Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-16, 12:20

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Need to take antibiotics - advice?

I have to take doxycycline for a while for a skin condition on my face. The condition can be quite disfiguring and the antibiotic is supposed to be pretty effective for it, so I didn't want to try to wrangle an alternative. I'm aware of the disruption of gut bacteria and the possibility of diarrhea and nausea and I did read the tips page. Any additional tips or strategies for minimizing side effects would be appreciated. I have already tightened way up on the carbs. Thanx in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-16, 12:53

Plan: LcHf-Dr Westmann (+or-)
Stats: 134/124/114 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Smile antibiotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
I have to take doxycycline for a while for a skin condition on my face. The condition can be quite disfiguring and the antibiotic is supposed to be pretty effective for it, so I didn't want to try to wrangle an alternative. I'm aware of the disruption of gut bacteria and the possibility of diarrhea and nausea and I did read the tips page. Any additional tips or strategies for minimizing side effects would be appreciated. I have already tightened way up on the carbs. Thanx in advance!

Hi Mice,
Ask your Dr if you can take a "probiotic"...during my course of antibiotics I remained "LcHf" and remained in ketosis.
Good Luck, Linia
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-16, 13:11

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I would add probiotics and prebiotics to your diet. When my son had his appendectomy I brought yogurt to the hospital for him to eat instead of the junk the dietitian wanted to feed him. Doctor said it was the best thing I could have done as they had to put him on heavy antibiotics. Think yogurt, kefir, fermented sauerkrout and pickles, kimchi, kombucha, miso, tempeh and raw cheese.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-16, 15:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ditto everything JAnn suggested. Years ago when I lived in Europe the doctor's instructions for taking antibiotics was to also add more yogurt, kefir etc for the course of prescription and weeks after. When back in the US, and I mentioned this to doctors they were clueless.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-16, 19:37

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks everybody! I'll try yogurt and probiotics for sure. I'm not sure what kefir is, I know it was all the rage some years ago. Would garlic supplementation help also?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-16, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No idea about the garlic. Kefir is like a drinkable yogurt, now in fruit flavors and sometimes lots of added sugar. But if plain, consider half the sugars from the milk will have been fermented away and is pretty low in carbs. Which reminds me, explore all the many "probiotic drinks" now available like Kombucha.
I recently noticed in Fresh Market (which is upscale but not a health store like Whole Foods) an entire separate refrigerator case labeled "Probiotic Drinks!" Many brands of Kombucha and kefir, but also some others that claimed to have millions of good bacteria in healthy juices and other drinks. Evidence that paleo/real food/etc continues to invade mainstream grocery. Kombucha and kefir are at Walmart.