Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 16:22

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks Miri and Skee--
I really appreciate the research links and your bits of personal, practical wisdom. Fantastic!
So one gains with coconut oil (Skee) and one loses(Skinny Ray). Again, how amazingly individual our bodies are, despite the scientific principles.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 21:56

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hey Santabarb...It is frustrating, but I am dealing with perimenopause so who knows what can happen. I am also taking other oils, so I think my calories were over the top...
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 16:42

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyRay
another interesting link i found which has lots of articles on the low/fat v high/fat saga.

all i know is when i upped the fat i lost fat. (this and lowering the carbs of course)

Hi - curious about how many fat grams a day that meant for you (and while at it, I may as well ask calories, protein and carbs!)... I'm aiming for 1800 calories (may drop this in a couple weeks if nothing budges) about 60% of calories from fat - which is a little over 100 grams - and no more than 30ish carbs.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 22:29

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

i am excited. yesterday i ordered a quart of the Virgin Coconut oil and a quart of the Virgin Palm Oil from Tropical traditions..my first time trying either! ill let ya know if i notice any changes like quicker weight loss!
  #125   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 19:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am being more cautious on my fat intake. Less saturated fat from chicken, meat, using less coconut oil, not eating bread, so butter use is down. Avocado is a good source of fat.
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 19:25

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Hi - curious about how many fat grams a day that meant for you (and while at it, I may as well ask calories, protein and carbs!)... I'm aiming for 1800 calories (may drop this in a couple weeks if nothing budges) about 60% of calories from fat - which is a little over 100 grams - and no more than 30ish carbs.

I wish i could be more helpful. I haven't been counting grams of anything. Only thing is I am conscious of is not to eat too many carbs. I am just going for the (from ANDR) old -no more than 3 cups of vegies/salads per day. The more fat i eat the more satisfied i am so i guess my calories are down that way. the only carbs i eat are in the form of fruit or veg/salads. No processed food at all.

I went crazy on the w/e and ate some easter chocolate and had some bread. yetch. i got all grumpy and bloated and out of ketosis. took me nearly 2 days for the ketones to show up on my strips.

Tis true about everyone being different.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 08:56
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I have started with the coconut oil, I figure as unpleasent as a yeast die off sounds, if I have that much yeast in me I do not want it besides yesterday and today i felt good after taking it, I just melted it, added splenda, cinnamon and drank it down, I will have to remember to take all my suppliments to Canada when I go to see my Honey next week.
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 16:07

Plan: low carb
Stats: 267.4/242.8/170 Female 65.5 inches
BF:too/freakin/much
Progress: 25%

where do you order the coconut oil from??? i having a hard time finding it? also liddie how was the coconut oil mixture that you drank? is it sweet? how much splenda???
  #129   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 17:27
Butter is Better!

You can order it from here http://www17.netrition.com/cgi/prod...categories=COCO also a lot of other things you see on here, also my walmart had it, I melted it , put a 1/2 teaspoon of splenda and some cinnaman in and drank i, it is not great, but i didn't want to put it in my coffee
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 20:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 267.4/242.8/170 Female 65.5 inches
BF:too/freakin/much
Progress: 25%

i just ordered some and should get it monday or tues. is it somewhat nutty or just like taking flaxseed oil?
  #131   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo417
i just ordered some and should get it monday or tues. is it somewhat nutty or just like taking flaxseed oil?

It has a far far milder taste than flaxseed oil. I prefer to warm it to just the temperature at which it becomes liquid instead of solid, and then mix it with things to make a salad dressing.

And if you're not trying to eat it 'raw' so to speak, it's wonderful for frying things.
  #132   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 00:30

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo417
where do you order the coconut oil from??? i having a hard time finding it? also liddie how was the coconut oil mixture that you drank? is it sweet? how much splenda???

i ordered mine from www.tropicaltraditions.com and it is really good. I even eat it off the spoon. I wouldnt suggest cooking eggs in it unless you like coconut eggs..cuz it DOES taste like coconut!
  #133   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
i ordered mine from www.tropicaltraditions.com and it is really good. I even eat it off the spoon. I wouldnt suggest cooking eggs in it unless you like coconut eggs..cuz it DOES taste like coconut!

This is a good point. (I don't mind the coconut taste with eggs, actually!) But I tend to try to keep on hand two kinds of coconut oil - one, the cold-pressed coconutty tasting kind for use without heating (actually, just barely melted, like the bottle run under warm water in the sink - doesn't take much). And the other is a coconut oil that doesn't tout its "cold-pressedness" or, doesn't really taste like coconut. I use that to cook with.

The best-tasting thing I can imagine using the coconutty-tasting oil with would be something involving shrimp and actual toasted coconut. Must experiment.
  #134   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/128/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Y'all,

cbcb - Actually the coconut taste in shrimp sounds really good, will have to try it. A lot of the island recipes like Hawaii, use a lot of fruit in their cooking, sort of a sweet and sour. I am not too gun ho on sweet and sour except in sweet and sour ribs, yummy. Right now I have just made my first batch of the little Coconut Oil Pecan Cookie without the pecan, I have restarted on Atkins Induction and no nuts till I decide to get to Stage II. Just checked on them and they have set up nicely, need to transfer to a baggie. I sampled the liquid while I was making it for the Splenda and Cinnamon quantity, not too bad. I once saw a non lc recipe for Coconut Shrimp, it was made using shredded coconut.

I am able to get mine from a local health food store, I lilke the idea that it does not have to be refrigerated.

Hope y'all are having a wonderful day.

Carol
  #135   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 13:17
Butter is Better!

I order the virgin coconut oil from tropical traditions, and i buy the other kind, for cooking at Wallmart, because it's less then $3 for 31.5 ounces and good for cooking.