Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/320/280 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default BBQ sauce and Ketchup

Hello gang,

I found these sugar and carb free sauces and they are great!! I am sure they have may have been discussed, but I am adding my opinion. The brand name is G Hughes. He makes both the Ketchup and BBQ sauce. I myself prefer the Hickory. I did not care for the maple and Honey. The ketchup is also great. I cannot tell the difference between the sugar free and regular ketchup. My daughter tried the Hickory BBQ sauce without me even telling her what it was when I made BBQ Chicken awhile back and she said “Wow” this BBQ sauce is great! I thought it was funny she said that considering that it was sugar free and the first time I used. I do not use allot, but it is nice to have some options to take the edge off. Considering I love BBQing, it has been a winner for me. I just bought a pellet smoker and I need BBQ sauce and this has been a saver.

I bought it on Amazon, but I recently found the ketchup and BBQ sauce in my local food market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g-hughes-smokehouse-sugar-free-ketchup.jpg (8.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_940.jpeg (25.9 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 17:25

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 160/152/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi HT,

Great find! I am in the market for low/no-carb bbq sauce. What's used for sweetener in the ones you found? I don't do well with artificial sweeteners, but stevia (in small amounts) sometimes works okay. I was thinking I was going to have to come up with my own recipe. I do have a huge crop of tomatoes this year...

KL
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 03:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Many low carb recipes for sauces and dressings on the web...check the recipe forum here. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124
Also recommend the recipes in Kristie's Cookbook and YouTube. She uses "surkin" as the sweetener, which I have yet to buy. I have Swerve, and so rarely use it, a bag lasts me a long time.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBE0Tsle6KA

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-10-17 at 03:45.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 12:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I have made allot of her recipes.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 13:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeKeenLass
Hi HT,

Great find! I am in the market for low/no-carb bbq sauce. What's used for sweetener in the ones you found? I don't do well with artificial sweeteners, but stevia (in small amounts) sometimes works okay. I was thinking I was going to have to come up with my own recipe. I do have a huge crop of tomatoes this year...

KL
The sweeter is Sucralose (Splenda) Does not specify what exact brand it is, but I imagine it is liquid.

What do you mean that you do not do well? Do you get sick or does it effect your weight loss? Me personally, I do not touch anything Aspartame, however I do use liquid Sucralose and have done great with it. I also like Truvia and the new natural Splenda is the same, but I realized that they both have carbs in it. There is also Xylitol, but I have dogs and I don’t use anything with warnings. My dogs are beggars, so I will not use anything that is a danger to them.

I have done well with liquid Sucralose. I am knocking on losing 70lbs and I use both granular Splenda and liquid. Keep experimenting, you may find something that works great for you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 13:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 650/470/240 Male 6'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I use both Guy's and G. Hughes sugar free BBQ sauces. I think they're both made by the same company. I love the G. Hughes Hickory, but can't stand their honey or maple brown flavors. I like all of the Guy's varieties.

For ketchup, I always use the Heinz reduced sugar ketchup. I buy it by the 6-pack from Amazon on their "subscribe and save" plan. I have a bottle of the G. Hughes sugar free ketchup, but haven't tried it yet.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 06:56

Stats: 185/164/160 Male 68 in.
BF:
Progress:
Default Wicker's Marinade

I found this stuff that is pretty good. It isn't really like a BBQ sauce because it doesn't have any tomato in it. You can get really good flavor out of it by soaking your meat in it overnight and/or basting in the oven or on the grill. It is pretty much just vinegar and spices. It only has one carb per serving (probably from the vinegar) but it adds a lot more than that in flavor. Some of my friends down south turned me on to it, but it isn't available in stores most places. I found it on Walmart's site and they ship it to any Walmart or my house. There is a photo of the ingredients and nutrition facts at the link.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wicker-s...Fl-Oz/148477139