Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#571   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 12:11

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian
I'm so glad to hear you and your family were able to get bikes and enoy them as a family. Cheers to you and your family!

Thanks! I hope you are feeling better (physically and mentally) after your run in with the woman in the minivan last week! Wishing you the best!
Sponsored Links
  #572   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 15:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

Gwen, I'm so glad you got out there to ride! It's a fun family activity that will hopefully be the start of some good lifelong habits for the kids, too!

As for the bike computer....I would get one if I were you! They aren't expensive and they can help you track miles, speed, etc. I've had one for years and actually have journals going back at least 10 years where I've recorded all my rides! It's nice to see where I'm improving and where I need to challenge myself! I try to make sure I get at least 1000 miles a season and lately it's been closer to 2000 miles a season...the computer helps me track that and get closer to my goals!
  #573   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 09:58

Stats: 276/210.8/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I am so glad I found this thread. I have been dieting for about 9 months now, and now feel comfortable to finally get back on a bike. Knowing how I am, I decided to buy a bike at our local department store. I spent about $100 and so far I am happy with it. I wanted to get my body back into bike shape...and make sure I was not going to quit before I upgraded to a better bike. It's been great so far. My kids have their bikes and when the weather has been nice (which hasn't seem to be much lately) we go for evening bike rides.

I worry with my bad eatting habbits that my kids will follow in my steps and become overweight. I am glad to find an option that is fun and healthy for us.

I am going to look for the bike computer. That sounds like something that would be good for me. I have been interested in how far I have been biking and the benefit for me. I think that will keep me to continue riding.
  #574   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 11:37

BF:

Another thing that is fun to track bike rides is the MapMyRide website....you can enter all the routes you ride, add comments if you want, etc. It's nice to look back and check the different routes and miles and it often helps to decide a new route, too.
  #575   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: diabetic regulation
Stats: 264/225/180 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Gweny70
The main thing, as the group has noted, is that you're out riding with your family and having a good time. I truly envy you every moment you're out there. I hope to be back out there soon. I'm still working out the details with my doctor and my better half, but I plan on winning this argument (at least that's the plan )

While admittedly I'm a shop advocate, (hang on...cat in lap, must give attention before anything else!)
(Ok...he's done)
I'm foremost a cycling fan and if you are out there riding, then that's what counts. If your family wants to go with you, then that's a bonus. Not just that but it's a great incentive to keep going and reach your goals. Being healthy and happy...isn't that what this forum is really about?

PS. Computers are cool and it's a great tool to track your progress, but don't forget to experience the world around you. That's one of the best things about cycling.

Cheers and congratulations!
Kevin
  #576   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 07:02

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Thanks Kevin and Linda for the encouragement!! I didn't get time for any riding yesterday but after work tonight the family and I are going to take a ride! Can't wait! We are truly enjoying ourselves!

Picked up a bike computer last night! Thanks for that tip! Never would have thought of it! I definitely will be taking the time to enjoy my surroundings--that's the best part! But it will be nice to have an idea of how fast I'm going and how many calories I've burned....an added bonus!

Chigirlher--sounds like you are getting the family involved as well! I'm right there with you! I know I struggle with getting my 14 year old off her butt and out of the house...and this has been a great and fun way to get her active! And the fact that me and my DH are excited about it is rubbing off on her! IN fact I started a Family Fitness calendar for us. For each 15 minutes of activity (walking, biking, playing a sport, gardening, exercise video, etc.) that person gets an Activity Star. Everytime you individually reach 50 stars you get a grab out of the Prize Bag. In there I have pieces of paper with different prizes written on them--things like: different $$ amounts, a new cd, a new book, a manicure, a pedicure, a week of no dish duty, a new video game, a new piece of jewelry, movie tickets, breakfast in bed, etc. And then additionally whoever gets the most Stars for the month gets an extra grab from the Prize Bag. We also decide on a "Healthy Habit" for the month. This month it is trying to drink at least 6 8oz glasses of water each day. Each day you do that you get an extra Star for that day. That's going really well too!

When I first told my DD about the idea she wasn't very interested or enthused (she IS 14 lol) but once we actually started it..(which was just this month) she has gotten really into it! In fact we all have! She got upset the other night when she had to finish a task because she was so anxious to go exercise. That has NEVER happened before! Lol. It's early on..as I said we only started it this month but so far so good. I just wish I would have come up with this idea sooner! I'm hoping we keep up our excitement for this! I just want us to be healthier and more active..I don't want to be the family sitting on the couch all the time. I want us to be the family out being active and having FUN who forgets about the couch and the tv....maybe we are on our way there--the TV didn't even get turned ON Sunday or Monday. That is a FIRST. And as an added benefit I see my daughter more. She isn't closed in her bedroom as much. We are spending time together! And for me I wanted the focus for her on developing healthy habits...not being critical and obsessed with her weight and body...but learning to love it and all the great things it can do.

Ok, sorry for the long post...and this probably wasn't the right thread to post all of that but just was excited to share! A lot of this started with me wanting to ride a bike again--and that has been a main part of us getting active again! YEAH!
  #577   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:56

BF:

Gwen, your family plan for activity and better health is fantastic! I wish I had thought of stuff like that when my kids were little!
  #578   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 15:20

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Boo and Hiss to My LBS

About a month ago I decided to do the "right" thing and bought a new bike at my local bike shop. Well the other day I "biffed" it and needed a wheel, so I went to the shop where I bought the bike expecting that they would carry a replacement. Not only do they not carry it, but they could not order one either do to something to do w/ the manufacturer. They carry several models of bikes w/ the same wheel, so I was perplexed as to why they #1 wouldnt carry replacements, #2 why they would carry bikes that they cannot get replacement parts for.

The woman acted as if I should be kissing her ass for selling me one off one of the other bikes. Frankly, I never got any kind of attitude for my bike guy at Walmart, he ALWAYS had what I needed on hand and was genuinely thankful for me being a customer.

I plan to upgrade further in another 1.5-2 years, so this lady just "attituded" herself right out of a future sale. Nor will I be taking my bike to her for tune-ups etc.

Thus if anyone in Phoenix is thinking of purchasing a bike, I strongly do NOT recommend Bike Den ~ 43rd ave and Cactus.
  #579   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 19:40

BF:

Quote:
About a month ago I decided to do the "right" thing and bought a new bike at my local bike shop. Well the other day I "biffed" it and needed a wheel, so I went to the shop where I bought the bike expecting that they would carry a replacement. Not only do they not carry it, but they could not order one either do to something to do w/ the manufacturer. They carry several models of bikes w/ the same wheel, so I was perplexed as to why they #1 wouldnt carry replacements, #2 why they would carry bikes that they cannot get replacement parts for.

The woman acted as if I should be kissing her ass for selling me one off one of the other bikes. Frankly, I never got any kind of attitude for my bike guy at Walmart, he ALWAYS had what I needed on hand and was genuinely thankful for me being a customer.

I plan to upgrade further in another 1.5-2 years, so this lady just "attituded" herself right out of a future sale. Nor will I be taking my bike to her for tune-ups etc.

Thus if anyone in Phoenix is thinking of purchasing a bike, I strongly do NOT recommend Bike Den ~ 43rd ave and Cactus.
Wow! That's rotten for you! I'm sorry you got that poor treatment....the bike shop we go to is absolutely fabulous....if you lived in this area, I'd send you there!
  #580   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 16:53

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:

I'm curious to see if you have an update on your problem with your bike? Personally, I'd find the next closest dealer that handles your brand and inquire of them. Your problem with them makes no sense to me. And it does not do a good turn for the shop either!
  #581   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 08:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I'm curious to see if you have an update on your problem with your bike? Personally, I'd find the next closest dealer that handles your brand and inquire of them. Your problem with them makes no sense to me. And it does not do a good turn for the shop either!

I decided I was ready for a road bike (light weight frame, super skinny tires etc.) went to a different shop in town, and bought myself a super sweet bike (Giant Dash) as a Christmas/Birthday/ congrats-to-myself-for-losing-100-lbs present! It's a zippy little bike, on my birthday last week I rode 54 miles (longest ride I have done to date)
  #582   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 16:18

Stats: 425/252/199 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
I decided I was ready for a road bike (light weight frame, super skinny tires etc.) went to a different shop in town, and bought myself a super sweet bike (Giant Dash) as a Christmas/Birthday/ congrats-to-myself-for-losing-100-lbs present! It's a zippy little bike, on my birthday last week I rode 54 miles (longest ride I have done to date)

So jealous,,,,,, Its currently 5 here so no riding for the next few months...

But come may I plan on being all over the bike.

Gratz on the weight loss...I know how it makes you feel, I am also on a program to change my life and since June I have dropped 130lbs to date..
  #583   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 20:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulas
So jealous,,,,,, Its currently 5 here so no riding for the next few months...

But come may I plan on being all over the bike.

Gratz on the weight loss...I know how it makes you feel, I am also on a program to change my life and since June I have dropped 130lbs to date..

WOW 130 lbs that is so terrific! Too bad about having to wait till May, I'm so glad I can ide just about every day of the year, though when it hits 120 out here makes me rethink it, but I do it anyway, If that doesnt kill me nothing will lol
  #584   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 09:41

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:

The dash is a great bike. It came down to the men's version of the Dash or the Seek for me. On the men's side of Giants line the Dash is called the Rapid...

Congrats on losing 100 pounds and congrats to Romulas for losing 130! I'll get back to the 100 pounds plus before next season!
  #585   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 09:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
The dash is a great bike. It came down to the men's version of the Dash or the Seek for me. On the men's side of Giants line the Dash is called the Rapid...

Congrats on losing 100 pounds and congrats to Romulas for losing 130! I'll get back to the 100 pounds plus before next season!

I've rode other Giant bikes, was a while ago so I dont remember the models, but I've found them to be good, sweet riding bikes. Which one did you get?

One thing I learned on my 50 mile ride, I didn't have the seat properly set forward enough. No big deal for my daily commuting, but after my long ride my wrists were aching from trying to keep myself back enough on the seat to avoid major discomfort "down there".