Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 08:00
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I made this yesterday, and it was fantastic! Best chicken I have ever made — even The World's Pickiest Husband loved it. I used a whole chicken and the skin actually got pretty crispy in the crockpot; most of the skin anyway. The skin on the bottom of the chicken that was sitting in the drippings stayed pretty soft, but the whole thing was delicious. DH actually thought it might need a little MORE salt, but I thought it was perfect.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 20:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/177.5/155 Female 69 3/4
BF:
Progress: 6%

Mine is marinating in the refrigerator for tomorrow's dinner. I plan to put it in the oven. Is it true that it does not crisp up if cooked on 250 for 5 hours? For those whose turned out crispy in the oven--what exactly did you do?

Thanks in advance for some tips

P.S. I went the onions-in-cavity route. I also put the spice mix UNDER the skin as well as rubbed it all over the outside and in the cavity. I can't wait to see how that works!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 09:08

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

I marinaded last night and chicken is in the crockpot as we speak!! I can not wait for tonight!

Thanks for the recipe!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 10:38

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

AWESOME!!! I'm not a big fan of bone-in chicken, but as promised the meat fell of the bone!! This was just incredible!! Thanks soooooooooo much for the recipe!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 18:47
Registered Member

Stats: 291/215/150 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:

I made this today, and I did it on 250 in the oven for 4-5 hours, and it was so tender. I just pulled the bones out. The skin got pretty crispy also. I only used 2 and 1/2 tsp. salt instead of 4 and increased the garlic powder to 1 tsp. I scraped the juices and browned bits off of the bottom and mixed them with sour cream and had the most incredible cream sauce to eat with the chicken. I really loved this recipe.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 18:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/162/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 85%

made this today, and it is spectacular! definately making this again.. i put in oven ~ 250 for about 5.5 hours, and used leg quarters.. skin came out slightly crispy, and meat fell off the bone as promised!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 03:50

Plan: Atkins (+m&e)
Stats: 320/310/190 Female 5ft  11"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi everyone. Just been reading all the posts here........... I have done chicken in the croc pot for years and it sure is an easy non -fuss meal! I chuck it all in the croc pot as I walk out the door and it sure is a lovely smelling house to come home to! I find that you seem to get quite alot of chicken fat appear in the juices which leave it totally swimming !!I usually try to remove as much fatas I can from around the tail end of the chicken before I put it on to cook. If you want crisp skin just cut the chicken in half with your kitchen scisssors and carefully lift each half onto roasting plate and grill skinside up afew mins till brown.Gives it a nicer roast look too.You can experiment and basically use any seasonings that you like. Vegies always cook quicker remember.I scrub my potatoes and leave whole so that they don't all break up.I cut the carrots in half lenthwise and then in half again.
Just my 2c worth!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 20:20

Stats: 150/143.3/138 Female 5'5"
BF:27.9
Progress: 56%

I enjoy smoking turkeys and chickens. This recipe sounded a lot like a standard "rub" put on the night before you plan to smoke your meats. Since everyone seems to enjoy the spicey tastes, here are a few more rubs you can try experimenting with.

From "Smoke and Spice" cookbook by the Jamisons

"Quick Chick Rub"

1 T paprika
1 t salt
1 T sugar (substitute your favorite)
1/2 t fresh grounf black pepper
1/2 t onion powder
pinch cayenne

When you smoke, you use a "mop" which is a baste. This recipe asks for a mop of

1 c Orange juice
3 T butter
1 T worcestshire.

As a baste, the OJ just rolls off so your not eating a whole cup of carbs. i have no idea how to count them here. I have two chickens prepared for smoking tomorrow this way. I did not double the recipe for the 2 birds, but I did rub it between the meat and skin wherever I could. You get the best flavor that way.

Here's a different rub from a rib recipe one called "Apple City Baby Back Ribs". it would work with chicken.

1/4 c brown sugar (substitute 2 t sweet n low brown)
4 t onion powder
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t dry mustard
1 t salt
1/2 t dried thyme

This is from their "Lone Star Spareribs" recipe

1/3 c ground black pepper
1/4 c paprika
2 T sugar (substitute!)
1 T salt
1 T chili powder
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1 1/2 t onion powder

So rub it up and put it in your crock pot!

BTW; I enjoyed the sticky chicken but thought it was a tad too salty and I cut it down based on people's assessments. Still enjoyable though!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 19:13
library diva

Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

made this today in the crockpot - only thing I did differently was that I cut the salt in half. This was SOOOO good. The chicken fell off the bone AND my skin was crispy! Yum- I will be making this again.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 11:15
library diva

Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

I used this marinade/spice mix on some cornish game hens - did them in the crockpot as well...and they were delicious as well!

I'm thinking this would be a fabulous way to do turkey for thanksgiving.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 09:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I finally tried this in the crockpot, and it was awesome. I did it with a bag of chicken drumsticks. The chicken was so tender, I was able to eat it "finger lickin' good" style with my hands, and I'm not supposed to do that with braces on my teeth. This is a great recipe for anyone who needs soft food.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 21:27

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

I make this chicken from time to time in my crockpot. I use half the salt and it turns out great EVERY time. It's so simple, but so good.

I never thought of roasting it. I will try that next time!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 10:46

Plan: paleo/ lyme diet
Stats: 226.5/187.5/125 Female 5'7"
BF:lots
Progress: 38%

yum!
This has become a staple for me!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 19:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I made this on the weekend, and it turned out wonderful. Mmmmmmm

I don't have a large oval slow cooker; what I have is a 4L (4½ US quart) round model.

I used a whole chicken, 1.8kg (approx. 4 lbs), and half the salt called for in the original recipe. I also used 1 heaped tsp paprika, instead of 2, then added a tsp ground cumin seed. Otherwise everything else was same.

I didn't truss the chicken, in fact I cut off the fatty skin flaps around the vent, and also at the neck.

I sprayed the sides and bottom of the slow cooker with olive oil non-stick spray, and put 3 crumpled balls of aluminum foil in the bottom. I put the chicken in, breast-side down, slightly sloped so the vent end was downward. It fit just fine, but of course the legs and wing edges were touching the sides of the crock. The foil balls held it up, so it didn't sit in the juices which drained off during cooking.

I cooked in on high for 1 hr, then low for 6 hrs. The skin didn't get crispy, but it was golden and "sticky" as the title suggests. It wasn't just pale and flabby .

The breast meat was so soft and moist .. perfect to use leftover and cold on salads etc. The skin was delicious on its own, and of course the dark meat portions, thigh, wings etc were perfect.

As others stated previously, the meat "fell off the bones". Even the gristle and cartilage came out soft. I've saved the bones and gristly bits, and will make broth later this week

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out The spice mix is delicious, but I think even simple seasoning will work, and a whole bird will cook just fine in a round crockpot .. as long as it's not too big. 1.8kg (4 lbs) or less is best.

Doreen
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 19:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

re - the juices which drained off ....

I poured the juices into a bowl, then refrigerated. The fat rose to the top, which I spooned off and saved , then threw away the watery stuff with gritty bits of spices etc.

The seasoned chicken fat is awesome to use for sautéing vegetables or scrambled eggs

Doreen