Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-17, 08:30

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Low carbing, uric acid and joint pain?

I've been on low carb for 6 weeks now and at first I was sleeping much better. The past few nites it seems I just cant get comfortable and I am feeling pain in my joints - pretty much all over but mostly in my shoulders, back & knees. I do not think its due to the exercise as I think my body has pretty well adjusted to that, and I found this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/3...in-atkins-diet/

Any advice on this anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-17, 08:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I do have some joint pain, all in my shoulders. But the cause is fairly obvious, two independent accidents where I fell hard and landed on my shoulders. I find caffeine really effective against that, I drink a fair amount of coffee, but I find I have to cycle off of it once a month or so or I build up too much tolerance.

This seems a little quick for you to be developing problems with gout, although it's possible increased uric acid is worsening a pre-existing condition.

I find wear and tear on joints from exercise a bit different from muscle, sometimes my muscle will be sore at first from an exercise, but adapt in a few days, where I might feel no real strain in my elbows doing a new kind of pullup, but then find them feeling chronically sore a month later.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-17, 08:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
This seems a little quick for you to be developing problems with gout, although it's possible increased uric acid is worsening a pre-existing condition.

It could be a delayed reaction to my exercise regimen but I also jut read this:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects/gout

This also may be nothing, I'm not having any swelling or pain in my big toe joint, but I am at that 6 week point right now so maybe the uric acid does have a role and what I am experiencing is just temporary.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-17, 11:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My first advice is not to read Livestrong for quality articles on medical conditions. Gout pain is in the extremities, not major joints.

But since you did link to Livestrong, one possibility is you have developed a food allergy.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/3...nee-joint-pain/

Eating too many eggs or tree nuts on LC can cause an allergy to develop even as an adult. Eliminate them (or anything else on the list you may be eating much more of than previously) for a month, and then reintroduce it in reasonable amounts.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-17, 14:09

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Didn't you just start resistance exercise with rubber bands? That's where I'd look for the origins of joint pain.

Back off a bit: lower the tension in the rubber bands, lower the number reps, allow yourself rest/recovery days, allow your muscles to strengthen over time (it's a process of breaking down and rebuilding them) and see if the joint pain subsides.

What you really don't want to do is pull a tendon or ligament or even tear a muscle. Any of those can derail your exercise progress.

Last edited by Liz53 : Sun, Sep-17-17 at 15:13.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 10:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My first advice is not to read Livestrong for quality articles on medical conditions. Gout pain is in the extremities, not major joints.

But since you did link to Livestrong, one possibility is you have developed a food allergy.

Oh that's just great, something else for me to worry about! (J/K).

Actually, I've been trying to vary my diet quite a bit, mainly because I'm playing with recipes. The only thing I've been consistently consuming on a daily basis that's "new" is the coconut oil coffee once a day. With regards to eggs, I was eating a lot to begin with but for the past week, between myself and my wife, we've eaten less than a dozen - I've been subbing avocados or just having some sausage or bacon minus the eggs on days when I don't skip breakfast.

I took an Epsom salts bath last nite and I did sleep better and feel better today - maybe just coincidence - it was my first time.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 10:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Didn't you just start resistance exercise with rubber bands? That's where I'd look for the origins of joint pain.

Actually that is in my plan now, but all I did the day I bought them was play with them a little. I'd been feeling sore for about 3 days and have not actually begun that yet - I may start today after I see how I feel.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 10:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I don't know what to tell you, Bill. My joint pain completely disappeared after about 3 months on strict low carb upon the total elimination of grains (especially wheat), potatoes, and starch. Each one of us is different, but I know it has helped me immeasurably. Pain in the shoulders is interesting, and I believe that, as others have mentioned, it's more likely an overuse condition or something else. Since going strict LCHFKD, I've been extremely flexible and can say that if I were developing arthritis in that past, that is just what it is now, in the past. I'm likely a good deal older than you, so I'd suggest you give your intense workouts a break for a couple weeks and do some stretching of the muscles and joints involved. That always helped me. Hope it all works out for you soon!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 11:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I don't know what to tell you, Bill. My joint pain completely disappeared after about 3 months on strict low carb upon the total elimination of grains (especially wheat), potatoes, and starch.

Thanks for the input rob. It's only been about a month and a half for me so far so maybe my body has some adjusting yet to do. Also, it could be totally unrelated to my diet, who knows? I got a flu shot and a pneumonia shot about two weeks ago so it could even be a delayed reaction to that. I am much better today so I am going to soak again in some Epsom salt just for good measure in case it helped.