Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 06:33
Registered Member

Plan: A little of everything
Stats: 134/131/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Artificial Sweeteners

I am wondering what, if any, artifcial sweetener you use. I have been using Stevia based on Dr. Schwarzbein's suggestion but hate it. I am in the middle of reading PP Life and read that Stevia can cause a rise in insulin. I believe they say that Splenda does not and that you may use it sparingly. I started using it again this week in my coffee/tea. My problem is this is a daily occurence. What experiences have you had with these sweeteners? Have they caused a problem in your woe? How much and how often do you use them? Thanks for the input! It can be so confusing trying to figure out which book is accurate!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 14:46

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

I have lost a lot of weight (48 lbs and counting) on PP and I have used stevia for seven years. The Eades make only a single comment about stevia, and that is because of it's bitter taste, you should avoid it. For a book that is otherwise chock full of facts and good explanations, this unsupported bit of nonsense stands out like a sore thumb.

Stevia has been used as a sweetener for thousands of years. It is not artificial; it's from the leaf of the stevia rebauda plant.

Frankly, I think the Eadeses have missed the boat on this one.

Stevia comes in a few forms, some of which have a strong licorice aftertaste. I use NOW Foods' liquid Stevia glycerite, a clear liquid that has no aftertaste. The amount I use varies with the food I'm putting it into and my sweet tooth at the time. I find that 3-6 drops is the usual amount for me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 23:33

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I'm not crazy about the taste of stevia: not exactly bitter, but overpowering. I mostly use fiberfit, which is a liquid splenda, or erythritol, which is a very low calorie sugar alcohol. it's great mixed with a tiny bit of stevia.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 23:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I prefer stevia above all others in my personal cooking. IMHO, other sweeteners are so far removed from anything remotely resembling food that they're scary.

I'll admit that it took some getting used to, but now it seems natural.

Here is a link and another to a discussion of stevia chicolin blend. The blend is good for baking and desserts where you can mix it in with the dry ingredients.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 06:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

I agree ... stevia with chicolin as filler is the best-tasting form of it yet. Chicolin is a trade name for inulin, extracted from chicory root. It's a type of soluble fiber that contributes no calories or carbs .. but acts like a FOS to promote healthy gut bacteria AND has been shown to enhance calcium absorption. It's good stuff

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:35

BF:

I'm getting used to the taste of stevia, but I do baking for friends and family and they can taste the stevia, and they don't like it...Is there anything wrong with erythritol(other than that it is not a wholesome natural product)?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 23:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 425/266/200
BF:
Progress: 71%

The artificial sweetener I use most is aspartame, though everything I consume that has aspartame in it comes that way. If I make myself a cup of tea or something, I use Splenda. I've never tried Stevia.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 00:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with erythritol(other than that it is not a wholesome natural product)?

Sugar alcohols can cause problems for some people. Yjere's a great article at the top of the page under Low-Carb Tips.

Since you're in Seattle, take a trip into Vancouver, Canada, and stock up on Canadian Sugar Twin. A combination of that with Splenda gives you the most sugar like taste. It comes in liquid form too. If you do use the combination, you can cutthe amount of sweetener in half and use 1/4 Twin and 1/4 Splenda, or fool around with a combo of stevia, Splenda and Twin.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 02:38

BF:

Thanks, Karen. I go to Vancouver for the flimsiest of excuses, so Canadian Sugar Twin is a good one. I can just see the interrogation by US customs agents. "i swear it's not heroin, officer, it's Candian Sugar Twin!"...In fact, I do react to large amounts of maltitol, but erythritol doesn't affect me that way(diarrhea).