Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/132/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Frustrated with LC & Eating Disorder has started up again...

I just don't know what to do! I've strugled with Bulima on & off since I was 14! I'm now 27! The past couple of years I've really had a good control over it! But I'm just so VERY frusturated! For 9 months I've been doing well! Falling off the LC wagon only twice! And both times going back on induction strickly for the full 2 weeks with NO result! I already restrict SO much that I truly can't restrict anything else! And as a result of restricting sooo much...I've started binging & purging again! ARG I'M SO ANGRY AND MAD AT MYSELF! I'm angry that I am a turtle and altough I'm happy for my friends that are loosing, I'm angry that I am not! That I eat better than they do and they've just passed me by! And I'm frustrated with myself for not sticking it out and for taking the easy road out! Funny I say easy road huh? Most people wouldn't think that an eating disorder is the easy way out!

I tell you though...before I started LC'ing I wasn't this obsessed with my weight anymore! I don't know what happend to make me so crazy about it again! It's affecting my life, my parenting, being as good of a wife as I could and just being me! I'm getting depressed and obesessed again!

I HAVE to beat this! I cannot do this again!

Well thanks so much for all of your support! I really think I just needed to get this out and vent! I don't want to worry friends and family AGAIN! They've been through this with me before and I don't want to do it to them again!

Thanks and I hope that you all are doing well and loosing lots of pounds & inches! I know it doesn't sound like it but I am HAPPY for those of you who are loosing!

;0)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 23:57

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi there,

Look I'm not a moderator or anything, some of the moderators have far more experience than me and may be able to give you some better help... but I read your post & felt for you so I'm here to offer encouragement

Is there someone you can talk to about slipping back into your old habits - a counsellor, bulimia support group or something? I've never been in your shoes so can't offer as much understanding and practical support as someone who has... but I do feel for you...

I was told once by a former anorexic that she now struggled to lose weight, because having been anorexic her body just said 'no' to losing weight, as a self-protection thing I guess. So maybe it is just slower for you because your body can't accept that low-carb is OK.

Anyways I hope you find some good support soon... maybe one of the moderators can help???

Good luck, hang in there!!!

Katt
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-03, 22:21

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

hey there,
i have been in your shoes. i was bullimic for 3 years but my mom found out and i knew i HAD to quit it. every once in a great while i succumb to purging, but i really try hard not too. it's really tough - i know. i think it's especially hard to wrap your mind around the fact that now on the lc diet you can eat high fat foods and stuff and for such a long time anything with more than 100 calories in it or ANY fat made me wanna puke. i really think it's a mind control thing more than an eating control thing. my advice to you is forgive yourself when you "mess up", but think of how much your family and loved ones mean to you when you start thinking about going back into the bullimic stage. my thoughts are with you.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 12:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

You might need to give your body time to heal. Time to trust that the food will come. This has happened to a lot of people who have been starving themselves or through long years of yo yo dieting.

Try to give yourself some time and just eat on program without weighing. Also, you migh be a carbohydrate addict and sensitive to all carbs . There's a test for that on the CAD forum here to see if you are.

But again, it sometimes takes time and patience to "normalize" and heal the body.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: 1/2/04
Stats: 294/289/165 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 4%

I agree with Zuleika. Extreme diets and bulemia will totally throw your body off. Our bodies will do whatever it takes to try to survive including living on a minuscule amount of calories. You are going to have to be patient to give your body a chance to reprogram itself. You are going to have to get your body out of starvation mode. I know that's scary because it requires that you eat more calories than you normally do. Try rotating between eating more on one day and less on others.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 11:40

Plan: Sugar Busters/Atkin's
Stats: 306/235/185 Female 5'6
BF:no clue
Progress: 59%

Mom2Haylee,
I wanted to tell you that your chemical imbalance may be triggering your bulimia. Especially during ovulation and PMS.. woah! Look out!
My best friend is doing very well on a drug called "effexor". She and her husband were having marital problems and she became very depressed/anxious. She never told the doc about her bulimia but he prescribed that drug for her depression. The side effect for her is her anxiety lessened and she "didn't feel like binging and purging anymore".
Maybe you could look into that? That is kind of a cool side effect to have and it might work for depression too! *hugs* Wen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 21:27

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWendy
She never told the doc about her bulimia but he prescribed that drug for her depression. The side effect for her is her anxiety lessened and she "didn't feel like binging and purging anymore".
Maybe you could look into that? That is kind of a cool side effect to have and it might work for depression too! *hugs* Wen

I learned in class ( I'm in nursing school) that one of the causes of bulimia is a seretonan imbalance. Maybe your MD could help you with a SSRI type drug to help you get it under control. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 14:25
Registered Member

Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%
Default hello..

You have a beautiful baby on your lap. You are too. I am the mom of a Haley also. What i wanted you to know is that it is ok for you to fall, because everyone here has. Just know you are doingthis for the health of it. I do see your weight looks good tho. It could be that your body is fixing itself and requires that extra right now. YOu may want to check out fidday.com and keep track of your calories.. I too was having trouble but was told to up my calories by almost twice and it worked for me. I had been eating only average 750 calories and after losing i had stalled for 3.5 weeks and that was because my body had gone into starvation mode. Could you tell me what it is you binge on. Maybe we could go from there?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 12:53

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Just a question, do you do a low fat low carb diet?