Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 11:19
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default at Bawdy Wench's suggestion

Here is what I have had the past week in terms of calories etc.. Most of the carbs have come from dairy like cheese, butter, heavy cream, and eggs….. most of the calories from chicken, meatloaf, Nova.
I eat at least one, possibly two salads of Romaine lettuce (3-4 oz) each day with two tblsp, of Newmans Oil and Vinegar dressing, usually with 2-3 oz. of cut up chicken, sometimes some sun dried tomatoes, olives, parmesan cheese.

Friday: Mar. 12
2771 calories, 216 g Fat, 20 carbs, 176 g Protein
Saturday:
2,400 calories, 168 g Fat, 23 carbs, 169 g Protein
Sunday:
1923 calories, 127 g Fat, 9 carbs, 124 g Protein
Monday:
1645 calories, 132 g Fat, 8 carbs, 106 g Protein
Tuesday:
2249 calories, 176 g Fat, 19 carbs, 150 g Protein
Wednesday:
2278 calories, 186 g Fat, 16 carbs, 140 g Protein
Thursday:
1971 calories, 148 g Fat, 10 carbs, 134 g Protein
Here is what I have had the past week in terms of calories etc.. Most of the carbs have come from dairy like cheese, butter, heavy cream, and eggs….. most of the calories from chicken, meatloaf, Nova.
I eat at least one, possibly two salads of Romaine lettuce (3-4 oz) each day with two tblsp, of Newmans Oil and Vinegar dressing, usually with 2-3 oz. of cut up chicken, sometimes some sun dried tomatoes, olives, parmesan cheese.

If I can figure out how to copy what I have logged on my personal FitDay software, I'll share that but I basically have been eating the same sort of stuff all winter.
Last spring and summer until late fall I was eating mostly beef, steak or hamburger, with a salad each meal except breakfast which was often a 4-egg omelet wit 3 oz. of cheddar cheese. Sometimes I substitute a crustless quiche or spinach quiche.
I used to also drink 22-44 oz. of tea with 2 sweet 'n lows per 22 oz. but I stopped a few weeks ago when I got tired of spending all the time in the bathroom.
I am steadfastly drinking at least 50 oz of pure water plus another 25-30 oz of water mixed with Metamucil (14 oz) abd Crystal Light. I have been using Crystal Light the whole 11 mos. I have been on Atkins.

SO-the question is why have I stalled for 12-13 weeks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:01

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Well, a first glance I would say your calories are too high to lose. As you lose your body requires less calories. Also your fat is very high and if you are following Atkins you are most likely burning the fat your eating for fuel so your body has no need to dip into the reserves which would result in a loss. You don't need to make drastic changes but I would think about lowering calories to 1600-1800 and your fat to 50% of calories.

JMHO
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:17
Renaissance Man

Default thanks for your suggestion....

It has been my understanding the rule of thumb was 10 calories per pound of weight?
Also, people on the Atkins threads are always saying Fat level should be at 70%.
This does get confusing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:54

BF:
Progress:

I am not sure about the calculations As for fat....most of us were Atkins followers and found that high fat didn't work for us. We tend to follow a moderate fat intake (40-50%) vice the 70-75% fat as advocated by Atkins. We have also found that while Atkins may work well to begin with, once you start getting closer to goal calories and fat matter more and will slow down or stop you from losing.

Hope you find what works for you
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:04

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I too would say that your calories are probably to high. Try lowering them and see what happens.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:59
Renaissance Man

Default I can lower the calories.....

In fact, I did two weeks ago or so when I did a FatFast for 3 1/2 days but I was, of course, keeping my fat levels high at the time.
I lost 2 lbs. which I promptly regained.
I'm wondering if I'll do better when warmer weather lets me go back to grilling beef outside every day? I switched to chicken when it got too cold to use the Webber but I much prefer a big juicy hamburger any day.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 16:43

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Bob, I disagree with the others (sorry, guys!). You're a guy. If you were female, I'd say your calories are too high, but men can handle a lot more calories because of their muscle mass. Heck, you're at 27% body fat, which ain't too shabby in my book. You're definitely getting there.

Men tend to do better on Atkins than women do. Also, I'm not sure I agree with the idea that if your fat is up around 70% that your body won't burn its own fat. Don't want to start an argument, just don't know that I believe that.

That said, I'm not quite sure what's going on with you. Are you measuring? Are you losing any inches in your waist, chest, arms, or legs?

If you want to start tweaking, do it, but do it scientifically. Maybe try to drop the calories to between 8 and 9 times your current weight (so, between 1,824 and 2,052). Renee has had luck with this.

Do this for two full weeks (every single day) and see what happens. Sometimes people tweak way too often (ok, so I'm guilty of this, too!) and then nothing works.

You're keeping good records. Keep it up and you should be able to get things moving again.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. GOOD LUCK!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 17:27

BF:
Progress:

Sorry.....didn't realize you were a guy Bawdy, it is not a point to agrue about..re fat... cause really...who the heck really knows for sure? When I was following Atkins I was told this countless times...I was in ketosis but not losing thus burning the fat I was eating instead of stored fat. I believe Kimmer is behind this theory.

Bob...now that I know you are a guy , you probably can handle more calories but if your stalled then it could be worth a try
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 17:43
Renaissance Man

Default okay, here is more detail on what I ate

for the last week.
Yes, I measure....I bought a digital scale back in the Spring when I started this diet. I know I could/should have more vegetables but in trying to keep my carbs down, there was no way I would bother to cook a 1/2 cup of something. When I get fresh broccoli at a reasonable price I eat a whole bunch 14-16 oz. or whatever it comes out and adjust the rest of my carb intake for that day.
No on measuring. I stopped because I was pretty sure they were not consistent (how tight did I pull the tape the last time etc.). My clothes remain loose and I have been buying smaller sizes.
On the other hand, the nice firm rolls of fat I used to have are now disgusting puddles of something that looks like melted jello floating in a rubber bag.
Here are the food details:

My daily menus for a week:
Friday, 3-26
1 serving italiano meatloaf
4-egg cheddar cheese omelet
4 oz. romaine lettuce
4 oz. chicken niblets
2 tbsp. Newman’s Caesar dressing
2 tbsp. Macadamia butter
3.8 oz/ sharp cheddar cheese

Saturday, 3-27
4 tbsp. Macadamia butter
8 tbsp. Cajun Crab spread
1/3 portion of italiano meatloaf
2 oz. chicken niblets
2 oz. pork skin rinds
4 oz. romaine lettuce
1 oz. cucumber slices
2 tbsp. Newmans Balsamic Lite vinegar dressing

Sunday, 3-28
4 oz. Jimmy Dean pork sausage
4 eggs scrambled
14 tbsp. Cajun Crab spread
2.5 oz. chicken breasts
2 oz. pork skin rinds

Monday, 3-29
4 slices Canadian bacon
4 eggs scrambled
3.2 oz. romaine lettuce
4.5 oz. chicken niblets
3.8 oz. cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. Macadamia butter

Tuesday, 3-30
7 slices Canadian bacon
4.75 oz. chicken breasts
4 oz. swiss cheese
3 tbsp. Macadamia butter
4 oz. romaine lettuce
2 oz. chicken niblets
3 pieces sun-dried tomatoes
2 tbsp. Newman’s Caesar salad dressing
3.15 oz. cheddar cheese

Wednesday, 3-31
4 oz. Nova salmon
4 oz. cream cheese
4 oz. chicken niblets
¼ serving italiano meatloaf
4 oz romaine lettuce
2.5 oz. chicken breasts
3 pieces sun-dried tomatoes
3 oz. cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. Newman’s Caesar salad dressing
10 Kalamata olives

Thursday, 4-1
2 oz. Nova salmon
4 slices thick bacon
2.35 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
6 oz. chicken breasts
1.5 oz. heavy cream
¼ serving italiano meatloaf
3 oz. Limburger cheese
4 oz. cream cheese, Nova mix
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 17:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'd bet on the dairy being the reason for no loss. dairy is a known staller for many people. Most of your daily carbs should come from salad AND VEGGIES. Very few from dairy.

So I'd cut out the dairy first and up the veggies. Good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 22:40

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hi there, i will jump in.

(i am a girl by the way...)

i am going to through out in the ring that you may not be getting enough carbs. is there a reason you keep them so low? are you trying induction till the end? when i switched to PP from atkins i added more fruit and veggies and took out some fat (cut cheese a little, use 1/2 and 1/2 instead of heavy cream now, that kind of stuff). my carbs went up, but the fat and consequently the calories came down. i started loosing again. (although painfully slow!!!!!) but slow loss is still better then no loss.

if you are interested, i have a public fitday, just click the link in my signature to check out the kind of stuff i have been eating lately. (please ignore that day with cake though....hehe)
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 09:14
Renaissance Man

Default okay, I just measured & compared

with my July 23 BodyComp. profile.
In 255 days I lost 31 lbs.
lost 6.5 inches from shoulders
lost 1.5 inches from chest
lost 5.5 inches from waist
lost 4.5 inches from abdomen
lost 2.98 inches from thigh
lost 2 inches from knee
and less than an inch every place else.
Body Fat % went down from 27.04 to 26.08.

FWIW: The BodyComp calculations claim I burn 1,798 calories at a resting metabolic rate and calculates 2,787 calories total calories burned each day..........I know that is pretty subjective and based on self-declarations about whether I live an active or sedentary lifestyle.

That's probably why everyone says I am doing so well. What they don't realize is that I have my mind made up to do even better.......whatever I have to do to do it.

Thanks for the various suggestions. I'm mulling them over and in the meantime have definitely decided to return to eating more beef and much less chicken.........weather is more moderate and I can fire up my Webber and start to grill big batches again. (I usually cook 6-8 hamburgers at a time---about 75% done and charred---then return to fridge or freezer and simply zap in microwave when meal time arrives.)
Yes, I am nothing if not lazy........or at least reluctant to do unnecessary work. Since I religiously walk my 2 miles every day at the gym at a 3 mph clip, I cannot claim to be totally lazy....but nearly so.

Last edited by lasert : Sat, Apr-03-04 at 11:03.