Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 20:56

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Warning label on KFC's new sandwhich

http://www.newsoxy.com/kfc/double-d...ries-12898.html
This is just part of the article but my jaw just dropped when I read this.

Group Want Chicken Sandwich Banned

There's already at least one nutritionist group calling for a warning label on the sandwich. The KFC Double Down is unique in the fact it has no flour bun using two patties of chicken. However, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine wants KFC to marketing the chicken sandwich to children.

The group claims that the food item contributes to childhood obesity. They want to keep ads for the sandwich from within 500 yards of schools. They even wrote their own KFC warning label.

"WARNING -- Eating meat can contribute to obesity in children, and can increase their risk for heart disease, diabetes and cancer."

Ok, so the sandwhich is still a nutritional disaster, but it seems to be headedin the right direction in theory at least. Lose the bun! Now if they can lose the excess sodium and carb coating of that "deadly meat"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 21:00
Registered Member

Plan: Mixed variety
Stats: 120/115/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think the motto is: "any publicity is good publicity especially when it's free publicity".
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 21:08
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Their theory is they don't need anything to be true. It's the big lie theory. All they need to do is promote their 'desire' to have this done and they have in essence not only created a major press release with their 'theory', they have also supplied a news story that will allow thousands of media sources to also publish their 'theory' as part of it. The more people hear it from the more sources the more they will believe it, even if it isn't true.

Advertising barely exists in real form anymore; activism and bad research have become marketing in intentionally indirect form.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 21:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

I would love to hear how MEAT causes diabetes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 21:50

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatepig
I would love to hear how MEAT causes diabetes.

The logic, I believe, goes something like this: Because meat has no insulin response, cells eventually "forget" how to respond to insulin. The lower carb the diet, the more likely the cells are to stop responding to insulin's demands. When someone begins eating carbs, their cells are so stupid that they can't handle it and blood sugar goes through the roof.

Except...the human body doesn't work that way. If it did, our species would have died out tens of thousands of years ago.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-10, 21:58

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

What? Meat controls diabetes. It also controls obesity. It is natural human food. It is nutritious and filling and keeps one fit and slim.

Oh wait, I forgot. I am supposed to eat a high fiber cereal with soy milk instead, right?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 01:05
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Tom Naughton, creator of "Fat Head" had this to say about the new double down sandwich.
KFC sandwich

If you’re reading this post, it means I survived eating one of the new Double Down sandwiches from KFC.

After learning a few weeks ago that KFC would begin offering the Double Down nationwide on April 12, I made plans to try one. But first, given the hysterical health warnings prompted by KFC’s announcement, I put my affairs in order: I made sure my life insurance was paid up and placed a copy of the policy on my desk. I had an attorney update my will. I called my mom to tell her she was a great mother. I also tucked away a note for my wife, telling her I’d understand if she remarried after a reasonable grieving period — say, 25 years.

If you’re not familiar with the Double Down, here’s a KFC commercial introducing it:

Bacon, cheese, and fried chicken … not exactly new ingredients in fast-food restaurants. Apparently the impending rise in fatalities will be caused by — egads! — serving a sandwich with no bread. That probably explains why Michael Jacobson of CSPI isn’t already throwing a public hissy-fit about the Double Down: he can’t use his trademark “heart attack in a bun!” line. I picture him in front of a mirror somewhere, trying out alternates: “Heart attack in a breast! No, dangit, that doesn’t work! Heart attack NOT in a bun!”

Jacobson aside, I’m sure you can imagine the reaction among the usual anti-fat hysterics. Actually, you don’t have to imagine the reaction, because I found plenty of headlines and quotes:

On April 12, KFC’s Double-Down Sandwich Will Bear Down Upon Us Like a Train Without Brakes

KFC’s Bacon Sandwich On Fried Chicken “Bread” Starts Killing People Nationwide April 12

The Double Down Proves Once Again That KFC Wants Us All Dead

The KFC Double Down: One Sandwich To Kill You All

KFC’s newest “sandwich” is a heart-stopping creation that seems literally to die for.

Well KFC has heard your demands, and has started facilitating quite possibly the food equivalent to a WMD.

Corporate America has officially lost its buns. Fresh off the signing of the historical Health Care Legislation, Corporate America decides it’s time to ‘Double Down.’

Excuse me? What does forcing other people to pay for your health insurance have to do with improving health? If you can name one provision in the “historical” health-care legislation that will actually make people healthier, please share.

Why pay one angel’s hair of attention to what Michelle Obama, Jamie Oliver, and those killjoys at the American Heart Association are telling you when KFC keeps giving us moist, crunchy ways to kill ourselves, one bite at a time?

I can come up with plenty of reasons not to take health advice from Michelle Obama or the American Heart Association, but I’ll just mention one here: they have no flippin’ idea what they’re talking about.

KFC has helpfully posted both a countdown clock and nutritional content on its website, which is a little like being given the chance to see exactly when and how you’ll die. With any luck, the primary ingredient in the Colonel’s sauce is Lipitor.

Ah, yes … replacing white bread with extra meat will give you heart disease, but Lipitor will save you. As far as the grain lobby and the pharmaceutical companies are concerned, that last reporter would fall into the category of journalists that Josef Stalin referred to as “useful idiots.” (He used the term to describe western journalists who actually believed what he told them.)

As the useful idiot noted, KFC has added the Double Down to its online nutrition menu, so I looked it up. Here are the calories and macronutrient values for the fried-chicken version, which is the one I tried:

Calories: 540
Fat: 32
Saturated Fat: 10
Protein: 53
Carbohydrate: 11

Hmmm … seems to me we’re looking at a high-protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate meal without too many calories. Compared to a lot of other fast-food offerings out there, it’s actually a pretty good choice. Here’s the nutrition info for a Quarter Pounder With Cheese, for example:

Calories: 510
Fat: 26
Saturated Fat: 12
Protein: 29
Carbohydrate: 40

The Double Down provides a bit more fat, a lot more protein, and barely one-quarter of the carbohydrates. So this is the sandwich that proves KFC wants us all dead? You’ve got to be kidding me. I think it just proves KFC wants us feeling satisfied. In fact, according to one of their executives, that was the whole point:

Javier Benito, executive vice president of marketing and food innovation at KFC stated that in consumer studies young men said they were still hungry after eating chicken sandwiches served on conventional buns. “They told us they were looking for something meatier,” he says.

Yup … a thin piece of low-fat meat on a bun can definitely leave a guy feeling hungry. This sandwich won’t. I slept late and skipped breakfast, then had a Double Down for lunch. I wasn’t hungry for hours. I had a small goat steak for dinner, and that’s it.

Is it a tasty sandwich? You bet. Is it health food? Of course not. But the biggest downside is that KFC fries their chicken in vegetable oils — which is exactly what the anti-fat hysterics demanded years ago. The polyunsaturated oils aren’t good, but at least a Double Down isn’t going to add insult to injury by jacking up my blood sugar. I know because I checked.

When I woke up this morning, my fasting blood sugar was 89 mg/dl. An hour after the Double Down, I measured the effect of those 11 grams of carbohydrate: 94 mg/dl. I checked again at the two-hour mark: 92 mg/dl.

Back in my young and foolish days, a typical breakfast for me was a cup of Grape-Nuts with a cup of skim milk — in other words, exactly the kind of “hearty-healthy” choice the experts recommend. Here’s what that meal provided:

Calories: 507
Fat: 2
Saturated Fat: 0
Protein: 21
Carbohydrate: 107

Low protein, very low fat, screamingly high in carbohydrates … a prescription for a blood-sugar joyride to Diabetes Land. I couldn’t find any testimonials about what Grape-Nuts do to a person’s blood sugar, but a couple of years ago, Dr. William Davis posted a reader’s experience with Cheerios — another low-fat, “heart healthy” cereal:

My BG started to rise very fast within 15 minutes after eating the cereal, peaked at about 250 mg/dL at 45 minutes, then slowly dropped. By about 60-75 minutes, I experienced strong hunger and carb cravings as the BG began to slowly drop, and by about 2.5 hours after eating, my BG had suddenly dropped quite low (in the low 70s) and I had developed a nasty hypoglycemic feeling (shaky, irritable, craving sugary foods, headache, etc.)

So let’s review: a sandwich consisting of bacon, cheese and fried chicken produces a blood-sugar reading of 94 mg/dl. A bowl of Cheerios produces blood sugar of 250 mg/dl, at least for some people … but in a nation of type 2 diabetics, Cheerios are promoted as health food, while the sandwich denounced as the equivalent of a WMD.

If only the useful idiots in the media could comprehend that most of the major health problems we see these days are the result of runaway blood sugar. Now that would be “historical.” And perhaps we’d finally see some headlines like this:

Cheerios prove the American Heart Association Wants Us All Dead.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 02:51
Princess PIA

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 210/176.6/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Being in the medical field, I really love this line:

Quote:
Excuse me? What does forcing other people to pay for your health insurance have to do with improving health? If you can name one provision in the “historical” health-care legislation that will actually make people healthier, please share.

I also know a lot of drug reps who believe this line. They bring crap into our office and when we ask for something healthy, ie: veggie tray, they tell us they have to promote their medications and what a better way than job security with junk food.

Quote:
Ah, yes … replacing white bread with extra meat will give you heart disease, but Lipitor will save you. As far as the grain lobby and the pharmaceutical companies are concerned, that last reporter would fall into the category of journalists that Josef Stalin referred to as “useful idiots.” (He used the term to describe western journalists who actually believed what he told them.)

I do intend to try one of these - most likely one day when I am on the run shopping and need something quick. It sounds very good.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 05:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

LOL! As if removing the buns made this thing dangerous? Any logical person would question that, but the media will not. They will blindly publish this moronic thing.

The media shouldn't pay any attention the the PCRM, but they always fall for it.

KFC had redeemed itself the last few years with the grilled chicken. It's my go-to fast food, and it's actually pretty good.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 06:39

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

OMG the meat is the one thing at kfc that is good for you. How about an attack on all the chemicals and other gross things in their food.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 07:20
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It would just figure that after 10 years with KFC being 500 yards across the street from me -- and me not eating there I might add -- they'd go out of business and a month later start offering something I might have wanted to eat.

The wheat and soy in the ingredients kinda put me off but I might be willing to risk it and see what happened. Unfortunately now I don't have a KFC. Maybe if they'd offered that a couple months ago we still would. ;-)
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 08:50

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Create straw man, shoot straw man, declare victory.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 09:18

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is a lot of great information here, but I do have a question and forgive me if I overlooked the answer...what do they inject into the chicken? When I followed Atkins 5 years ago I read every label I could get my hands on, and it very well could have changed, the main fact I was running into was that chicken, unless you bought the very expensive stuff, was all injected with sugar, flour and other stuff I couldn't even begin to pronounce yet alone know what they were. Is that still the case? Is that perhaps one of the reasons I have yet to see a carb count on this item? Have mercy on me folks because I am starting new today after losing it when Dad passed 4 years ago.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 09:40

Plan: Self-administerd
Stats: 207/196/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:
Default Pcrm

The Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is an organization that promotes vegetarian/vegan diets. Although they justify their opposition to meat eating on health grounds, their objections are philosophical.

They receive some of their funding from PETA.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 09:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/246/230 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

As far as I can tell I don't think KFC really injects their grilled chicken with much of anything. Their website lists 0 grams of carbs in all of their grilled chicken options http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/grilled.asp (of course there may be ~1gm of carbs with them rounding down but still.)

You can get the double down with grilled chicken instead of fried. The secret sauce has a few carbs (2-3grams) but you can ask for the sandwich w/o the sauce if you are really concerned about it.

Am I the only person in the entire world that was REALLY looking forward to this coming out? Was planning on trying it later this week.