Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/160/135
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken

Here's a yummy recipe that i found that i have marinating for tomorrow evening that sounds Oh so yummy!!

Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
(NOTE: I didn't have any white pepper so i used a total of 1 tsp. black pepper instead)

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. When ready to cook, put the bird into the crockpot and do not add any liquid. As the cooking process goes on it will
produce it's own juices. Cook on low 8 - 10 hours and it will be falling off the bone tender.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 11:55

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default dumb question

you take it out of the bag before you put it in the crock pot, right?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:15
Registered Member

BF:

Oopsies! Yes, take it out of the bag and place it in the crockpot...sorry!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%
Smile Great recipe! -- thank you, Raydie :)

I made this today -- with a few substitutions. I used 8 chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken; a whole chicken won't fit in my crockpot. This worked fine, but reduce cooking time. By 8 hours, I would have had only a puddle and some bones left I also didn't have either thyme or onion powder. Details, details

Anyway, it's very spicy, it fell off the bones as advertized, and I'm vary grateful for the recipe. I've been eating bland, creamy things, and this was a nice break!

THANK YOU, RAYDIE
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 07:34
Registered Member

BF:

You are quite welcome alto! I LOVE this recipe and plan on using it when we do Xmas turkey! It is definitely delicious. I have some thighs and breasts in the freezer that i am going to use it on too. It is also delicious cold!

#6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 19:06
Registered Member

Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Another version

I have made this crock pot sticky chicken and it is very good. There is a non-crock pot version for those whose crock pots won't hold a large roaster. You just put it uncovered in a roasting pan, put a cup of chopped onions in the cavity (you don't eat these) and roast at 250 degrees for about 5 hours, basting occasionally. The spices are basically the same. This recipe is from Paul Prudhomme. His theory is that using both white and black peppers adds complexity.

The version made in the oven rather than the crockpot is even more delicious in my opinion -- it is one of my favorites, and so easy.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 15:49

Stats: 183/180/120
BF:
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up sticky chicken

I also have made this recipe for YEARS in the oven, and my DH absolutely craves it. We both love it from the oven because of the wonderful crispy skin it gets. And yes, it is a bit spicy. The dripping make great soup stock, but don't try to make any gravy from it unless you want it to burn all the way down and out!!!

I make up 10 lbs of leg quarters at a time ( on sale, $.27 a lb!) and freeze in dinner-with-lunch-leftovers sized portions. It is so easy to do in the oven, I have never thought of using my crockpot. I guess the skin won't get as crispy, but it will still be yummy!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 18:16

Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

The skin doesn't get crispy -- but what a nice thought! I'll try it in the oven -- thanks. I'm a slapdash cook, and it never occurred to me that the texture of food would be different in a crockpot. (Yeah, I know, dumb dumb)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 22:23

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Well, I didn't have thyme, so I used basil. I didn't have a whole chicken, but I had skinless chicken thighs. I soaked the chicken in water with some salt substitute (potassium) for a few hours in the fridge. I patted them dry, sprinkled them with all the herbs, then cooked them on the gas grill - delicious!! Thank you very much for the idea, even though I did something somewhat different!!
-Catinhat
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 14:29

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up WOW-perfect LC food!

Thank you so much for posting this! I made this yesterday and it turned out great! It literally fell of the bone--after cooking I boned it and shredded it and mixed the juices back in with the meat. Now I have a tupperware full of shredded seasoned chicken meat! Very economical. I will be making this a lot!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:45

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My husband & I both enjoy it!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 08:12

Stats: 175/149/135 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Raydie, loved your recipe! Do you have any other crock pot recipes? I'm having a hard time finding any for low carb recipes. Thanks again! It was delicious!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 08:07

Stats: 187/156/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Crockpot Sticky Chicken

I've made this recipe twice now, only using whole cut-up chicken. The second time, I did two chickens since, cut up, they fit in my pot, AND, we had company for dinner!. We love it and so did the company! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Karen
in Montana
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 17:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hot dang, this is some good chicken! I made it in the oven with drumsticks. I baked it at about 300 F for just over two hours. Another recipe recommended 5 hours at 200, but I didn't have that much time. I just kept an eye on it with a meat thermometer.

It was a tad too salty for me, but I'll just cut back next time.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 19:52
Registered Member

Stats: 194/178.4/125 Female 5ft. 4 inch.
BF:?
Progress: 23%

I was a Personal Chef for a few years and this was a top recipe for many clients. Easy for us too

Tracy