Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 20:12

Plan: lchf
Stats: 185/167/155 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Low carb and diabetes the journey so far

i started my low carb high fat diet app 2 months ago and i have been pretty good at sticking to it considering how easy it is for me to cheat and how much i love my bread and pizza etc. i had watched some videos saying it would lower my blood sugars . i had my first hemoglobin a1c on friday last week and got the result today . I was shocked . my sugars had gone from 7.2 the last one and 6.8 the one before that to 6.3. the nurse said it was almost normal. so now i am really determined to bear down and try to do better until i hope at some point to be able to get off my meds. if you are struggling with diabetes i encourage you to try this low carb diet as a means of controlling your sugars . the following link is the video i watched to finally motivated me to action . i have also lost some 15 to 18 lbs since may but that is another story the fitbit story. good luck to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ&t=712s
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 00:53

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Thanks for posting that video.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 07:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Congratulations on your success lowering the HbA1c!
I agree that Dr. Hallberg's TEDtalk is the best short video to explain how to manage diabetes through diet.
Have you found your way to the Diabetes forum here?: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
And recipes? http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2
Some great LC subs for pizza and bread.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 11:54

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

My partner's A1C went from 7.2 to 5 in 5 1/2 months.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 14:03

BF:
Progress:

thanks for the feed back i am so grateful to not feel so alone with this i dont know of a local low carb group not sure if there are such things like live support groups
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 18:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Keep up the good work 😁
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 10:33

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

LC is the only way I can control my blood sugars. I'm on a low dose of ER Metformin, but if I don't want to have to "graduate" to more medications I HAVE to eat low carb to keep my blood sugars low enough. I can't break into the 5 percent club, but I can keep my A1C between 6 and 6.2, which I'm happy with at my weight. Eventually it will lower as my fasting comes down.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 03:15

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your replies and the comfort of your fellowship. Of course I did not double my reports I celebrated by having a few meals of the old meals and yesterday made a mistake thinking popcorn was low carb. I should never assume anything. I had eaten half the bag when I researched it and discovered it is high carb. As I lay here awake trying to get a plan of action going for the day I will try to keep in mind my hemoglobin a1c numbers and remind myself that I have never achieved that before and how I got there.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 03:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi again Nexxus,
What is local for you? I know of a few LC groups that meet..Durham, NC, Lafayette, IN, Denver, CO, etc. You can watch and even ask Questions of the Durham group via Periscope or FB Live.

And for those who want to stay VLC , under 20g, there are quite a few Facebook groups where you get virtual support 24 hrs a day. Reversing Diabetes, THElowcarbsupportgroup, (sadly that started out only 20g now it is anyone vaguely LC), TypeOneGrit (although geared to Type 1 many inspiring and smart people about diabetes), and many other LC FB. There is a very active U.K. LC Diabetes group, and a large South Africian Banting support group. Tell us more what you want for support, what do you need to stay on track, and We may have more ideas for you.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-24-17 at 04:38.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 09:02

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://drbastomski.com/wp-content/u...roda-Barnes.pdf

A pretty good system used way back when cutting carbs was pretty normal medical advice, before the low fat craze set in was grouping carbohydrate foods by percentages. The page gives a diet based on 50 carbs a day, but it can be used for any level of carb restriction, and you'd have spotted corn as a 20 percent vegetable (popcorn is way higher, since it has much less water than most other ways we eat corn) and been able to avoid it.

Dr. Eric Westman's page four, or the Atkins Induction acceptable foods list available on this site are also good lists of safer foods.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

Even if you don't want to follow one of these exact plans, Dr. Westman's advice to not eat foods if they're not on this list can be altered to, if it's not on the list, it's probably safer to look it up on google.