Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 16:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 182/172/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Are you successfully losing weight?

I'm new here (but not to low-carb) and was thrilled to see a protein power thread. I have done it before, but I am now doing Atkins.

My question is -- are you losing weight? Are you getting smaller?
I'm thinking about switching plans, but I need to know that this is working for people.

Are you losing? Pounds, inches or both?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 21:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
I'm new here (but not to low-carb) and was thrilled to see a protein power thread. I have done it before, but I am now doing Atkins.

I'm thinking about switching plans, but I need to know that this is working for people.

I've lost 26 lbs. since March 1st, and about six inches total from bust, waist and hips...and for most of that time, have been unable to exercise due to recovery from a surgery, during which the docs preferred that I not do any exercise more serious than walking, and even that was pretty severely limited for the first six months of this year. All I've been consistently doing for that time is eating according to PP guidelines.

So yeah, I'd say it works.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 00:25

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've been low carbing for a while, but get off track. Now I'm almost at the purist level meaning I've given up grains, fruits and dairy. I only eat meats, eggs and about 3 cups of low starch veggies and some olive oil and a little butter each day. I've lost about 11 pounds and my clothing is getting loser. I used PPLP to figure out that my minimum protein is about 6oz per meal. So I stay close to that. My calories come out to about 1600 per day. Then I try to exercise off a few hundred calories every day.

I think once you understand the science behind it you can do some customization that is right for you. I think many of us do need to watch portion sizes (dare I say calories?) in order to lose weight.

I just love PPLP because they explain the science of why carb restriction works.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 02:58

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 220/190/120 Female 5ft 5inch.
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default 12lbs in One Week

When I woke up yesterday morning I was nervous but not scared.

However when I get on the scale I screamed..............Yes folks I screamed 12lbs in one week...........Amazing. Right then and there I remember the phrase, "if you commit and work hard you will see great results", and dont I see great results.

I am very excited about how my hard work paid off and that 15minutes of work out every morning was definitely worth it.
I am definitely looking forward to the following week, even though I am not expecting to lose so much weight but yes I know the scale will admit to how hard I am working.

I have decided to try another meat next week with my vegetables which is called, turkey neck, my decsion for choosing this meat is, its cheaper and when I went to the grocery store tonite I pickup 5 small packs, which I know will last me until wednesday along with my vegetables which is the same. The price I paid for the turkey necks is the price I paid for one large pack of chicken which is not much to last three days. I am trying to budget as much as I can, even though my bf thinks its not necessary, but I wont abuse the fact that I am not paying for it, so I am going to pickup the more expensive meat, I am tryin to budget now as much as I can and if this is way to start, I see nothing wrong with that, of course the other week, I know I might settle for fish...........not sure but, at least I wont feel so bad about having an expensive shop list every week..............as mummy would say, " sometime coffee, sometime tea" and furthermore I will explore some cooking skills.

Ohh did I treat myself HELL YES!!!.............I bought 3 different types material I wanted to take them to the taylor today but I was informed by his office he will not be in office until next week. I did not ask which day he will be back, all I know I will go see him on Friday which is close to my weigh in day and there of course is another week being added to my first week and I will be alittle less.

Can I tell you.............I feel like I am inlove.

#5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 18:26

Plan: Protein Power/Int Fasting
Stats: 204/161/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've been losing slow but steady for the past 14 months. Took a break at Christmas which was supposed to be for two days, but didn't get back on the program fully until mid-March. Won't do that again! But since then I've lost 20 lbs, and I'm post menopausal. But better than the weight loss, my blood sugars have stabilized and cholestrol is down into normal range.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-06, 04:57

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:

I actually went from Atkins to PPLP!

Although Atkins wasn't my first attempt at LC, it was the first that I was successful on and that I felt accurately described the process. Got to goal 3 years ago, went away to school, gained it all back!

Then re-comitted to LC and got to a point (almost 5-6 months) where I couldn't break 156! Picked up PPLP and was on my way. I see PPLP as similar to OWL and later phases of Atkins, so I'm not sure why I can lose with PPLP and not Atkins!

But I've surpassed my goal and have been losing fairly regularly!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 144/115/115 Female 5ft 2in
BF:35%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%

I lost about 30 lbs and several sizes in clothes, and I've maintained that loss for 2 1/2 years now. It certainly worked for me. I don't have the energy crashes that I used to have every afternoon, and my skin looks better, too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 19:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but tweaking
Stats: 289/232/132 Female 170cm
BF:Unknown/45%/??
Progress: 36%

I've been on Atkins for over a year and have decided to try PP. I have been stalled for 6 months now and ovcioulsy some change is needed.
I bought the PP book online today for just $5.95 on ebay australia and am ordering PPLP from a bookshop (2-3 weeks delivery). I'll come back and let you know how I get on.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 05:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default lost 30

In July of 2006 I weighed 223 pounds my Insulin was out of control, I was pre-diabetic.
After learning of the Paleolithic diet (no refined carbs) I decided to give it a try, for my health. I have seen too many of my family member die of diabetes and I was not going to let that happen to me. At first I though it would be hard cutting out all the foods I loved such as pasta, rice, potatoes and bread, not to mention colas. I threw everything out of my cupboards and went shopping. I bought mainly veggies and meat, a small amount of fruit and dairy and I was going home. After seeing what all I could eat and how healthy it was I really wasn’t hard at all to stick with this diet. Yes I cheat sometimes, but when you see the benefits of this diet you can’t resist sticking to it. I guarantee this diet will be with me for life. And speaking of life, my health has improved greatly. My insulin is down over half in just a couple months! And not only that I have lost 30 pounds in 3 months! That’s 6 inches that melted off my waist alone! I went from a size 3x to large and 24 to 16. Not to mention how tone my muscles are by eating protein and not carbs. I am sexy and fit now and never even exercised once, that’s the truth. I know it really sounds too good to be true but try it. I have been over 200 pounds for 6 years and now I am down to 190, it works, it really works! If it can do all this for me it will work for anybody. Including my hubby who has lost 20 pounds in half the time it took me!
Get this diet and stick with it, It really works!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 05:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/164/155 Female 5 ft 5inch
BF:
Progress:

hi I have been on low carb for over 7 year I am at a point where I have to do some thing to lose more weight not been doing that well for a while now. any way what is pp can you tell me a bit about it, like the name of the book, I am always open to a new way, and I would like to see what it is thanks
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 13:42

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Protein Power Life Plan
here is the author's website:
www.proteinpower.com
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 16:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:

both: 16 lb so far and 1.5 to 2.5 inches depending on what you are measuring. Droped from size 20 to 18. Started buying 16s in anticipation of next drop.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 20:18

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

I think that you will find that the underlying principles are the same for both programs. The differences are in emphasis. The book PPLP is an excellent read to understand the science of a low-carb diet, ala PP/Atkins.

My suggestions would be to be sure you are taking the recommended supplements, especially to start. Then do not cut back on total calories too much. That can create a "starvation" condition that causes your body to conserve everything it can, so it hangs on to the fat you want to loose. Once you determine your protein requirement, you must eat that much at least, but not over eat either - that is more than twice the minimum, to start. You can adjust this as you see how you are doing. To keep your calories up in the acceptable range (I see numbers like 1500- minimum to 1800 per day as working well from the posts I read) substitute fat for the carbs you stop eating, good ones of course. Since fat gives you 9 calories/gram and carbs have only 4 calories, you won't need to eat the same volume.

I hope you post back and actively participate. It is the best way to gain your diet goals.