Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 19:53

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Well, I ended up being stuck with that 40 lb loss (165 lbs) for 2 years. So I finally woke up that I had to reduce the fat intake as it was too high in calories...and so I dropped calorie intake while staying low carb, and also took up weight lifting... between the two I got rid of the next lot of weight and am finally at goal, and have stayed there for over a year.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 23:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175.2/172.4/130 Female 5'8"
BF:30.6/30.6/20
Progress: 6%

TOM- is Time of month

Hey Val, I have just read all your post and i have to say that you have so much wisdom and spunk and I LOVED reading what you had to say. You really know your stuff!
I have to say that I came here because I am on Atkins induction plan and have had a hard time losing weight. About 6 years ago I did atkins and lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks. I was in my late 20's then and really working out. So this time I thought it would be the same. ummm not so much. I'm working out ALL the time and in ketosis so I can't understand why the pounds aren't melting off. Well, after reading your posts from 2003 I understand a little bit more now. I was weighing myself 3 or 4 times a day and each time the scale would go up and I would get so frustrated. Well today is day 3 of NO SCALE!!! I've put it up and refuse to weigh myself daily. I will pull it out again in a week or two just to check, but I'm not going to obsess about it anymore. I workout daily and I eat pretty good (I'm now going to look into upping my calories a bit. And see where that takes me.)
I'm frustrated because my hubby announced last Sunday that he was taking me to Hawaii for our anniversary on Jan 11th. That doesn't give me enough time to be sports illustrated hot but maybe I will be down a couple of pounds and feeling better about myself.
Thanks so much for your wise words. You have no idea how many people you reach!
Amy
P.s. Good luck to those of you on the FF! You can do it!!!
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 20:55

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Interesting take on the fat fast...
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 21:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/134.5/130 Female 164 CM
BF:
Progress: 44%

Serena- I can't eat that much without gaining, which is why I don't do it ever.
I'm interested in your experience too because I'm really in a similar position.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 13:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/262/160 Female 5"7'
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi! I hope I'm not barging in and acting like a heathen by just posting. And, in a relatively inactive thread, too.
But, it's what I've been looking for and one of the reasons I joined: looking for Fat Fast Facts and Recipes, aka, what equals a meal.

I'm so incredibly resistant that even though I am in ketosis, drink lots of water, have been on induction phase for 2 months, I have lost 8 lbs. I know not to weigh all the time. I weigh every other Tuesday. I'm not going to get too down about it because I have another option to see if I'm changing for the better. I bought a $10 pair of pants at WalMart and boy they were way too little for me. I put them up and just the other day I was depressed about the scale, so I tried on the pants. They slipped on easy enough then I had them about thigh level, I hitched them on up and the seat was a little baggy. I sucked it in a little bit and buttoned them. The zipper zipped with only a small adjustment over the biggest portion of my lower abs. Well, how 'bout that! So, take that you darn scale. Loose(r) pants don't lie like you do!

So, today, while my husband is working overtime and might as well be on a trip for the next 9 days, I'm going to do the Fat Fast. I guess I'll have to use the scales for that, but it only means I'll weigh a Tuesday early. Y'all wish me well and success with this venture. I need a shot of good news as being Resistant isn't any fun. It's has been my failure and the bane of my existance since I was in my teens.

DawgieDamsel
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 18:03

Stats: 171/163/143 Female 172
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

I'm new but just wanted to say Atkins advocates never going below 1500 calories because you will go into startvation and your body will grab onto fat which is the last thing you want to happen - that is a fact of biology.

Also you should never do the Fat Fast unless your weight has stalled beyond one MONTH and you have been eating completely clean (ie observing the Rules of Induction of whatever rung you are on and not overindulging in the food limits set out in the original diet).

I am Insulin Resistant and have been chatting to Jacqueline Eberstein who workled with Dr Atkins for 30 years, has been an Atkins for Lifer since the 1970s and is an Atkins advisor to thousands, here is what she said to me:

"I do recommend the following:

Please read Dr. Atkins book cover to cover for all of the info that can help you to succeed and learn things that can interfere with weightloss.

Do a strict induction level being sure to read labels on any processed foods as carbs can be hidden in many foods.

Weigh only once a week and take measurements every 2 weeks.

Keep in mind that weight can fluctuate because of salt intake and fluid shifts in the body. One can gain from time to time but if you're doing the plan correctly an increase is not fat but fluid or muscle. As soon as you add any sources of sugar you will immediately retain more water and see a scale increase.

After any deviations it can take up to 4 days to begin to burn fat. Insulin levels go up after a carb intake and make take a bit to normalize again.

This is a lifestyle change and it is helpful to take the long view not day to day. Depending upon the amount of excess weight and genetics and how the weight has upset your metabolism it can take time for the body to normalize. It doesn't happen overnight.

With PCOS you do not need to have all of the symptoms. It is an insulin resistance syndrome and very low carb is the best way to handle the hormonal imbalances.

When you have IR even small amounts of the wrong foods matter and even when you are at your goal you will need to be very careful determining maintenance. You will probably need to stricter than someone without PCOS and IR.

What is your goal in both weight and size? What size are you now? Size and inch loss is more important than weight loss. Keep in mind that birth control pills can increase IR and slow weight loss. That has to figure into your situation as well as your age when hormonal imbalances show up anyway and IR usually gets worse as women transition into menopause.

Don’t weigh yourself more than once a week and if the scale suddenly goes up and you have been on the plan it’s only water gain. Progress isn’t nice and steady-there are fits and starts.

Think of this as a long-term process as you have to still do some level of low carb to maintain. Also remember that this is as young as you will ever be, so take advantage of that rather than giving up and having to begin again in the future."

Hope this helps...

Singadiva
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 18:09

Stats: 171/163/143 Female 172
BF:
Progress:

....I also meant to add that you should only do the Fat Fast if you have NOT lost ANY weight doing Induction correctly. If you have lost some weight, then clearly you can lose weight.

If you then stall for more than a month and are still eating clean, check with your doctor that you are not Insulin Resistant before doing anything else.

The diet was designed to work and those of us with metabolic disorders will find that much more difficult but Atkins was unequivocal about a slower weightloss being MORE beneficial in the longterm.

I am trying to find out more info about this 12-15 veg carbs on Induction - I was sure this wasn't part of Atkins original diet but added in by the Atkins Nutritional Foundation, which changed the diet after Atkins death. The reason is, I am wondering if IR/MS people should actually be the ones eating lower than 12-15 veg carbs....

Singadiva
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 10:44

Stats: 160/160/100 Female 5.1"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Fat fast

I've been doing a very strict induction for 3 months and not seen any weight loss at all. In fact I have gained 3 kilos. I have been exercising so it is possible that I've been changing my body fat to muscle ratio. I'm drinking 8-10 large glasses of water per day and keeping my carbs well under 20g. My fitday account is public so anyone can check this out. After 3 months of no weight loss at all I've decided I must be metabolically resistant and it's time to try the fat fast. I know its dangerous for people who are not resistant but I most certainly am or I would have at least lost SOMETHING in 3 months of induction. So the first few days I was not able to cope on just 1000 calories even with my fat level at 85% so I had to settle for 2000 calories per day. After 2 days of this I was able to manage one day on 1000 calories. Today is day 4 and I'm already up to 1550 calories and my stomach is growling for food. I feel lighter and thinner and in so many ways better than I've felt in years. It's as if I've been just eating too much food these past years, just stuffing my face and abusing food and my body and thats why I put on weight, it was inevitable. The fat fast is hard to do but I'm striving for progress rather than perfection. I have to keep my energy levels up and if that means eating more calories then too bad, thats what my body needs, thats what I'm doing! I just wanted to share that this is the first glimmer of hope I've had in 3 months on this woe and I'm so happy now. Going back on Induction tomorrow is going to be heavenly. I'm in ketosis and I've seen some progress so my motivation is bolstered. Does anyone know exactly what the danger is about the fat fast / kekwick diet specifically? I have a rash on my face today and I've never had one before so I was wondering if the two things were connected. Thanks peeps!
XXX
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-11, 03:09

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 177/175/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:

If you're still struggling: Please read Gary Taubes's book Why we get fat and whst to do about it." This is an old discussion thread, but maybe this will help others in a similar state.