Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:37

Plan: Atkin's,fat flush
Stats: 225/170/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Ottawa area LCers

Any low carbers in the Ottawa area?
Perhaps we can share finds and suggestions in the area.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%

I'm here!!! I know there are a few more from the area around as well. Always up for meeting new people who understand low carbing.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:21

Plan: Atkin's,fat flush
Stats: 225/170/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 61%

Wow you are doing really well on your plan!!! You look great!!!
I just started today, any advice or low carb finds that you have found in our area wouldbe greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cinner
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%

Cinner,

I don't use a lot of low carb specialty items (mostly due to cost and how I react to them). The main things I use are protein powder and la tortilla low carb tortillas (my hubby can't seem to get by without them). The lc tortillas were off our menu for awhile, but now there are a couple of places to get them online within Canada, so I do that. If you want protein bars or lc chocolate bars (they make me stall and/or crave if I eat them often) you can find them at GNC, Nature's Own and Nutrition House. I love lc chocolate but due to the price and resulting bathroom difficulties, rarely indulge. Pork rinds are at Zellers or Loblaws (some Loblaws anyway). Oh and if you're lucky you can find diet orange crush and diet cream soda (made with splenda instead of aspartame) at some Loeb stores. And on very special occasions I buy no sugar added ice cream at Loblaws (Legend - is that Nestle? not sure) but they have one called chocolate dream or something like that... a little carby, but kills the craving.

If there is anything in particular you are trying to find around here, let me know and I might have ideas. The best plan (especially starting out), is to stick to foods that are the least processed possible (meat and veggies) and get the cravings out of your system.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default low-carb in Ottawa

Hi! Hope you are doing well. Wanted to let you know you can order within Canada from http://www.lowcarb.ca or thegym.safeshopper.com and you can buy the bars, bake mix, etc. (the more popular products) at NATURE'S CARE HEALTH PRODUCTS (210 BANK STREET) or BETTER YET (less expensive, more choice) at GRANNY'S NAT. FD. EMPORIUM in Kanata.
If you tell me what product you are looking for I might be able to help you. I ordered a TON of stuff from Atkins a while ago and since I'll be ordering again I might be able to spare some until I do...I ordered a lot to save on shipping. If I don't have it I can probably find it.
Best of luck
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian Protein Power
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi there!!

Just started a psudeo-modified low carb diet and am still very new at finding places to shop with a good selection of low-carb stuff. I`ll definately check out Nature`s Care (thnx for the tip). I don`t eat any meats beyond seafood, so if anyone has any hints of things to grab out & about (or hears of a good deal at Lapointes! ) I`d love to find out more.

Warm regards,

Ella Mae
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 16:45

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Also in Ottawa...I have found some Atkins stuff in some of the health food stores here. I have visited a couple of "Kardish" stores.....the one in Bells Corners carries the bake mix, sf raspberry syrup and bars of course....bars also availabe at Shopper's Drug Mart.

Another Kardish (bank st. south??) had more of the atkins chocolates, pb cups and brownies.

I found a health food store on Greenbank (I'm in the west end) which carries (frozen) low carb bread! Altho i am not "there" yet, I was excited to find this for future use. It is expensive (about $6 per loaf) but only 3 net carbs per slice. Will try it at least.....I was thinking of calling Trillium Bakery to see if they did any lo carb stuff.

Also wrote to Keto foods of Canada...who said some of their products were carried at Natural Food Pantry, 126 York St. 613-241-6629 and Rainbow Foods, 1487 Richmond St., 613-726-9200....have not had a chance to check ou their stock yet.

Where is Granny's Emporium in Kanata....what do they carry? What have you tried?

Any information is greatly appreciated!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 16:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi folks,

I'm in Ottawa too.

There's a tiny health store in the Merivale mall that started to stock a few LC items, but their focus so far has been on bars, but 7 brands of them. They also started carrying Whey Gourmet protein powder.

Remember, if you have any finds, please list them on our yellow pages, so others in the area can find them too:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tool...l_shopping.html

Wa'il
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Nutrition House has always had a decent selection of low-carb protein shake mixes, including Designer, SISU, Whey Gourmet and Interactive (which is made in Ottawa, by the way ). The N/H stores in the Kingston area have started carrying Atkins bars .. and EAS Carb Control bars as well. Plus Carbolite candy. I spoke to the manager of one, and she's considering carrying LC cereals, pasta and bake mix. Hasn't happened yet though but I think if we keep asking the stores will pay attention and carry the products. So speak up

Loblaws Superstore, in their health food section, carries a decent selection of protein shakes and more recently I noticed a display of Atkins Advantage and Morning Start bars.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 10:32
Registered Member

BF:
Default more on Granny's for Ottawa area LCers

Froufie and anyone else looking, Granny's is....
GRANNY'S NAT. FD. EMPORIUM
300 EAGLESON RD
HAZELDEAN MALL, KA K2M 1C9
Since I don't know what you are looking for, i'll just give you the phone number. It's 613-592-4558.
Hope this helps :-)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:

Kardish...of course! I wandered down Bank today and made it as far as Wild Oat looking for low-carb stuff before turning around and strolling home. If only I'd gone one more block....thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out this week and let you all know what their selection is like.

Ella Mae
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 13:42
Registered Member

BF:

If anyone is near the Sandy Hill area and wants an exercise buddy for encouragement, let me know. Thanks :-)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I`m a Glebe-ite but I work downtown & am in the market area more often then not. I`m trying to get back in the habit of running again along the canal or riverways and would love a running buddy...
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:07
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

Granny's in the Hazeldean mall also had Keto Ketchup, though I bought the last bottle of their last order
There is also a natural food store on Hazeldean just up the road from the mall, (same spot of M&M) that has LC bread, Stevia, and was trying to bring in a bunch of Keto products last I was in, haven't checked back in for a while.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:
Default Running? WOW!

hmmm. I think running is a little ambitious for me since I just quit smoking in November and my lungs haven't quite forgiven me yet. If you are up for long walks and maybe taking some pilates, tai chi, yoga or the like let me know. Thanks :-)