Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Am I doing induction right?

I currently just eat beef or pork with cauliflower and cheese. With about a bottle of diet sprite a day. I would say my carb count is below 20 pounds. I'm not losing weight rapidly as early in induction but seem to be losing slowly.

I prefer to eat just 1 or two different meals over and over. Like the guy from true life who just ate a salad for one year straight to lose weight. My question is there anything i'm doing wrong for maximum induction benefits? Like should I add butter? Or remove the diet soda and only drink water? If anything seems wrong let me know I want this weight off as fast as possible from a dietary perspective. I'm not much of an exercise person so plan on losing weight from diet alone.

Last edited by ImAllLike : Sat, Jan-14-17 at 10:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 09:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi ImAllLike. 20 grams of carbs per day is great but I think you stand a better chance of sustainable success if you introduce more food. Chicken, fish, ribs, steak, etc. Maybe more healthy fat like avocado, olive oil, butter, cream. Veggies like Cobb or greek salad, broccoli, peppers. Eggs are great.

I'm like you, I repeat my meals over and over again, especially breakfast. Maybe if you buy one of the Atkins books, you can get some idea of all the foods you can eat on low-carb. We don't necessarily lose more weight by eating less on low-carb. Sometimes we lose more when we eat more low-carb and healthy fats. Also, I find it helpful to log my food into fitday.com so I can see my macros of percentage of healthy fat, protein and carbs.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 11:49

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hello, ImAllLike...

Naturally we're all in a hurry when we finally make the decision to tackle those extra pounds. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of people who aren't fussy about variety seem very happy with meat and eggs and cheese, not much else. Just be sure you eat the FAT that comes with the beef and pork. Bacon is a good idea. I like BBQ myself (Smoked only--HOLD THE STICKY SAUCE!)

On this plan, you can expect to lose 1-2 lbs. a week. That's excellent even if it seems "slow." By now you should be eating just enough to feel satisfied, and your hunger signals should be down to nothing. That's a big benefit of low-carb.

As for the diet soda, YMMV. For some it's an indispensable aid to sticking with it. For others it can have a metabolic effect (sugar cravings) that makes things tougher. If you think something is "slowing you down," try cutting out the soda and see what happens.

Don't worry about the exercise part for now. Losing the extra fat is all about diet. However, as your fat decreases and your energy increases, you may find that being more active comes naturally to you. "Exercise" doesn't just mean working out in a gym or pounding the pavement. Sports, outdoor activities (in our case, shoveling snow), climbing the stairs when you can, etc. Any kind of movement adds up.

Best wishes.

P. S. While you're here, look up the Journal of Ken Khrussva. He has dropped a mountain of fat. It took him a couple of years, but his choices and his commitment are the keys to success. Or find his story here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/way-eating-saved
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 09:17

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Cut the cheese and use butter instead. It is better to eat more fats and less dairy. Eat other proteins, eggs, chicken, etc.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 10:17

Plan: Atkins, LCHF
Stats: 275/138/165 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

I fail to see how flatulence is going to help her out.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 14:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

On Atkins Induction, cheese is limited to 3-4 oz a day, and if you wish to speed weight loss, try dropping it and diet drinks completely. If you click on Ken's "My Plan" green button link and look back to the beginning of his food tracker, you will see all sorts of great foods to eat and still lose weight.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 16:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
On Atkins Induction, cheese is limited to 3-4 oz a day, and if you wish to speed weight loss, try dropping it and diet drinks completely. If you click on Ken's "My Plan" green button link and look back to the beginning of his food tracker, you will see all sorts of great foods to eat and still lose weight.

Whats kens screen name? Couldn't find it. If you have a link it would be great.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 16:27
Registered Member

BF:

So if I remove the cheese and diet drinks and just eat meat veggies and butter I will lose weight the fastest? I like to keep things simple so I am willing to just eat meat and veggies with butter and water thats it if that is the fastest way to lose weight.

One other question I have is if frozen vegetables are okay or you must get them fresh?

I just googled lowest carb veggie and spinach has the lowest so thinking about eating meat with spinach butter and water. Going to be tough but if this helps me lose a ton of weight the quickest i'll do it.

Last edited by ImAllLike : Sun, Jan-15-17 at 16:39.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 16:54

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
Whats kens screen name? Couldn't find it. If you have a link it would be great.

Start here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461979
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 17:05

BF:

"So if I remove the cheese and diet drinks and just eat meat veggies and butter I will lose weight the fastest?"

You will probably not like my answers. So to answer the first question: I don't know. Only you will know if you have a twin and compare notes.

"I like to keep things simple so I am willing to just eat meat and veggies with butter and water thats it if that is the fastest way to lose weight."

Keeping things simple is a very good idea. I think it helps me.

"One other question I have is if frozen vegetables are okay or you must get them fresh?"

I think frozen are fine. Some might even argue the might be better, picked a the hight of freshness and quickly frozen rather that the limp Bok Choy I've been seeing lately.

Good luck, relax and enjoy the ride.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 20:32
Registered Member

BF:

I'm really having a tough time deciding if I want to try to add in a more balanced diet including keto snacks and sticking with the diet pop and cheese. It would seem I would lose faster if I just stuck with a rigid menu of meat veggies and butter and water. But for those who do induction for life they seem to eat a variety of food not just what i've been eating. So the question comes down to, including keto snacks or not?

I do want to lose weight as fast as possible but i'm starting to think maybe i'm better off losing weight a little slower but enjoying some keto snacks like keto pancakes and waffles you can order from some of these sites. Is this a big no no at my stage of weight loss? I started last year at 305 pounds or so and I am currently 249 pounds. I want to get down to a nice 170ish. I'm 6'0 tall if that matters. So 80 more to go. I'm just afraid if I start eating more balanced menu that my weight will stall. Then again it would be worse if i didnt try the keto snacks and lost weight at the same rate of this bland meat veggie butter thing im currently doing.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 23:26

BF:

I've played around with 3 things your are considering:

- Snacks (90 day no snacking experiment - continued this practice in general)

- Cheese/Dairy (removed cheese/dairy from my home, eat it out occasionally)

- Artificial Sweeteners (currently 2 weeks into a 90 day experiment)

So far the best habit I developed was not snacking between meals. Cheese/dairy would be second and kind of fed into the first as I would snack on cheese and last, the jury is out, artificial sweeteners, in fact ALL sweeteners.

I've been able to use artificial sweeteners thru the majority of my weight loss and the loss was fairly rapid and steady with the usually prolonged stalls, reversals and quick drops mix in. For me, these seemed to have affected the rate of loss the least.

good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 06:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks Thud, since Ken is internationally famous now forgot to add the link.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/way-eating-saved

If you haven't added LC products up to now, do not start. You can make Keto " pancakes" from cauliflower or other snacks but would not suggest any bakery items found on-line.

Of course you will lose weight more rapidly if you do not snack, or even better, add meal timing to your plan. For example eating only two meals in a 4-6 hour window or other variations of intermittent fasting (IF). This is not only a reduced calorie benefit but has hormonal advantages as well.

Dr Ted Naiman has a popular version of LC he calls MEAL... meat, eggs, added oil and leaves. https://www.dietdoctor.com/10-post-...-rapid-fat-loss
Consider trying that for say two to four weeks, see how you feel on a more restricted Keto diet and your results. If you find it too hard, then add back whatever you missed, but again monitor the result. Finding a LC lifestyle you can live with forever is a constant project.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 09:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Love the MEAL concept. So simple; yet, so much variety provided by these general ingredients in terms of meal preparation and eating combinations. This is a winner for anyone following an Atkins, LCHF, ketogenic, or Paleo WOE.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 14:16

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks, Jen, for the link to MEAL. That's a great plan! So simple. I like simple. In fact, I keep pretty close to MEAL already. Eliminating nuts (for the time being anyway) was a big step in the right direction.

Spinach is my go-to vegetable. It's in a salad, in an omelet, or a quick sautéed side dish--maybe with mushrooms. Use fresh or frozen.