Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-15, 15:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
You'd think it would be controlled almost exclusively by customer demand, but it really isn't. The bigger the grocery chain, the less control the individual store has over what and how much they stock.

It's downright diabolical.

I believe every food corporation has a dream. An evil dream.

Why are they bothered with retooling and manufacturing and coming up with new foods? They will control the shelf space. They will control the products.

They will shrink their product line as they expand the shelf space. The shopper has no choice but to buy it. And so, one day, they make maximum money by making only one thing, and it fills the store.

I call it: People Chow
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 11:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And today....Consumer Reports selects whole milk, full fat yogurts as the best, cautions readers to avoid those with added sugar. Whole milk/Greek yogurt is the growth category with 100 new products.

Reviewed on GMA, quotes reasons for the CR advice from new studies; more protein, more/better probiotics for gut, more weight lost, etc.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/con...s-diet-48195097 Four categories, whole milk and Greek, with and without added fruit.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 11:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Currently gazing into the sky to try and see the flock of pigs when they fly by . . . . .
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 14:42

Plan: SCD Diet
Stats: 223/199/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

That makes sense to me. I like to cook and make my own yogurt using organic whole milk (Grassmilk from Organic Valley). I typically let my yogurt- maker run for 24 hours instead of the typical 8 hours. That increases the amount of probiotics and reduces the amount of lactose. It is a bit of work, but I would not go back to commercial yogurt. Much healthier and much tastier with whole milk (fat).
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 03:47

Great if you can make it and let it sit longer. You don't even need a yogurt maker...here's one in a slow cooker. http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and...w-cooker-yogurt

In the two years since this original WSJ article ran, there is indeed more full fat yogurt. But the low fat sugar laden ones haven't gone away...there is just more yogurt. Also coconut and goat milk yogurt and other alternate milks and more kefir. Maybe the market has expanded due more for the added probiotics, but whatever, full fat is expanding. That recent Consumer Reports story may have helped also. Now if full fat yogurt would be part of school lunches...that would be progress.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 04:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

If you like homemade yogurt, try making homemade kefir. It's far easier (no heating or cooking involved), and it has more healthy bacteria and yeast cultures. I use full fat A2 milk from Snowville Creamery, and the resulting kefir is thick, creamy, and delicious. You only need to purchase the kefir live grains (avoid the powders) that provide the cultures to get started. It provides a batch of kefir in 24 hours. Very easy and good for you!
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 05:19

Plan: SCD Diet
Stats: 223/199/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the kefir tip. I will try it out.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 05:36

Later checking the Sunday coupons....

Quote:
Oui is an all-new French style yogurt by Yoplait that is made with simple, non-GMO ingredients like whole milk from cows raised on a diet of only non-GMO feed and real fruit that are poured and set in each glass pot. The recipe is inspired by our traditional French recipe. With a unique, thick and creamy texture, real fruit on the bottom and subtly sweet, fresh taste, Oui brings a new offering and experience to the yogurt aisle.

So what crap was in the traditional "French Style Low Fat" yogurt that has been been peddled the past twenty years?

I am not blameless...my DD now 25 loved the Banana Yoplait and most other flavors too...all sugar. Soccer Moms everywhere thought it so healthy!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-27-17 at 05:55.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:13

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Later checking the Sunday coupons....

So what crap was in the traditional "French Style Low Fat" yogurt that has been been peddled the past twenty years?

I am not blameless...my DD now 25 loved the Banana Yoplait and most other flavors too...all sugar. Soccer Moms everywhere thought it so healthy!

I thought the Yoplait that's been around all those years was considered to be Swiss style, not French.

The ingredients list is certainly better for the Oui yogurts than for their standard yogurts - whole milk (instead of low fat or fat free), with no added gelatin or starch to thicken or stabilize it so that it maintains the proper texture for a particular product. Sugar content varies of course, depending on if it's the plain, or one of the fruited flavors.

At any rate, that's why it's being cultured right in the little glass pots - if you culture it in a big vat, then transfer it to small containers for sale, the yogurt breaks, and the whey separates, so you need to blend the whey back into it, and add gelatin and/or starch to stabilize it. (or drain off all the whey, leaving Greek yogurt)

I had no idea that made it French yogurt though - I thought it was just real yogurt if you didn't add a bunch of gelatin and starch to stabilize the broken yogurt. Also, a lot of the Swiss style yogurts sold way back when were heated after being cultured (in order to properly dispense and activate the starch and/or gelatin to stabilize it), which of course kills off all the active cultures.

The exciting part about this is that it means that back when I made yogurt regularly, I made French yogurt! Oooh-la-la!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:27

General Mills has had the distribution rights for thirty years, but bought 51% of Yoplait in 2011. When I was checking the date earlier, found this comment:

Quote:
Among the earlier bidders for Yoplait was China's Bright Foods. But in France, where the government has deemed yogurt a strategic asset, the potential sale to a Chinese company was viewed with skepticism. General Mills' existing relationship with Yoplait made a deal with the U.S. company more politically palatable.
Swiss or French, since when is yogurt a strategic asset?
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 12:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I like being able to pour off the whey, gets rid of some of the carbs. I probably shouldn't get a vote though, I only buy yogurt about once every third year or so.

Sometimes I squirt some sugar-free koolaid into heavy cream, the malic acid in the koolaid causes the heavy cream to thicken up some, if you've got the patience. Very wholesome.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 13:37

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Before I stopped eating dairy I made my own yogurt with organic half and half (sometimes whole cream) from local grass fed cows. It even came in glass bottles. I fermented it 24 hours and then let it drip to get rid of the whey. I loved the stuff but unfortunately dairy does not love me. If there's one thing I miss it is my homemade yogurt. I also used to make kefir but the yogurt was my favorite.

Jean
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 18:47

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
General Mills has had the distribution rights for thirty years, but bought 51% of Yoplait in 2011. When I was checking the date earlier, found this comment:

Swiss or French, since when is yogurt a strategic asset?

Probably since it became such a huge portion of the dairy aisle, because it is definitely large, and taking over more and more of the dairy aisle all the time, because it sells so well.

Pea Pod grocery delivery doesn't carry anywhere near everything that the store carries, but even they have 283 results when searching "yogurt". That's a lot of different brands, flavors, sizes and types. Of course, most of it is fat free or low fat.