Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 21:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 185/180/160 Male 73
BF:
Progress:
Default Toning/weightlifting on lowcarb/highprotein

Im 6'1, started at 180, and for the past couple weeks i've been eating just meat, tuna, eggs/cheese, protein shakes, and protein bars.

Right now im at 178 and 16% bf, i'm trying to get down to about 170, but with a lot of fat loss and i wouldnt mind some muscle gain.

I'm taking in about 150 g of protein daily, but now that i've looked more into this low-carb business, i want to also keep carbs low. I've pretty much been inadvertantly keeping carbs low in my protein diet, but i can keep them lower! (if it will burn the fat!). Is there a magic number that i should stay under for sugar carbs? Am i right that for fat-loss purposes the sugar carbs are the only ones that are important to count? I've basiclaly been keeping my carb intake like 100 carbs, i know that won't get me into ketosis, so what number does!! =).

Also, another question out to the builders, what low-carb strong-tasting drink can drown out the HORRIBLE taste of whey protein? All juices i see are like 15-20 sugar carbs per cup!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 10:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome!

Step one is to read the book. Your current plan isn't too healthy - you need vegetables. I'm a little confused: you say you've just been eating tuna, cheese, etc, so that's almost zero carbs. But you also say you've been eating 100 g of carbs per day. Where's the 100 g coming from? Just curious. Is it in the protein bars? Stay away from those: they're NOT low carb.

Protein Power recommends 30-40 g of carbs initially, and it increases later. Atkins starts with 20. There's no reason to go any lower than that - the vegetables are a must.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Aug-17-03 at 10:38.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 21:44

Plan: The Fat Burning Diet
Stats: 166/159/141 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 28%
Talking To: h2oobwj

Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that I am using Horleys Whey Protein (Chocolate) and it tastes unreal, I love it I also mix in 2 teaspoons of flaxseed oil, this makes it even better Give it a try and you will see that it is really the best tasting protein shake on the market and it only has 2gms of carbs, so give it shot The other protein shakes I have tried are just horrid and besides they are full of carbs and sugar

Best of luck with your journey, keep in touch
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 18:36

Plan: lC/pp
Stats: 250/215/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:50/37/20
Progress: 32%

Which is best Soy Protein or Whey Protein? I use the Soy (I didn't like the taste of the Whey). I'm down 31 lbs in 47 days from using the Soy protein and keeping Carbs right at 50 (give or take a few).