Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-18, 13:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Lasting for days in the fridge? If I put them in the fridge when they're just turning from green to black, with a bit of 'give' when you squeeze it, they can last weeks. I cut one open the other day that I bought weeks ago, and it was almost too underripe to eat. I pureed it with an immersion blender to make it softer.

Every time I've tried to preserve a cut avocado according to any of the common advice - lemon/lime juice, wrapping, pit in, etc - it doesn't work at all. It's still brown in no time flat. I don't eat avocado if I don't plan on eating the whole thing.

I was going to speculate that climate may have a lot to do with how avocados keep, but I haven't noticed any particular difference with them between our hot, humid summers vs bone-dry cold winters. *shrug*

Kristine, I agree with you about the avocados lasting a long time in the fridge. I hesitated, and in the end chose not to put that in my original post, as I didn't want others to expect too much. Just because MINE lasted that long, doesn't mean that they ALL do. I cut one this morning, from TJ's 11 days ago, and it was just right. 5 more from that same lot left in the fridge.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 14:24

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

Every time I've tried to preserve a cut avocado according to any of the common advice - lemon/lime juice, wrapping, pit in, etc - it doesn't work at all. It's still brown in no time flat. I don't eat avocado if I don't plan on eating the whole thing.

Interesting. I guess I never left one cut in the fridge very long. My experience has been much like guac, the surface turns brown but if I cant ignore that (there is no taste difference, its in our heads mostly, with the surface browning we instinctively dont like it) I can scrape off that browned surface and underneath is green avocado. I dont think I've ever left a cut avocado in the fridge more than couple days though.

Awesome to hear you folks having them last un-cut in the fridge for weeks! good to know. I don think I've tried that, mine usually get eaten faster but I dont usually buy them by the sack or bag...I might now though!