Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 12:17

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default What I figured out about curries this week

Recipes like curries and stir-fries can be problematic for low carb because they "need" rice to soak up the sauce. The "crack slaw" recipes fix this problem for stir-fries by proportioning the seasoning and sauce to the meat and vegetables contained in the stir-fry, thus eliminating the need for rice.

What I figured out this week is that recipes that are called "dry curry" do the same for curries. That is, the seasoning and sauce are proportionate to the meat and vegetables contained in the curry. The seasonings cling to the ingredients -- again, eliminating the need for rice. If you search on "dry curry" or "dry curries" you'll find these recipes that work better for low carbers. You can also search on "Indian dry curry" or "Thai dry curry".

Last edited by bike2work : Sun, Sep-03-17 at 12:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 14:38

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Great ideas!
I usually don't find that curries or even pasta sauces need any thing to soak them up. Usually curry for us is spices, cream (or sometimes we use canned tomatoes as a base), ground beef or chicken chunks and a veg, usually cauliflower sometimes beans or chunked zuchinni. Simmer so the sauce reduces a bit and thickens, serve in a bowl with a spoon!

Same with marinara - lots of peppers, onions, ground beef. Very thick - top with parmesan. Call it a stew (:

Last edited by cshepard : Sun, Sep-03-17 at 17:47.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-18, 13:58

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

From my understanding "Curry" [SIC] essentially means "Sauce" in Indian dialect. That's it, and its not even an Indian word in that form. Indians call it curry for the English (and English speaking) who invented the word...AND the spice blend. There is really nothing "Indian" about "Curry" as Americans refer to it. Indians tell you its curry in their restaurants because Americans are not aware of the facts, and if you dont call it curry, Americans dont think its curry, but will believe ANYTHING is curry if you tell them it is. That's not a diss on Americans, I am one...I just happened to have discovered the facts as I researched how to make what is called curry in Thai Cuisine. I'm not a fan of Indian food...too much sweet stuff for me, raisins and other weird stuff in savory dishes...kind of like African food, at least the restaurants I've been to in the U.S., which is the only versions I have to go by.

Curry=sauce=gravy. From my experience dealing with Brits for instance, when they refer to "Gravy"...what we think of that goes over turkey and mashed potatoes, etc....as "sauce". This is from first hand experience seeing someone who was visiting the U.S. From Kent, U.K. actually refer to what we call "Gravy" as "Sauce". They liked it...just called it something else.

All of it is essentially a liquid whether thin or thick that is used with other ingredients to wetten them.

Here's a quote from this web article

http://indiaphile.info/what-is-curr...r-garam-masala/

That backs up part of what I'm describing:

"Indians usually only use the word “curry” when they are speaking English and then only when referring to something with a sauce or gravy, rather than a spice.

Curry is a word invented by the British back when they ruled India. It is the anglicized version of the Tamil word kari, meaning sauce and is now commonly used to describe almost any food of South Asian origin."

So, a dry spice mix is not a "curry" because it is not a liquid. Curry Powder is a British invention, a dry spice mix...but not "Curry"

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sat, Jan-06-18 at 14:05.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 12:24
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I like both dry curries and saucier curries. Depends on my mood. For the saucier ones, I find a bed of finely shredded sauteed cabbage works nicely as a rice substitute. I like that much better than cauliflower rice under most of my curry recipes.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 18:17

Plan: lower fat, no gluten
Stats: 135/132/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

We love curry around here, dry or saucy.
My husband can still eat rice, but I don't.
My favorite sub is oat fiber shirataki rice shapes by Zeroodle.
So far, Netrition is the only vendor I've found for them and they've been out of stock on oat fiber rice ones for months and months.

Ginny in SC