Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-18, 22:28

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Macaroni & Cheese - without macaroni

A bit of back story - My mother made a really good baked macaroni & cheese. Comfort food for a family of cheese lovers. Some 40-odd years ago I met the man whom I would eventually marry; a great guy in many respects, well worth marrying (and it has lasted these 40-odd years), but ... he doesn't like cheese ... never has, never will. For many years I would periodically make a big batch of macaroni & cheese for me, and what we fondly call macaroni without cheese for him, a macaroni casserole with veggies, held together with an egg/milk custard. Awhile ago he went off on his own for a couple of weeks (an art workshop, which didn't interest me), and said, laughing, that I could have as much macaroni & cheese as I wanted while he was away. When I reminded him that I don't eat macaroni anymore he blithely said "well, if you can make macaroni & cheese without cheese, surely you can make it without macaroni". A bit of internet research showed that, indeed, I could.
I based it on the following recipe, but left the cauliflower florets whole (but small), and made sure they weren't too soft. I have used various cheeses; this evening I added in some herbed Boursin which was in the fridge. Cream cheese of some sort seems to be necessary for the creamy aspect. Bacon is good, but this evening I tossed in some slices of Andouille sausage instead. I didn't this evening, but some buttered nut crumbs scattered over the top would add a nice crunch. I find this hits all the right notes for this particular macaroni & cheese lover.
This reheats nicely. I usually make enough of this (and the cheeseless macaroni) to last us for a couple of dinners, and then we are good for another 6 months or so. But sometimes I just want something creamy & cheesy, and this hits the spot.
https://kalynskitchen.com/twice-bak...iflower-recipe/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-18, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Being a single person (for now), I make a large dish of this and freeze individual portions.

But defrosted portions are soggy UNLESS cauliflower was prepared as follows: Cook florets, drain, put in dehydrator for three hours on 135F degrees, place in food processor and produce macaroni-sized pieces. Then proceed with the recipe.

Cauliflower holds a lot of water, but this takes care of the problem.

I use a large lasagna pan (13 x 9 inches).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-18, 22:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Good idea about the dehydrator, Pollyanna. It does tend to lose a lot of liquid if not drained very thoroughly.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 08:28

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

Thanks for the link for mac and cheese, just what I feel like this week sometime
there's lots of delicious looking bakes on that site - I've bookmarked it, thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 09:56

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

This sounds good. I found this website and never knew you could microwave cauliflower, This way there isn't water in the cauliflower from boiling. https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ch...nd-gluten-free/
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 12:32

Stats: 165/163/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincin11
This sounds good. I found this website and never knew you could microwave cauliflower, This way there isn't water in the cauliflower from boiling. https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ch...nd-gluten-free/

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 16:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've always made Cauliflower l like this, it's so good and you can use any type of cheese. I prefer parmesan but I've done it with swiss and other white cheeses too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 09:03

Stats: 165/163/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I've always made Cauliflower l like this, it's so good and you can use any type of cheese. I prefer parmesan but I've done it with swiss and other white cheeses too.

This is all making me hungry and it is only 10am where I am lol.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 19:53

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

I made this last night and it was yyuuuuuummmmyyyy! Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 20:33

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

This sounds so much easier than trying to make a cheese sauce. Definitely going to give this a try.