Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 11:02

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Coconut Diet

I'm looking for a forum to discuss the coconut diet. I posted this on another forum but got no replies. I am currently reading "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon. I've read some posts about it on other sites but they don't mention the book. I would like to get your opinions and experiences with the diet and on coconut oil in general. The book has been helpful. For my weight, I am supposed to take 4-1/2 tbs. a day. I've been doing this amount for about four days and I have noticed an increase in energy and a decrease in hunger. The authors write that coconut oil and cod liver oil can cure many ills. Although I have never been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I have many of the symptoms (low BP, low body temp, tired, etc.) Has anyone read this book? What are your feelings about coconut oil and cod liver oil? Has anyone with thyroid problems or other illnesses seen improvement after taking the oil?

I took my measurements about 2-3 weeks ago when I started back on LCing and experimenting with coconut oil. As of now, I have lost 1-1/2" off my waist and 1" off my hips!!! I've only lost 2-1/2 lbs. Along with the coconut oil, I am following a my own modified Atkins Induction program and doing 20 mins. of bicycling 5-6 times a week. Something must be working!!

Hope to hear your opinions, progress, etc.

Abby

Last edited by Abby3 : Sun, Mar-29-09 at 15:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 14:42

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Sorry, I'm new to low carb, and know nothing about that diet -- but there might be postings about it on the PLAN COMPARISON FORUM. Perhaps you could do a search there:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...daysprune=&f=68

LOTS of posters here seem to eat lots of CO, so there's thousands of postings about it; however, to learn about its impact on thyroid, use the scroll down menu at the bottom of this page to get to the THYROID health forum.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 15:59

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Annie, thanks for the advice. I just posted on the plan comparison forum.

Abby
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 18:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278.9/227.5/140.0 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have the coconut you need for this diet and you should take a few tsp a day so I did but could not stand the texture in my mouth it made me sick...I'm sure it's a good one but I had to pass!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:25

Plan: Weston A. Price-ish
Stats: 148/147/134 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

It sounds like you're making great progress! I read the book last year and have been using coconut oil for about 4 years now, but not at high enough levels, IMHO, and I think my sourdough bread eating was working against me.

I've started to up to coconut oil and eliminate the bread and am exercising more. I do have hypothyroidism and am hoping the CO will speed up my metabolism. I'm working up to 2 T. per day for now and will aim for 3 T in a month or so. I was probably only having 1 T. per day before this week... I feel like it's time to get serious with it and eliminate the carb cravings.

Keep us posted!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:32
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

Hi Abby!

I have not done the Coconut diet, but have supplemented with Coconut Oil with positive results!
I didn't use over 2T a day, I used it a teaspoon at a time, usually in my coffee.

I prefer Krill oil over the Cod Liver Oil - Watkins makes a good tasting lemon CLO that I can stand the taste of though.

Wishing you success Abby - you've done a fabulous job...Congrats on the hard work!! ~Cheryl