counter-suing for harassment and costs.
http://foodmed.net/2018/02/noakes-h...etitians-setup/

This petition has an impressive international group of main signatories from various health fields, more added signatures just give it more weight and press (world media is watching) but it is not like they didn’t have the Science and Media watching at the last trial!
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 05:49

Leave it to Tom Naughton to "tell it like it is" in a post to the dietitians of South Africa. Can’t put the title here, but if you need a laugh over how crazzzyyyy this group is acting...
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....oles-right-now/

And more from Marika on the craziness at the HPCSA http://foodmed.net/2018/02/noakes-h...tition-doctors/

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-20-18 at 11:20.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 06:42

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Leave it to Tom Naughton to "tell it like it is" in a post to the dietitians of South Africa. Can’t put the title here, but if you need a laugh over how crazzzyyyy this group is acting...
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....oles-right-now/

Great post by Tom Naughton.

Jean
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 13:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ridicule of these silly and damaging actions may be the only way to get the attention of the HPCSA, as losing all credibility, in case they still have some. takes away the only reason for its existence.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-18, 04:19

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

A thought just occurred to me a few minutes after I woke up.

Would an employee take this crap in the private sector? Would his union?

Consider a run-of-the-mill complaint about an employee in the private sector from a customer or from another employee. There would be mediation, Laws and contract clauses would be cited, due process and so forth, corrections and/or sanctions would be applied. To the satisfaction of all involved.

Now think of the various professional associations as unions. When did a union ever go after one of its members like this for any reason? There's a thing with unions we don't find in professional associations - competition from other unions. There's only one PA for docs. This competition means trying to provide better - not worse - service to its members. Competition means a protocol of inclusion, not of exclusion. It means standards for all members regardless of various specifics like skin color for example. See where I'm going with this? Well, let me be crystal clear.

The only solution here is to allow competition for professional associations. This way, the really bad apples won't get members. I mean, if I was a doc and I had a choice, I certainly wouldn't choose an association that persecutes its members, would I now.

Ah, but a professional association isn't a union, it's a ruling body that self-regulates the profession. Ya, that's a problem, there's no way to ensure a neutral outcome because there's only one entity deciding anything. No oversight. So the second part of this solution is to establish an independent ruling body without a horse in the race. This ruling body cannot be a professional association, is what I'm saying.

But then we're left with customers - patients in this case - without any solid means for reparations as the case may be. The professional association advocates exclusively for its members, just like any other union. The ruling body is neutral, no soup for patients. So the final part of this solution is to establish a patient advocacy group, but instead of being monolithic like it is now with PA's, make it like unions so that patients also have a choice, just like docs would have a choice. Here, competition means patients get the best too. Oh but we already have this - lawyers. Ya, like that's going to do any good for Noakes (and Fettke and all the others would are also persecuted) - and his patients which likely genuinely benefit from Naokes' own professional misconduct.

Imagine, a low-carb doctors professional association that acts independently from the industry-driven BS we have now.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-18, 06:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Imagine, a low-carb doctors professional association that acts independently from the industry-driven BS we have now.

We might see one. Because the American Medical Association started as a professional organization to combat con artists, and now they are part of the problem.
  #84   ^
Old Fri, May-04-18, 13:56

BF:

So as I recall, the appeal verdict was due by the end of March, and yet here we are in May with no verdict. I wonder what's going on with this behind closed doors...?
  #85   ^
Old Fri, May-11-18, 14:57

BF:

Apparently a verdict is set to be announced within the next 24 hours...

http://thenoakesfoundation.org/news/blog/imwithtim
  #86   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 01:50

BF:

Further update: verdict delayed again, now due after the weekend, apparently. They sure know how to keep a guy in suspense!
  #87   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 08:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Fascinating about what could possibly delay a verdict on a trial that has had so much discussion on what are and what are not healthy nutritional practices. Possibly ginning up a backroom deal to assuage those who the verdict goes against?
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 11:20

Sanity Prevails, this just in:

https://www.scribd.com/document/381341405/Tim-Noakes

“Wherefore, it is the unanimous decision of the members of the appeal committee that the appeal be dismissed. It is so ordered.”

From Tom Naughton: Professor Noakes, you are a hero. Like most true heroes, you didn’t set out to become one. You were thrust into circumstances that would have crushed the spirit of an ordinary man. You could have avoided years of stress by simply agreeing to walk away quietly, but you chose to fight — for yourself, yes, but also for everyone else at risk of being targeted by The Anointed for daring to say their advice is wrong.
To paraphrase a line from ‘A Few Good Men’: they ~#$%ed with the wrong marine.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. And thank you.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 11:57

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well said Janet!!
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 12:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Finally! Time Noakes ought to be compensated for all he has been put through.