Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 13:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailew
I just found some premium organic coconut milk in the store and it's as thick and rich as whipped cream. I'm going to fiddle with those 2 things and come up with something that is like a treat instead of a supplement. Then I'll have dessert 3 times a day -Gail

So Gail what did you come up with?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 16:08

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

What I've done with my coconut milk (both the thicker and more fluid variety) is just add a little splenda to it. Easily it's my new favorite dessert. My mouth just sings when I taste it!!
I'm gonna try to make coconut popsicles with the cream
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 16:44

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Well, I've typed out this recipe and lost it twice somehow. Anyhow, here it (hopefully) is:
Coconut pudding:
1 can of coconut milk, room temp. (not lite)
1 cup of coconut oil barely melted
1/2 cup coconut, shredded
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. stevia
1/8 cup sf caramel syrup
Stir together well, and refrigerate overnight (to soften the coconut). Actually, I like this better not too cold. At room temp. it's creamier. It only takes about 3 Tbs. for a dose of the coconut oil, but it's very rich and filling.
I also like the coconut milk by itself. It has a natural sweetness.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 12:41
clairedavi

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Coconut Oil makes me tired. I have been taking it for 5 days, and it wipes me out. I have reduced it. Has anyone else experienced this?
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 22:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Clairdavi, you may have a yeast die off reaction.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 17:21

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I have been using organic virgin coconut oil since the first of the year, at the same time i started lc'ing. I was taking 2tbs per day and i was incredibly hungry for the first week or two even though i was eating plenty. i just wrote it off to increased metabolizm and kept my fingers crossed. I got a headache when i would take a tbs by itself and i would feel real tired but i didnt worry about it because i had read about candida die off and figured that's what was going on.

At 6 weeks i had lost 20lbs and i dont normally lose that much that fast so i am pretty convinced it is the ccno. I then decided to up my dosage from 2 to 3tbs per day occasionally 4. When i upped my dosage to 3tbs that first day i took the 3rd one around 4:30pm. i noticed that night i was kind of restless and i was having a hard time concentrating on what i was reading so i got on the computer and visited this forum. i cannot tell you how unusuall that is for me to be restless like that, but i am positive that it is an increase in energy from the ccno.

One other thing i have noticed since taking the ccno is, i have had an infection in my gums for about 6mos or so and after six weeks the infection is much, much better. I also read an article by the Dept of Health.gov where HIV/AIDS patients were given ccno and there were definite signs of improvement. one person who was newly diagnosed was cured, while other patients condition improved. I have also read where it helps the thyroid.

I can feel it doing something positive to my body in many ways.
I am grateful for this thread and hope more people continue to post their progress.

PS I cook my eggs in a tbs of ccno in the am, i cook all my veggies in ccno but other than that i take it by the tbs. i thought it would be real oily and thick tasting but it reminds me of the same oiliness as butter. Not too bad for the benefits.

Bye all

Thanks all for sharing!!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 08:14

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena123
I just thought I'd let everyone know I stopped taking the coconut oil daily. It's hard trying to work 2 tablespoons into my meal preparations daily and I'm definitely not down with eating it by the spoonful. That just kind of skeeves me out eating a spoonful of grease. I decided that I'd just use it if I'm sauteing foods since it's going to be healthier than using most other oils. Hopefully I'll still get the benefits.

I've found that the different brands of coconut oil are different, too. I really like Nutiva, it tastes more coconutty than Tropical Tradiditions VCO. Make sure it's virgin, it's not yucky to me at all, just eating it off the spoon. Only a teaspoon at a time, though. I also make smoothies with it: frozen fruit plus a tablespoon of VCO in the blender, it has a frosty consistency. You can't even tell it's there. I also put it in coffee and tea, it tastes yummy but the oil on the top might gross some people out. I cook with it, suatee in it, use it for greasing pans and baking. It's too expensive to deep fry, so I don't doo that. Once I tried coconut shrimp, which was good but used up too much oil.

Anyway, it does help with the weight loss, but I'm still hungry all the time. I eat for two and am still losing weight. If I take too much at a time (more than 1 tbs) it makes me too hyper.
Don't eat too much before you go to bed.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 00:32

Plan: Low carb and hCG
Stats: 187/180/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

You might try this:

Melt 1 square unsweetened chocolate into 1/2 cup or so of coconut oil - over low heat just until chocolate is melted. Add your favorate sweetener to taste. Pour into little dish or bowl. Refrigerate until slightly set, then cut into squares. Then return to refrigerator. It's like melt in your mouth fudge!
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 16:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/247/135 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much
Progress: 3%

Such a good thread!!!

I got some virgin co for the first time and I cant wait to start using it. I also heard it's used for conditioning and treating your hair & scalp.

OOOOOOO I'm so exited!

check back later
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 18:18

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question what is yeast die off reaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfid
Clairdavi, you may have a yeast die off reaction.

can anyone explain yeast die off reaction to me? what is it? what effects does it have? how long does it last for? (yes I was an inquisitive child )

Honeybunch

Yes it is very good for the hair and scalp. I read a thread on this forum about someone who fixed one of those nasty itchy/flaky head conditions by warming it and putting it in their hair for an hour or so. I tried it and my hair was very silky - but it is messy

TIA

quote of the day
I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man, I keep his house.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor-
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 02:13

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Well i have been taking CCNO for about 4-5 weeks and i still feel like crap. I feel so sick that i'm thinking of stopping. I really wanted it to help with not only my w/l but with my sluggish thyroid.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 10:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedavi
Coconut Oil makes me tired. I have been taking it for 5 days, and it wipes me out. I have reduced it. Has anyone else experienced this?
It sounds like you're experiencing yeast die off.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 10:30
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyRay
Well i have been taking CCNO for about 4-5 weeks and i still feel like crap. I feel so sick that i'm thinking of stopping. I really wanted it to help with not only my w/l but with my sluggish thyroid.
It sounds like you have yeast die off.

That means you're infected with candida (yeast) and the CCO is killing it. Your body is trying to get rid of the kiilled yeast and that's what's causing your symptoms/reaction. If you stop, the yeast will once again start growing and taking over.

Yeast die off can have all the symptoms of a bad case of the flu. It can also leave you exhausted and foggy minded.

It lasts until it stops, anywhere from 2 weeks tapering off to 2 months depending on severity of infestation and power of te anti fungal, i.e., CCO, oils, or other treatments.

It sounds like you should continue with the CCoO and take something stronger, i.e., oregano or tea tree oil, as well.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 20:00

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hey SkinnyRay -

I am positive what you are experiencing is die off. I have been taking vco now for 2 1/2 months and I have felt a slow decline in all symptoms...mainly feeling tired and somtimes a headache. Recently I have noticed somedays im tired and others i have more energy and everyday i feel better and better. Just yesterday i took 3 tablespoons (normally i take 2) by midday and i was bouncing off the walls i had so much energy i was giddy. I was in a great mood and i know it was because of the vco. Because i know how much better i feel i strongly urge you to hang in there.

I was wondering how much your taking? You mentioned early on you were only taking 1 tsp. Have you increased it any, if not maybe you could give that a try. Maybe by taking such a small amount your dragging out the healing process???

Gosh, I sure hope you can hang in there because it has literally worked miracles on me. I am so excited about I keep trying to get everyone I know to try it. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!!
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 23:13

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Default Menopausal Help...

Ray sounds like you are doing well... My yeast has got me bad right now... Maybe I need to try the coconut oil... in what form are u taking it, I have seen it as a solid... This article suggests not only correction of thyroid, but increase in progesterone in body....hMMMMM... http://groups.google.com/group/misc...ca2e5a2e2666ecb

HEY FOUND THIS RECIPE FOR YOU GUYS...

Here are two of my coconut oil salad dressing recipes:

Lita's Ranch Salad Dressing
One egg
4 tbsp cider vinegar (try 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar plus 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or 4 tbsp of rice vinegar)
1/2-tsp salt
1/2-tsp dry mustard
Spike or other seasoning to taste

Add the above ingredients to your blender. Then very slowly dribble into blender one cup of oil consisting of about 3/4-cup coconut oil (melted and cooled) plus 1/4-cup extra virgin olive oil to the blender and blend till smooth. (The more coconut oil, the thicker the dressing). (If oil added too fast, or oil is too hot, mixture will curdle).

Then add the following ingredients to the mayonnaise you just made to make a thick and creamy Ranch dressing that can be uses as a substitute for mayonnaise:

1-1/4 cup buttermilk
4-6 tbsp or so sour cream, cream cheese or honey yogurt
Onion flakes to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Salt
Juice of one lemon
Spike to taste or other seasoning
Black pepper
Parsley flakes

Blend until smooth. Refrigerate. This dressing will thicken as it cools. You can use it instead of mayonnaise and can dilute it with more buttermilk if you want a thinner Ranch dressing. If this tastes too tart, add a little honey.

Other suggestions for using coconut oil in your diet:

1) When you make pastries, substitute 50% coconut oil for whatever fat is recommended, hopefully butter.

2) When you fry or sauté eggs, fish, veggies or whatever, toss in some coconut oil. Add butter or olive oil you wish, for flavor.

OTHER RECIPES...http://www.coconutdiet.com/recipes.htm
OTHER INFO... http://www.coconutdiet.com/skin_health.htm

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Sat, Mar-18-06 at 00:25.