Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 17:53

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%
Default coconut oil to speed weight loss?

Has anyone tried this? I read an article in this week's Woman's World about how the oil boosts the metabolism and decided to give it a try since my weight loss has been very small despite my exercising at least 1.5 hours/ day and limiting my calories to an average of 2000 everyday. I went to my local Vitamin Shoppe and asked for the coconut oil as the article says to try health food stores for the oil. It was rather funny because the man who worked at the store said something along the lines of "Coconut oil?! What is it with coconut oil? People have been coming in here all morning for it! I just sold my last jar!" I explained to him that there was an article in a magazine about it boosting weight loss. He said the same thing happened a few years ago and the store ran out quickly then, too.
So, I was upset at not getting any oil, but decided to try my local grocery store (Shoprite for those in the NJ area). They had it in their health food aisle with the organic foods. I believe it was $6.59 for a 14 oz. jar. The article recommends using 2-3 tbsps of the oil daily. You can sautee your foods in it or use it as dressing along with spices over your salad- basically use it how you'd use any other cooking oil. It's solid at room temperature, so I guess you'd just nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it for salad dressing.
I figure I'll try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. The article says the best results come when you combine the oil with a low carb diet (makes sense because, like Dr. A said, fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do). I plan to use 2 tablespoons/day and I'm going to alter my menus and try to eat more chicken and turkey instead of of ground beef and other very fatty meats to make up for the extra calories in the oil. I'll report in to let anyone who's interested know how my scale likes the oil .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 20:33

Plan: Atkins & Weight Watchers
Stats: 321/226/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Athena123,
I would definitley like to know how you did with the coconut oil..I've heard a lot about it...keep me posted!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 23:43

I've been doing research about coconut oil tonight and found this posted in one of the google groups for alternative health--> Dr. Peat on coconut oil's benefits. It's pretty interesting.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 125/122/95 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 10%

really?!!!! interesting..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 14:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hasn't worked for anyone on the forum that I've heard. But it's great for your hair and skin when taken internally and externally.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 123/122.5/110 Female 5 something
BF:
Progress: 4%

is organic coconut oil okay to take?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 17:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/128/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Athena123,

I also would love to hear your findings. I bought a jar and have never opened it, I forgot about it until I found your thread. Maybe I will also start taking a couple of tablespoons a day and try it out.

Carol
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 20:05
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Organic or virgin coconut oil is the best kind to atake. You should never take processed coconut oil.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 20:27

Stats: 146/128/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Y'All,

Mine is organic.

Carol
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 23:18

Today was day 2 of using the oil. I haven't weighed yet because I don't expect much in 2 days. So far I've noticed that my face feels sort of warmer. Maybe that's the metabolism moving faster ? I also do feel like something is happening in my body- maybe it's more energy maybe it's weight loss. I'm not sure, but it's definitely a good, calming feeling. I'm liking this so far !
I have read some of the posts people who've used the oil made here in this forum. There really isn't as much as say for OoO or hoodia so I don't know what to conclude. I see that some people gave up on the coconut oil because it caused weight gain for them. Besides taking the oil, I'm not sure what other changes they made to their diets. I'd think you'd need to either subtract some food or add exercise, maybe even both, to really experience the oil's "magic". Say you were eating on average 1800 calories/day and then added 3 tbsp of oil to your daily menu. That would be a total of 2160 calories. You can't eat 360 more calories (3 tbsp coconut oil) in addition to what you were already eating and expect weight loss to happen faster. You're going to need to subtract calories somewhere in order to fit the oil into the plan. At least that's my thinking and that's what I've done the past 2 days. I have to admit I'd rather have a real beef hamburger over a ground turkey breast burger, but I'm willing to make the substitution in my foods if it means I'll break my stall.

P.S. This is a link to the oil I'm using ---> Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-24-06, 00:47

Plan: paleo
Stats: 160/160/150 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress:

if it causes your body temp to rise then you could potentially lose weight even though you are taking in extra calories

this is what I read that it does in some book
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 19:21

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I tried the coconut oil n peanut butter....didn't realy care for it. Oh, it was not bad, just not what I was expecting I guess. To me the flavors kind of cancelled each other out and it was rather oily and bland.....but anyone reading this try it yourself and see what you think. Mix a teaspoon of each and see....

I found another great way to get some CO in the diet. If you are at a stage that allows this, toast half a LC bagel (or a slice of LC bread). Spread about a teaspoon and a half of CO on the hot bagel.

In the morning, shake on some cinnamon and some granular sweetner of choice and eat with your breakfast.

For lunch or dinner or a snack, spread some butter on the half of the toasted bagel, then spread about a teaspoon of CO over that. Shake on some onion powder, garlic powder,black pepper, basil and grated parmesan cheese. Makes a super awesome garlic toast to eat with dinner!

But I donot do this every day, and generally don't eat both halves of the bagel in the same day, or the same meal...generally.....

#13   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 20:33

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I tried the coconut oil n peanut butter....didn't realy care for it. Oh, it was not bad, just not what I was expecting I guess. To me the flavors kind of cancelled each other out and it was rather oily and bland.....but anyone reading this try it yourself and see what you think. Mix a teaspoon of each and see...

Hmm. It was tasty with the Nutiva coconut oil, to me... very distinct coconut-peanut-butter taste. (I added cream to thin it a bit and then folded it into Splenda-sweetened whipped cream to make a mousse... which is now a favorite snack.) By the way, if anybody's near a Trader Joe's, their peanut butter is the best I've ever had, and it's just peanuts, peanut oil and salt, purportedly.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 22:04

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Hmm. It was tasty with the Nutiva coconut oil, to me... very distinct coconut-peanut-butter taste. (I added cream to thin it a bit and then folded it into Splenda-sweetened whipped cream to make a mousse... which is now a favorite snack.) By the way, if anybody's near a Trader Joe's, their peanut butter is the best I've ever had, and it's just peanuts, peanut oil and salt, purportedly.

You know what, I used coconut milk instead of cream.....I'll bet that is what upset the flavors and made it rather bland and weird tasting....I may try it again with heavy cream and I did not fold it into a mousse...so I kinda ate a representation of only part of the recipe....

See, I need to pay attention when I read...or actually print out the recipe before I make the sodding thing by memory......
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 22:11

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
By the way, if anybody's near a Trader Joe's, their peanut butter is the best I've ever had, and it's just peanuts, peanut oil and salt, purportedly.

I make my own peanut butter at my local health food store. They have a machine which crushes peanuts for you. No preservatives or additives. Tastes great too.