Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 14:31

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

LMAO ... it would be hysterical to watch them try! Can you imagine the black market?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 16:42

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

i couldnt imagine it! I'd weigh 800 pounds or more by next year! What was that woman thinking...??
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 23:49
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Many years ago, in the late 90's when Atkins started booming my boyfriend at the time, who is an ob-gyn, told me he is going on it. I about flipped out. I started yelling at him and insisting that he was going to kill himself etc. He tried to explain to me why it made sense and how it was healthy and I did not want to hear one word about it. I thought that he was totally nuts! It took me a few years, a few other personal testimonials and lots of reading and research until I realized all the lies that have been force fed down my throat by the media and in turn almost everyone else that I knew.

The low fat dogma is so deeply entrenched in our culture that I honestly wonder if the pendulum will ever swing the other way. I think its slowly moving in that direction and over time low carbing will at least be considered a viable lifestyle choice like vegetarianism and not demonized. Of course sometimes I wonder if that is really the best thing. Those of us who were low carbing in 2002-2004 experienced the boom. If you recall, all it did was convince food manufacturers to make low carb Doritos, Oreos, Snackwells, candies and all sorts of other low carb junk food that caused a bunch of people some gastric distress and convinced them that low carbing wont work for them. If low carbing rises in popularity again the same thing is going to happen. People will be running to buy low carb Oreos like they are going out of style and then complain about how they GAINED weight on Atkins.

I have to say, overall, I am happy with our small but strong low carb community.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 23:51
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie
I've had a few people advise me that Atkins is unhealthy.

My response is usually "How can cutting out refined sugar and flour, and trans fats be unhealthy? None of those things are good for you in the first place."

Many of those same people, after telling me that I'm killing myself with this diet, will turn around and say that cutting out sugar is a healthy thing to do.

DUH!

I once had someone lecture me about how flour (white) is an important part of our diet and how we all need it.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 23:56
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
I haven't mentioned it to a doctor lately but I was at a restaurant the other day and when I declined both the bun and the crackers the waitress looked at me and said 'I thought Atkins had been banned?'

Uhhh ... nope! And I'd like to see the government try to ban it! hehehehe No idea what she was thinking!

The "fat tax" keeps popping up in the UK and has been proposed here as a way to help slow down our obesity epidemic. Basically, foods, including natural ones, that are higher in fat are subject to additional taxation the way tobacco and alcohol are. This would mean that foods like skim milk are good while whole milk or at least cream are bad. Steaks = bad, boneless skinless chicken breast = good etc.

I don't think it would ever go through and I think its moronic but there are people coughpritikincoughornishcough who think its a good plan.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
The "fat tax" keeps popping up in the UK and has been proposed here as a way to help slow down our obesity epidemic. Basically, foods, including natural ones, that are higher in fat are subject to additional taxation the way tobacco and alcohol are. This would mean that foods like skim milk are good while whole milk or at least cream are bad. Steaks = bad, boneless skinless chicken breast = good etc.

I don't think it would ever go through and I think its moronic but there are people coughpritikincoughornishcough who think its a good plan.

I certainly hope that a fat tax never gets passed -anywhere as it would be bad precedent. As it is we have farmers/ranchers raising leaner animals. If we're not careful we could wind up in a situation in which the cost of less-lean meats is higher than their leaner counterpart due to lack of availability.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 10:14

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

So basically I will be skinny and broke. Oh well! LOL!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 10:38

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%
Question Banning Low Carb

This is a great thread, thanks for all the laughs! When I was a little girl (probably 45 years ago), I remember my grandmother was on a diet and she didn't eat bread, potatoes or anything sweet! She didn't call it Atkins or LCing, but even back then they knew what caused people to lose AND gain weight. My very smart grandmother should have written a book! LMAO!!!!!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 11:11

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherCher2
This is a great thread, thanks for all the laughs! When I was a little girl (probably 45 years ago), I remember my grandmother was on a diet and she didn't eat bread, potatoes or anything sweet! She didn't call it Atkins or LCing, but even back then they knew what caused people to lose AND gain weight. My very smart grandmother should have written a book! LMAO!!!!!

It's true! It was simple then... starch, flour, and sugar.. they KNEW!!!!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 13:46

The problem is when we start attaching labels ... LC, Atkins, SBD, black, white, skinny, obese ... We LOVE our labels. When I was in Ireland a couple of years ago (btw - sooooo want to move there) a coupld of Irish friends commented on the was the US insists on labeling everything - even something as simple as a night out for a hubby/wife becomes 'date night'.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/189/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I once had someone lecture me about how flour (white) is an important part of our diet and how we all need it.

Yeah.. words cannot describe it.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 04:30
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Well this thread is a jewel!!! I'm so glad I stumbled in. I love so many of your posts. I'm not going to try to quote everyone, but I found myself nodding my head throughout.

When I look back at my growing up years and some of the things I "discovered" I want to do the V8 head slap. I should have listened to my body earlier!! When I was in high school (70's) and decided to lose some weight I didn't follow any "diets" I just looked at what I overate and eliminated it...I called it "no breads, sweets, or starches." After college I "discovered" the original Atkins. Lost weight and felt great. Man, my life would have been so much easier if I had really gotten it. Instead I listened to the knowledgeable people in the world and ended up with a lot of years of frustration, sadness, and obesity. The absolute worst was the American Diabetes Association (I've had type 1 for 26 years). If I ruled the world, I would target them first. Until the ADA bows to the wisdom of people like Dr. Bernstein, I don't think there will be widespread support of low carb. Wouldn't that be a GIANT change? Diabetes is BIG bidness in our country.

I'm fortunate in that both my primary care and endocrinologist support my low carb. It is hard to argue with great results.

As for the surgery?.....I recommend that people do what I have done. Save your surgery bucks and body for when it will do you the most good--AFTER you've lost the weight. I am not being judgemental of people having bariatric surgery, I'm just going for efficiency. I believe most people CAN lose significant amounts of weight. (If I can do it---menopausal woman on an insulin pump--others can do it.) What we CAN'T do without surgery is get rid of large amounts of loose skin. I had a lower body lift 6 weeks ago. That was worth spending the money and going through surgery.

I don't want to think that I am an ostrich with my head in the sand refusing to hear the "wisdom" of the masses, but I am listening to my inner voice and body in regards to low carb. AND, just for the record I am turning a deaf ear to the statistics that say hardly anyone can maintain weight loss!! I think it is TOTALLY possible to do it. It may not be easy, but low carb works! We can defy statistics!

I think that may be my 3 cents worth.
Sara<><
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 06:56
Creating my reality

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/259/190 Male 5'11"
BF:"TILT"
Progress: 57%

awesome for you.. I've always said.. the cure for a non supportive doctor is a new doctor...

T-man
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 07:59

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%
Lightbulb PCP Support

At my yearly checkup last month, my PCP was surprised and very pleased with my weight loss. When she asked what diet I'm following and I told her LC, she agreed that it is the best way to lose. Part of the medical community is slowly coming around after seeing the long-term lab results, along with the weight loss, of their LCing patients. HOWEVER, prior to LCing, I was a frequent PCP visitor with all my various ailments, so it was hard to believe that I had not been to see my PCP for a year!

I'm a firm believer that many of the cancers and health problems are caused by food additives/preservatives AND the many medications for lowering cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and other prescription drugs that doctors so gladly prescribe. Perhaps part of the medical community doesn't want the general public to know they can improve their health by following a LC plan because then we wouldn't need so many doctors!!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 08:00

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

PCP? (prime something physician?)