Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 09:28
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Waning of low-carb fad could aid citrus, sugar farmers

Waning of low-carb fad could aid citrus, sugar farmers

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/busine...tkins_0808.html

By Susan Salisbury

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, August 08, 2005

The low-carb fad has faded, and last week's bankruptcy filing by Atkins Nutritionals Inc. appears to prove that.

Two major Florida agricultural products, sugar and orange juice, are expected to benefit from the decline in popularity of low-carbohydrate eating plans such as the South Beach diet that were in vogue over the past few years.

"My guess is the market for sugar has grown a little bit with the fading of the Atkins and South Beach," said Robert Coker, senior vice president at U.S. Sugar Corp. in Clewiston.
But Coker said any growth in the market for sugar is likely to go to foreign members of the Central American Free Trade Agreement nations rather than domestic producers.

CAFTA, signed into law last week, allows sugar producers in the treaty nations greater access to the U.S. market.

Initially, the agreement allows the five Central American countries and the Dominican Republic to import another 110,000 tons a year into the U.S.

"By itself, CAFTA will not ruin the domestic sugar industry, but it will have a significant impact on all our businesses," Coker said. "If CAFTA is the precedent for future trade agreements, there will be dire consequences for the U.S. sugar industry."

Orange juice sales also have suffered under the low-carb phenomenon.

However, when both food service and retail orange juice sales are included, sales are up 1 percent this year over last, said Andrew Meadows, spokesman for the Florida Department of Citrus in Lakeland.

"We think people are starting to differentiate between good carbs and bad carbs," Meadows said. "If you are looking for a good carb with vitamins and minerals, that's orange juice."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 14:30

Plan: a revised atkins plan
Stats: 258/-/149 Female five feet three inches
BF:
Progress:

Have they lost their minds? For One thing juice is so high on the GI list.Why do yout think they give it to people when their sugar bottoms out? Eat an orange, yeah better for you but drink the juice they sell? Not Good. Besides by the time they add corn syrup to it they make it even worse for you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 17:50
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
"We think people are starting to differentiate between good carbs and bad carbs,"

Isn't that a cute saying. Nothing like spin. The only good carb I know of is fiber and low glycemic carbs aren't too bad.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Waning of low-carb fad could aid citrus, sugar farmers

What could really help the Carb industries (Corn, Wheat, Rice, Sugar, et al.) is if they'd start pushing Ethanol and Biodiesel as alternative fuels. With Gas prices rising, you'd think they'd be looking into helping reduce our dependence on foreign oil [and making a nice profit to boot,] rather than bemoaning Atkins.

Since these are CA prices, for comparison, Regular Unleaded [here in Pensacola]/Ethanol (Mid-west based on the 18-Month graph, since noone sells Fuel Ethanol - yet - in FL):

AUG 2005: $2.40/$1.85 (Today)
AUG 2005: $2.36/$1.84 (Yesterday)
AUG 2005: $2.20/$1.82 (Last Wendsday)
MAY 2005: $2.09/$1.22
APR 2005: $2.20/$1.25
MAR 2005: $1.87/$1.32
FEB 2005: $1.87/$1.45
JAN 2005: $1.69/$1.65
DEC 2004: $1.77/$1.90
NOV 2004: $1.93/$1.95
OCT 2004: $1.92/$1.75
SEP 2004: $1.60/$1.52
MAY 2004: $1.73/$1.75
MAR 2004: $1.66/$1.66
FEB 2004: $1.55/$1.35

With the exception of DEC 2004, Ethanol has been consistently on par or cheaper (sometimes significantly) than Unleaded Gasoline...and the difference between CA and elsewhere has never been more than $0.10/gallon, whereas for Gasoline its consistently been $0.20-0.40/gallon difference. Based on current prices, thats a savings of $0.55 (Elsewhere) - $0.75/gallon (CA). They could use the Carbs to make Ethanol and market it for $1.99/gallon nationwide (that's an extra $0.14-17/gallon profit over and above the current prices) and people would be elated. to be paying under $2/gallon again.

Cars could be converted rather easily if the EPA would allow it, and most new cars/trucks can be purchased with an Ethanol compatible engine. Its called the "Fleet" option. If I'd bought my truck a few months later than I did, I might have considered getting the "Fleet" option, just in case I ever drove somewhere where I could get Ethanol (No stations - open to the public that is, as there are 3 or 4 Gov't facilities that pump Ethanol - here in FL).