Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#661   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-16, 11:35
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
I did find that I've started to exclaim "Groovy, man" at times and have had a desire to hug the hickory tree in the front yard but I think I can keep this all in check. It's that annoying earworm that is the most nuisance ♪ "If you're going to San Francisco....be sure to wear a flower in your hair." ♫ I'm like all natural, man, and feeling....well......groovy.

Peace out.

Later 'gators.

Blue, this made me laugh. My stepsons are sure I'm a hippie because (among other musical genres) I still listen to the music of my youth, which they refer to as "hippie music."

Jakz, former foster children are glad to see foster parents like you who are willing to go the extra miles for their foster children. I don't know that I've ever mentioned it here, but I was a foster child for a short time in my early youth.

I had an absolutely wonderful visit with my dad. He is not in any pain, his spirits are high and he has a positive outlook. We talked about a number of important (to us) issues and that was good. We had a lot of quality time together. Sometimes it felt as if we were the only two people in the world. I may have mentioned it at one point, but one of the things I wanted to do was get a DNA sample from him to further our family's genealogical research. I needed some y-DNA for that, which I obviously cannot provide. I took two swabs from him, which was rather comical looking, I'm sure. They've been sent off to join my DNA sample. I'm so grateful he was open to this.

Anyway, here are some pics of us during our visit:

Sponsored Links
  #662   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-16, 09:37
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mornin', Kids.

Lab, what GREAT photos and even better memories. You look fab, of course. Dang girl, you are so photogenic. Love the hair too, now that I can actually see it. I'm continuing to pray for everyone.

The scale still loves me. I still love it. We had a moment in the bathroom this morning, our regular meeting place. I'm enjoying detoxing. Yeah, I actually said that. My joints don't hurt nearly as much and I'm hoping the flareup continues to disappear. My clothes are looser too and that makes me VERY happy.

Lab, what DNA site did you use? I have friends who have done 23 and Me and also Ancestry. Because it's just my sister and me, we have no Y chromosomes which saddens me a bit. It would be nice to know although we know a ton of information about my dad's family.

One of our friends actually found two half siblings from 23 and Me. She was adopted as an infant by a British diplomat and lived around the world. Her birth parents met in England, where she was born. Her birth mother, it turns out, was Irish and went back to Ireland where she married and had a daughter. Her birth father was French and went back to France where he married and had a son. This year she got to meet both and extended family. Pretty cool.

Jim and I are heading out to enjoy this sunny autumn day. Catch you all on the flip side. Stink eyes all around!

Later 'gators.
  #663   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-16, 13:35
It's Only Food!

BF:

Afternoon, Kids.

I'm still moving down. I've pulled up my big girl britches and have practiced IF this weekend as well. That's a big deal for me. At work it isn't nearly as hard but home, well, it's a challenge! My big girl britches are getting loose so I needed to pull them up anyway.

We ventured out yesterday to enjoy the sun and foliage and ended up at one of our nicest grocery stores where I bought kombucha. I've never had it before but it's fermented and is full of probiotics all of which are good for healing the gut and maintaining gut health. One bottle has two servings and it resembles fermented fruit juice. It's different but I sort of like it, especially the cranberry one.

I don't know if any of you are like this but I go in spurts with favorite foods. It's my own personal seasonal eating, I guess. I go for a time wanting to nibble on cucumber coins and have those daily. Then I'll move on to something else or changing my salad dressing. Now I'm making my dressing with raspberry wine vinegar and all I can say is YUMMO! I've also taken to eating whole raw cranberries. I put them on my dinner salad or have a serving as my happy hour or dessert snack. Now that they are in season I bought several bags and froze them. I actually prefer eating them frozen and enjoy the soft crunch. They are mostly hollow, which is why they float, and are eating friendly when frozen. A bag lasts a good while because I eat one serving a day which is 1/2 cup or 55g. for those of you who weigh portions like I do. I guess, in time, I'll move on to a different favorite but I'm enjoying these now. I also love pumpkin, even plain! I'm in hog heaven right now. *snort*

I'm starting my dog portrait today. It's a golden retriever and his face makes me smile. No angst, no stress, just a cute dog face and fur. I like fur.

The cats got me up at their usual time. That gave me an extra hour to sip coffee and enjoy not rushing around, not that I do on weekends anyway.

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend.

Later 'gators.
  #664   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-16, 15:32
Real food!

BF:

Thank you so much, Blue, for your kind words.

Blue, your progress on the current diet sounds terrific in terms of how you feel and weight loss. I'm so happy for you! I know that the diet is restrictive, but it's so nice to have pleasant results.

I used FamilyTreeDNA for my DNA testing. They offer a number of different tests, including a few different levels of Y-DNA tests. However, if you were to choose either Ancestry DNA or 23andme, FamilyTreeDNA does allow upload of your raw autosomal DNA data from these other services to their database for $39.00. There is a surname project that has been going on for some time for my family surname. Without the Y-DNA testing, I could not participate, which is something I have been wanting to do. There is a genealogical wall that occurs in the mid-1700s in Rhode Island with this branch of my family, and the surname project is actively working on breaking through. The amount of information I have regarding my family on my father's side really is quite huge. We have so much information, which is wonderful. Despite that, I'd love to see this particular breakthrough occur. It remains one of my genealogical curiosities that never quite leaves me, particularly since there are a couple of different theories based on available historical records.
  #665   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 10:02
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

The scale is still my friend even after having nightshades last night for dinner. I made zucchini noodle spaghetti for dinner and it was fab. I think I'll saute the spiral cut zucchini next time because they can really water down the sauce when cooked in it. Because I ate tomatoes, I didn't have a glass of wine and I avoided all cheese which would have made it perfect. I also gave up my binge food cranberries. My body can't handle all of those so I had to choose. It sucks to be me at times but it was nice having a "comfort food" meal on an autumn evening.

We have some missing links in my dad's lineage too that I'd like to figure out. Not sure how we can do that. I'll have to ponder that. Cousins would be the only way to accomplish it now and most of them are second cousins. That's getting a bit remote.

I'm back to totally no froo-froo eating today. Let's hope my progress continues.

Later 'gators.
  #666   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 17:11
Real food!

BF:

Blue, that's great that you continue to have good success with the current dietary plan. Are you still feeling better, as well?

I find I can so very easily overdo it on cheese, as I love it, but I also do much better without it And, lately, when it comes to choosing between wine and pretty much any other luxury food, the wine wins LOL I have found myself in moments of binging on grapes, lately, though (sadly.) Grapes are quite carby. However, sauteed zucchini noodles sound really tasty, and they would not be anything risky. I should really look more at that sort of thing. I cannot be in the mode of "it's okay to eat yada, yada, yada because I fasted yesterday" or whatever. Dr. Fung's words of warning from his book come back to me.

Second cousins are an option with DNA genealogy, although you can end up with a lot more meaningless matches. The best option there is to look at the possible DNA matches that come up for your y-DNA donor that also have a surname match. Since you're looking at the males inside the male line, so the surname probably didn't change. It also requires relying far more on any historical record back up, but at that point, you may have people involved who could provide records that help fill in the gaps.
  #667   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-16, 10:43
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Life is still good and the scale is still my friend. I'm choking down my supplements and looking to keep improving. It has now been one week of detox and I have noticed that the lichen planus skin outbreaks are starting to fade and flake into oblivion. I've had them for months and they were puffed and itchy until just a day or so ago. Now they are mostly a non-issue. May it continue!!!!

I am really starting to believe that leaky gut is a major health issue with many of us and it is SO EASILY reversed if one is brave enough to eat clean. I have had thyroid nodules and autoimmune issues for years. Dr. Amy Myers' thyroid summit was a big boon to me and made me realize that the supplements I was avoiding in Dr. Davis' Wheat Belly protocol were actually needed. I have not taken anti-inflammatory meds of any kind because the joint pain is very much alleviated, my spots are disappearing and I'm hopeful that it will continue. We'll see. I may just go hug that tree after all. Far out!

I might be stuck when it comes to that Y chromosome, Lab. My dad had two sisters and one brother. The girls had boys and the boys had girls. I haven't seen any of them in decades. Let's just say he came from a dysfunctional family. The generations before were interesting, kind, and successful. His lost its way a time or five. We often marveled at how he could have come from that family. I do see one of my female cousins and her son but her mom was one of the girls. Watered down Y's for sure as far as what I'm seeking. Oh well. The mystery continues.

I voted today. My fervent hope is that facebook now shuts the heck up about it. Both sides have vexed me no end. Enough already!

So there we are. One week and I see improvement on all fronts (and backs).

Later 'gators.
  #668   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-16, 12:58
It's Only Food!

BF:

Afternoon, Kids.

My spots are still fading and I'm still on track. I bought some collagen capsules to add to my regimen. Honestly, I'm starting to feel like Euell Gibbons. Yes, I am SO telling my age. Back in the 1970's he was in a Post Grape-Nuts commercial and I can still hear him say "The taste reminds me of wild hickory nuts." He was an expert on nutritious plants for those of you who never heard of him and he is long departed.

My weight is hovering but I've had wine two nights in a row. Don't judge me. We had an election. It was for mental health.

It's Friday Eve and in my world that makes it wonderful!

Later 'gators.
  #669   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-16, 09:47
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Down 1.2 pounds this morning so I'm crowing about it. Yes indeedy, this old crow is a happy chick.

The lichen planus blisters are fading more each day and I'm sleeping without any otc sleep aids. My aches and pains have greatly subsided and I haven't needed NSAIDS. In other words, no grain, no dairy, no eggs, no nightshades, almost no sweeteners (I use stevia drops in my salad dressing) and gut healthy supplements seem to be making a positive difference. We'll see if adding collagen will be helpful as well. I just got word they shipped.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone. Whatever your path, make it work.

Later 'gators.
  #670   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-16, 17:42
Real food!

BF:

Hiya, Blue. Congratulations on all your success as of late in the weight and health departments! It sounds as if this is really giving you some excellent results. This is so great.

I recall the Euell Gibbons commercials. I always like him and the commercials. I remember being sad when he passed.

Let's see...Jim turned 70 this week. My granddaughter turns 1 this weekend. So...birthdays!

Otherwise, working and trying to keep from binge-eating. Yeah...this past week or so, it seems all I do is eat a bunch of junk instead of good food. Well, I do go through periods like this where it is hard to get back on track. But, I know that I will. Trying not to stress over it, as that only makes it worse. It's a journey.
  #671   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-16, 09:50
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Happy Birthday to all, Lab! We all cycle with eating be it staying on track or eating certain foods. It's life. That's why I keep at it because it never ends and is what it is.

The collagen capsules came yesterday so I began them last night with my other fistful of supplements. Honestly, if I hadn't been seeing improvement, I'd make fun of myself.

Another improvement for me is with dental care. The lichen planus creates blisters on cheeks and gums and sandpaper-like gums that bleed easily. In addition as of late, whenever I brush my teeth, my nose runs as if someone turned on a faucet. I've been battling that for the last couple of years. That has just this week stopped. I brush with a baking soda / salt mixture which also helps. My nose isn't running like a faucet. I can't tell you how good that is. I'm getting my life back. Because of that, I'm choking down the recommended supplements and avoiding foods that I never thought I could do without. It just isn't that hard.

You know what else isn't that hard? Fasting on weekends. Who knew I could do it but I've had two weekends now where I stayed with one meal only (dinner). Yay me! There are challenges coming. We have friends coming as house guests the first two weekends in December. Our friends from North Carolina are coming for a weekend and a longtime (junior and senior high school) friend is flying in for a week. That means entertaining and eating out a lot. Planning is going to be a must. I'll just have to do it.

Hope your paths are straight. If not, don't worry. Hills provide views.

Later 'gators.
  #672   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-16, 08:32
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

I continue to move down and feel better. What else can I say?
  #673   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-16, 03:24
Real food!

BF:

Blue, I am so happy for you. It is not lost on me that you have had to make a lot of changes and concessions to get the health and weight loss results you are getting. And, there you are, doing it and reaping the rewards. I'm very glad you have found something that gives you a great return. I really am. Enjoy your weekend with your friends and try to maintain that whole "it's a journey" thing. In other words, don't be hard on yourself if you do indulge a bit during your time with them.

I am just up really late obsessively writing code. Thought I'd drop in before I do the sane thing and go to bed. It is 1:20 a.m. here, after all! And, I will be working more in the morning, of course. Looking forward to the weekend, though, and hoping to take a little time to relax!
  #674   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-16, 10:11

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hello Friends.

Sorry I haven't been around for over a week. My one foster son, you know the one I have been speaking of, well he lost his mind and has been acting up...well, acting up is putting it nicely, lost his freaking mind would be more accurate. So much so the police were involved because I wasn't able to handle his behaviors one day and he is only 7! So I have been in meetings with social services, then at doctors, shrinks, numerous tests and a hundred other appointments trying to get this little boy the help he needs, all while dealing with my other 5 kids. Very very tired. Good news is that the four foster kids are going to respite this weekend from Friday at supper to Sunday at supper. I am soooooo looking forward to this.

Blue, my dear friend, I caved yesterday and got my scale back. I missed him. He wasn't actually a bad guy, he was misunderstood. I should have been more patient with him. He was just doing his job, reporting the news of my eating habits.

So my daughter brought him home from her school locker yesterday and I weighed myself this morning and I was under 200! I was 199.2! For the first time in about 20 years, my weight doesn't begin with a 2. This is very exciting! OMAD is working for me.

Well, gotta go, off to one more appointment because the school requires the doctor to fill out a form when they have to dispense medicine. So off to the pediatrician to have him complete the schools form.

Have a great day fellow Rats!
  #675   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-16, 07:33
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

I was up excessively early feeding cats. Woke up at 3 with a headache from the glass of wine I had at dinner (more on that later) and played possum until persistent and starving cats urged me to feed them at 4. *sigh* I did so and then worked on my crochet project. I waited until 6 to make the coffee and I'm already 3 cups in. Don't judge me. I have cats.

Y'know, Lab, I'm nicer to myself now. I've wasted a year but I've learned SO much more during this time. I say wasted because I'm back down to where I started at the beginning of the year after traveling UP and UP. Now I'm on a better track.

Jakz, I have NO idea how you do it but I am in awe and admiration. Excuse me while I take a moment to

WAY TO GO, LESLIE!

You give me hope. I aspire to join you. For right now my goal is to be merely overweight.

Now to your son, gosh, what stress this must be for you. I'm going to throw something out there for you to consider. Maybe, just maybe, what he is eating may also be contributing to his emotional issues. I'm not saying it's the root cause and I'm not discounting anything you or his doctors are doing. I do know, from what I've been learning about grains and food additives, that they affect our entire body in a host of ways we often dismiss. I can see significant changes for me in avoiding grains, processed foods, dairy and nightshades. But that's just me.

I really hate it when someone finds something that works for them and they start expounding on why everyone should do it, often prescribing for others as armchair experts. I'm not that person. My husband eats a host of things I consider junk. I can only share what I've learned about myself and let him decide for himself. What I do know is that maybe some simple changes in his diet could help. It's just something to consider. In the mean time know that I am praying for you all in this.

As for the scale, it's just the messenger. You were brave to go incommunicado for a time. I'm not that brave.

Today (and this weekend) I have to start and finish my art commission. Last night was haircut date night. We get our hair cut at the same shop and then go out to eat. I had a wonderful grilled steak salad (no croutons, no tomatoes, no cheese) with oil and vinegar along with a big glass of wine. Dang thing turned on me and gave me a whopper of a headache. Hmmph. No weight gain and I'm down a couple pounds from last week.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Later 'gators.