Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What is the Best Time of Day to Exercise
The Earlier the Better 250 53.88%
Afternoon or Evening is Fine By Me 99 21.34%
It Makes no Difference - I'll do my best to skip it 25 5.39%
Makes no Difference - I'll do it any time of Day 90 19.40%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 17:53

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

I picked the earlier the better which is my prefference.

If I go to the gym, I have to wait untill 9pm because it's the most convienent time. Besides, it's dead and machines are available.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/199.5/155 Female 175 cm
BF:
Progress: 22%

Someone mentioned the SlowBurn plan, what is that?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 17:45

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I feel morning is better. Anytime time of day is fine. I am just too tired at the end of the day to do it
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:41

Plan: Induction
Stats: 215/214/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I agree with jinkster. Regardless of what time you go I didn't see results until I became consistent. I worked out early mornings 4 times a week and had lost 17 lbs. Of course that is before I gained 8 back and am starting over. This time I am excercising with atkins. Last time I ate whatever I want.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 10:41

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

first thing in the morning for me as soon as i,ve had my 2 cups of tea.i like to get it over with before the work day begins.if i don,t get my morning exercise i feel sluggish all day.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 13:08
Registered Member

Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Early for me

I exercise at 6:45 in the a.m. I never used to, but I learned that if I wait until after work, I won't do it.
So, early to rise, go for 45 minutes, then I'm finished for the day. If the spirit moves me and I want to take another walk or something, then all the better!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:00
Registered Member

Stats: 201/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Morning is the best time for me. By the time I get home from work I'm wiped out.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 21:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 185/180/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default It's Early Or Nothin'

I'm motivated more the first thing in the morning. Then I feel great the rest of the day and have sunlight to do whatever else I want when I get home from work. After work I just can't commit to. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. When I need consistancy (like lately ) I shoot for a.m.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 19:55

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

I excercise early in the morning so i can get a head start on the day...

Also, it raises the metabolism in the morning, so i not droggy eyed but the time i get to college...
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 316/304/200 Male 76
BF:better/every/day
Progress: 10%

I'm not a morning person and work evenings so I exercise whenever I can. Usally late morning early afternoon. but often at night after work Midnightt - 3 AM. It is about all I can do to get up and get the kids off to school in the AM. Plus it is too cold to ride my bike. I love walking in the late night when everyone else is asleep and the roads are quite. I think I will do a lot of my bike riding then next summer. I've always been a night owl.
Rod
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Age-Defying
Stats: 170/169/140 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hey HotRod - I'm so glad to hear that there's another Non Morning Person out there! All these bright eyed and bushy tailed folks are making me ill.
My beloved has been springing out of bed at 0530 to do PT (that's Physical Training for the non military) for twenty years. Personally, I think that somewhere in the Geneva Convention there's a mention of that being a violation...
I, on the other hand, like to work out in the afternoon. I've decided that it's an even trade-off. Being rather coordination-challenged at the best of times, I figure if I go to the gym bleary eyed and half asleep, I'll probably trip over a weight bench, break my neck, and end up in a body cast for six months.
I'll take the metabolic trade-off any day!

After moving to this particular hellhole, I joined a gym which immediately was sold. Conditions went down the toilet; the place was gross. Almost a year passed with no dedicated workout time.
Husband finally convinced me that the gym at his installation was quite good. And, guess what, he's right!

Currently, I'm doing six days per week: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are a combo of 1 hour weight lifting and 45 minutes of cardio.
Sunday and Wednesday are about 90 minutes of cardio.
Cardio for me isn't what it is for others, but I'm maxing out my heart rate, and that's all that counts.

I've found, over the years, that if I don't buss a**, nothing gets accomplished. Not only am I non-morning, but my body's a putz.

Last edited by pcsqueen : Tue, Oct-28-03 at 09:11.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 16:03

Stats: 215/150/?? Male 5' 11
BF:25%/17%/<10%
Progress:

I have worked out off and on for the past 10 years but have always had the problem of something coming up that interferes with my schedule. Most recently, our new baby had been waking me up at 4 am like clockwork. My wife feeds him before bed so I have always taken the middle of the night feeding. After giving him his bottle and putting him back to bed, I would hit the gym by 4:30 or 5 and be back in time to get my 7 year old daughter up for school. My wife is so not a morning person. I find it is safer to just handle the kids in the morning rather than trying to wake her up.

Now, however, we just moved into a new house and he has decided that he is never again going to wake up at the same time twice. This has completely screwed my routine and I have been out of the gym for the last few months. Now I either oversleep and don't have time to go or he oversleeps and will surely wake up the second I step out the door. And I don't want to face that wrath when I return.

I am really missing the energizing feeling I had after an early morning workout. I hope he gets some consistancy to his schedule soon.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 249/204/185 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 70%

From an article in Muscle & Fitness it says that the best time to exercise is when you wake up and before you put anything in your stomach.

Also says to keep the metabolism going is to do cardio and weightlifting on different days.

And they showed a study that said you burn more fat calories by when exercising to do the hard part first and then the easy part.

Example: Say you do hard jogging for 15 minutes and then 15 minutes of fast-walking will burn more fat calories than by doing the easy and then the hard.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: personal
Stats: 150/137/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default My routine...

I prefer to exercise in the evenings. 7:00 P.M. till around 7:30 P.M. works very well, I can prepare for the following morning and relax and know there is no rush to get to any place. So I would have to say that evenings are best...
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 07:22

Plan: South Beach-starting Mon
Stats: 210/190/140 Female 5'4
BF:46.8%/41.8%/goal??
Progress: 29%

I generally try to work out after my classes are done in the afternoon. I usually head to they gym after my 2:00 Calculus class and I'm there from 3:15-4:30 doing something. That gets me back just in time for dinner!