Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/149/118 Female 5 ft 3ish
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default OT - Any Forum Members in the Charlotte NC area?

Hey all,

Well it seems DH's job may have us moving to the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. That makes 5 moves in 7 years btw.

Wondering if anyone here knows that area and can offer any advice or general info on the area, as well as info regarding Living La Vida Low Carb in the "Gateway to the South"

Would love to hear from you...

Last edited by DameMeow : Tue, Oct-23-07 at 12:00.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 11:03

Plan: first Atkins plan
Stats: 270/232/154 Female 66 inches
BF:sz 24-26 /22/ 12
Progress: 33%

Goodness! 5 moves in 7 yrs

I thought only military moved that much
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 11:53

BF:

Yep... I thought so too :-(

1st move was only 5 miles away into DH's apartment after we got married, but after that it was Florida to Poconos, PA for 2 years, back to Florida for 2 years, then New Jersey (we hate it here) for 2 years and now here we go again. Honestly the only place that feels like home is Florida (since I lived there 7 years before I was married), unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option this time. I am just exhausted thinking about again... but at least I will get my butt in shape first if I stay on plan.

Last edited by DameMeow : Tue, Oct-23-07 at 12:13.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 13:35

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

I lived in Charlotte for a year right after college - I found the south in general to be not-very-LC-friendly, but this was before the LC craze swept the nation! Anyway, one GREAT thing they have that you can eat to your heart's content is NC Style barbeque - it's made with a vinegar based sauce and is (normally) not sweetened at all, so dig into that pulled pork with abandon! My favorite place to eat in Charlotte was a place called Crazy Buffet - they had a little bit of everything (from chinese to italian, hence the name), but the draw for me was the cold seafood - shrimp, crab legs, mussels and clams, with all the melted butter you could handle. My roommate would go to pig out on sushi, and I'd eat nothing but crab legs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 14:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmez
I lived in Charlotte for a year right after college - I found the south in general to be not-very-LC-friendly, but this was before the LC craze

Yeah, I'm a bit worried that since the craze has passed and there are fewer of us doing it, I may be in for some trouble... although I had that in PA too, so I saved a lot of money on restaurants :-)

Did you like Charlotte? I'm worried about living in the South ... Florida is as far South as you can get, but it wasn't really "Southern".
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 14:27

BF:

Thank you moderator, whoever you are... this was a better place to post this... thank you :-)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 14:35

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

I really wasn't wild about living in the South - I'm from Michigan originally, went to school in upstate NY, and now I live in NYC, so I am a northerner for sure. Charlotte is a nice enough city but there isn't a lot of nightlife or a very big arts scene (I'm an opera singer, so that's important to me). I visited Raleigh several times while I was there and I found it to be a much less conservative, more fun town than Charlotte. That said, the weather is really nice (at least in the fall through spring), and if you're into gardening it would be a great place to live. Charlotte always just seemed a little stuffy/uptight to me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 15:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmez
I really wasn't wild about living in the South - I'm from Michigan originally, went to school in upstate NY, and now I live in NYC, so I am a northerner for sure. Charlotte is a nice enough city but there isn't a lot of nightlife or a very big arts scene (I'm an opera singer, so that's important to me). I visited Raleigh several times while I was there and I found it to be a much less conservative, more fun town than Charlotte. That said, the weather is really nice (at least in the fall through spring), and if you're into gardening it would be a great place to live. Charlotte always just seemed a little stuffy/uptight to me.

Hey one more post and you get your steak. :-) I grew up on Long Island and moved on a whim to Fl in my 20's. So. Florida is just another NY borough LOL I tend towards a real Northeast politico mentality.. I am very worried about me and my big mouth in Charlotte.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 13:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DameMeow
Hey one more post and you get your steak. :-) I grew up on Long Island and moved on a whim to Fl in my 20's. So. Florida is just another NY borough LOL I tend towards a real Northeast politico mentality.. I am very worried about me and my big mouth in Charlotte.

It will be a culture shock. If you like it, you'll adapt. And yes, your big mouth Northeast politico mentality will not likely win you a lot of southern friends, at least not at first. Not everyone, native or newcomer in the south is quiet and well mannered - they just handle it better when its from someone with a southern accent. ;-)

Feel free to PM me for more specifics.

jkmfrog
Former Wisconsinite, still liberal, livin' in the NC Triangle Suburbs.