Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 07:40

Plan: Low carb diet
Stats: 291/282.4/180 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Barbara's New Journey

Hello everyone. I have been low carb eating for three weeks now and have lost 9 lbs. I am 55 yrs old and have been a CARB ADDICT most of my life. Although I am not new to this way of eating, I really FEEL ALONE. This is why I joined this site. I hope to continue on my path to better health but need a lot of encouragement. My doctor told me that eating under 30 carbs a day would be good for me, but I am trying to stay within 20 carbs a day.
My weaknesses have been snacking even when I had the LapBand for over 10 yrs which has been removed a year ago because I felt it did not help me much in weightloss. Instead of eating high carb snacks, I eat nuts instead and have eaten Atkins products.
I would embrace any comments and support along the way because living among family and friends who do not share my view of this can be very discouraging.
Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi, Barbara, and welcome from another Barbara! I just wanted to chime in to say I know exactly how you feel, and you are not alone here. There is so much support from a lot of really nice and helpful people who are at different points on the same path. Look forward to seeing you around here!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 08:06
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome Barbara

You found a nice place here for information, encouragement, inspiration and support. This place certainly worked for me. I was in the same boat - not much support from the family. What turned that around was results. Once I decided to do low carb all the way - regardless of what the others in the family were eating - I started making real progress. I lost more weight than I'd lost on any other "diet" before. I also reversed my T2 diabetes and got off of my BP medication. The family started to take notice. Over time they have started to adopt a lower carb diet, too. At home we don't eat bread, milk, pasta, or potatoes anymore. Cake, candy, and other such treats are rare in our household, too. The shift has been pretty amazing. The other family members do seem to realize that low carb is healthier eating. They don't eat "keto" level low carb, but overall they eat a much healthier fat & protein centric diet. That only happened because I managed to stick to my guns with low carb, getting my health back. Leading by example is the best way. It is hard at first, but once the carb cravings fade away it gets so much easier to stay away from the junk. I wish you the best. Do this for yourself. It does not matter what your family thinks. Show them what this WOE can do and then they may get a little interested in what you are dong.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 08:36

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi, Barbara! Welcome - you've found a great place for support and knowledge, and people who can relate to whatever it is you may be going through.

Mary
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 08:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Barbara
You will find many low carb friends here and you can decide how best to keep in touch with them...read through threads on the sub-forums of interest? start a journal?, join a buddy group? read the TDC? post in the general LC or Atkins sub-forums? whatever might help you the most. One suggestion would be to decide on a plan to follow, it's the #1 suggestion in Newbie Advice. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=405273
In the beginning it helps to know your plan's "rules', the foods allowed, any limits on amounts, etc. The Atkins plan is right at top of that forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98 or you can pick the lowest carb option of this plan: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
No need to feel alone, and there are threads about handling friends who are not LC because that problem does come up often.
All the best,
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 11:22

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Barbara, and welcome to the forum, you will find tons of support and a wealth of information, you just have to start poking around and find it. I found it very difficult to find my way around in the beginning, but then, I'm sort of an idiot when it come to technology, lol...As Janet said, take a look at the ATKINS PLAN that works best for you, I believe if you have over 40 pounds to lose then try the 40 plan, don't be too strict with yourself ant first, this is going to be a learning experience and btw, congrats on the loss so far, Good Luck to you, stop by my journal sometime, I love company. ttyl
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 18:17

BF:
Progress:

Thank you ALL for your kind and supportive words.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 19:11

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Barbara! I just wanted to say that my family and friends are singing a different tune these days. When I first started low carbing my way of eating was every body's punchline. Not anymore. Just stay the course and see for yourself!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 20:52

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

My name is Robyn and I am a carb addict...lol
Welcome, I look forward to getting to know you and sharing this journey.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 06:57

BF:
Progress:

Hi Robyn. I would like to talk with you sometime. Is there a email or another way on this site that we can exchange/encourage one another? (More personal matters)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 16:46

Stats: 250/237.7/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hey Barbara, welcome from a newbie. I'm only on Day 5, so we can begin this journey together.

I, too, am a Carb Addict. I can pass by candy, but bring on the pasta and fresh breads. Anything tastes better on a bed of pasta. I've tried every diet out there and if they allow an inch of pasta, I'll take a mile of it and try to rationalize it. So Atkins it is for me. Like an alcoholic, I just can't have it.

Like I said, I am only on Day 5, but so far I find it sooooooooooo much easier to say tell myself "no, can't have that" instead of trying to limit myself to 1/2 cup here and there. I've got a LONG way to go as you can see by my beginning/current/goal weight and like you, will need all the support I can find.

I find lurking around all the forums and reading the information a way to fend off that urge to snack in the evening. Anyhow, as others said, there is a ton of information at this site.

Good luck.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 20:51

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Hey Barbara, I tried to send you a private message you but you have not allowed it, we could communicate that way, just touch my name and a list will appear...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 03:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New members need 25 posts before using PM, or join to get access and other benefits..no ads.

I am a fan of zucchini spirals as a pasta sub, taste goes so well with tomato sauces. Other vegetables can be spiralized too, or sauté cabbage shreads. Some use those "miracle noodles"
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 07:07

BF:
Progress:

Hi Robin, I selected "send private message to You" but I did not have permission. What should I do further to get thru?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 08:18
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Welcome.

I am an Abstainer. Successful LC people are Abstainers or Moderators. Since I'm an "all or nothing" gal, being hunger free for me means being in ketosis. I can't be in ketosis while eating LC products. Eating real food is essential for me.

I've been experimenting on myself with LC eating since 1972, and am presently at my best health and weight in a very long time. That is because of what I learned on THIS forum from THESE successful people.

The secret to success is What I eat and When I eat. This works for me.

My suggestion is no different from what others have said, except that for me, knowledge is power. Read. Learn. See what works for your body.

Welcome.